Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but there'd surely be context too: the likely in-roads made this season will form part of any decision on punishment.

Maybe, it depends on the scope of the investigation and terms of reference - may also have no bearing, i wouldn't be hanging my hat on it, i still think it comes down to the scope of the loss we had in 21/22 - that's the magic number.

As I said above, the Commission is anything but independent in reality. 3 quarters of it will be from the PL's own judiciary panel.

Also, bear in mind that the 'independent' commission then hears two arguments: the PL's for referring it and Everton's defence against referral.

The PL are right at the heart of the process. They can present their case however they want and press as hard or soft as they want for a certain outcome. If the club and PL have been working together over the past 12 to 18 months and the club taking its guidance from them it'd be very strange if the made a case for anything draconian.
Burnley and Leeds made complaints and threatened to take legal action against both Everton and the Premier League.
Everton stated at the time that they would be quite prepared to defend themselves vigorously against any suggestion of 'wrong doing' and quite rightly pointed out that they had for some time been working hand in hand with the Premier League on matters of financial fair play.
If this "independant" comission should find Everton guilty of serious breaches, then that would surely hand Burnley/Leeds a 'go ahead' to press on with legal action against the Premier League itself.

Is it correct to say we haven’t been charged, just referred to an independent commission.

If so does that not say that the PL were satisfied but because they keep getting legal letters from (likely the relegated) clubs, they want a fig leaf to hide behind.
Yes to the first para but far from sure you can reach the conclusion that you have come to in para 2.
IMO this is like the Johnson enquiry into misleading parliament. The committee/commission believe there is a prime facie case that the rules have been broken and are now seeking evidence to confirm or deny

Hope Everton have a good legal team behind them to get us out of this mess
Legal team will be chosen by Bill Farhad Denise or some other muppet inside the club.

That lot will contact a lawyer who's dealing with "Have you been in a car accident recently" "Did you trip over that broken kerb" call us to get compensation you deserve on a 'No Wn No fee' basis.

Feel like it can't be just a fine though because then everyone will just break the rules and take the fine on the chin. Chelsea haven't broken any rules because their contracts are 100 years long
Their contacts can be over a million years though doesn't make sense to me that bit, surely the only way around that is if they are paying the club over 8 years? ( Which I can't see )

Although we have wasted so much money, I don't think we have wasted as much as others? I'd like to see villas Vs us etc.

Burnley and Leeds made complaints and threatened to take legal action against both Everton and the Premier League.
Everton stated at the time that they would be quite prepared to defend themselves vigorously against any suggestion of 'wrong doing' and quite rightly pointed out that they had for some time been working hand in hand with the Premier League on matters of financial fair play.
If this "independant" comission should find Everton guilty of serious breaches, then that would surely hand Burnley/Leeds a 'go ahead' to press on with legal action against the Premier League itself.
Well, the PL is self governing and the courts wouldn't be minded to involve themselves in what is a private business.

• Unsure
Reactions: kev
Is it correct to say we haven’t been charged, just referred to an independent commission.

If so does that not say that the PL were satisfied but because they keep getting legal letters from (likely the relegated) clubs, they want a fig leaf to hide behind.
thats a good point, there is a difference between being charged with an offence and a matter being referred for another opinion.

I suspect his figure won’t be far off the mark when we do eventually see the accounts.

It comes down to the 'Covid losses' and how much they can blag them. 170 million claimed when comparable clubs, with similar matchday income, claimed 50 million at most. This was the basis of the Burnley-Leeds anger but the PL signed those accounts off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back