Financial Fair Play investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Burnley and Leeds made complaints and threatened to take legal action against both Everton and the Premier League.
Everton stated at the time that they would be quite prepared to defend themselves vigorously against any suggestion of 'wrong doing' and quite rightly pointed out that they had for some time been working hand in hand with the Premier League on matters of financial fair play.
If this "independant" comission should find Everton guilty of serious breaches, then that would surely hand Burnley/Leeds a 'go ahead' to press on with legal action against the Premier League itself.
Both were told by the PL at the time that Everton had complied with regulations and the matter was being dealt with, ie back off.

Well, the PL is self governing and the courts wouldn't be minded to involve themselves in what is a private business.
they would if that opinion and decision conflicted with other laws, say business or employment (the Bosman case was a conflict of football rules vs employment law and employment law won), it could be argued that the rules are a constraint on the running of a business

Reactions: kev
Legal team will be chosen by Bill Farhad Denise or some other muppet inside the club.

That lot will contact a lawyer who's dealing with "Have you been in a car accident recently" "Did you trip over that broken kerb" call us to get compensation you deserve on a 'No Wn No fee' basis.
Bill will promote Snods and Graham Stuart from within, both local it's all good.

Maybe, it depends on the scope of the investigation and terms of reference - may also have no bearing, i wouldn't be hanging my hat on it, i still think it comes down to the scope of the loss we had in 21/22 - that's the magic number.
They may be minded to punish the club because their own guidance is for a £105M loss over three years and Everton's go way over that. But they know they have scope in their punishment.

Maybe Everton and City get transfer embargoed. Who knows. But I dont think the PL want the spectacle of the world looking on next season with one of its member clubs standing out like a sore thumb as testimony to its own failure to get spending under control. The global embarrassment would be too damaging to 'the product'.

Last edited:
Their contacts can be over a million years though doesn't make sense to me that bit, surely the only way around that is if they are paying the club over 8 years? ( Which I can't see )

Although we have wasted so much money, I don't think we have wasted as much as others? I'd like to see villas Vs us etc.
It was well reported that the Enzo fee in particular was more than his buy out clause so they could spread payments over multiple years so they will have done that with all of them. Contract length helps fee amortisation.

It's not about player trading, it's about losses and no one loses money quite like everton. Villa got 100m up front for an academy player the other year, they aren't in the same league as us. We are building a new stadium without a penny of funding towards it for goodness sake

They may be minded to punish the club because their own guidance is for a £105M loss over three years and Everton's go way over that. But they know they have scope in their punishment.

Maybe Everton and City get transfer embargoed. Who knows. But I dont think the PL want the spectacle of the world looking on next season with one of it's member clubs standing out like a sore thumb as testimony to its own failure to get spending under control. The global embarrassment would be too damaging. to 'the product

Cities punishments be far heavier than Evertons right..right

The Esk has been ridiculed on here for a while now. He warned about us spending money we didn’t have.
Ring any bells to people on here??
He’s been bang on the money in fairness about the club’s business and finance when listening to his podcasts.He does talk sense and knows his stuff.
His figures won’t be far out I reckon.
He also condemns Kenwright and the board so he’s ok by me.
He should apply to be the CEO in fairness as he’d be far better than the one in place now.

they would if that opinion and decision conflicted with other laws, say business or employment (the Bosman case was a conflict of football rules vs employment law and employment law won), it could be argued that the rules are constraint on tree of a business
That's too messy an outcome. Who would profit from that? Would Leeds and Burnley if they were both in the PL - which they will be nest season in all likelihood - want to drag the PL into court?

I dont think so.

The Commission / PL have the ability to see this off with a window transfer embargo ultimately. That would pacify their potential detractors.

It'll be up to Everton to persuade them to hand down something less than that, of course.

Maybe Everton and City get transfer embargoed. Who knows. But I dont think the PL want the spectacle of the world looking on next season with one of it's member clubs standing out like a sore thumb as testimony to its own failure to get spending under control. The global embarrassment would be too damaging. to 'the product'.

But they've gone public now mate, so there has to be some outcome to this or again they loose credibility, again i think it depends on the scope of the loss this year. If say Paul is right and we lost 50 mill we are bang to rights really. Though its actually prob unhelpful speculating - because his figure doesn't include likely deductions as the lads were saying earlier we need to match the loss figure of 13 odd mill to be compliant.

If the loss is on the smaller side or arguably compliant bar splitting hairs - then both the PL and we both have a climb down and a nominal punishment - if its out there and we arguing another 80 mill in Covid losses - then they've jumped now publicly and will be severe - like an embargo.

Again it will be the scope and scale of the loss.

Last edited:

That's too messy an outcome. Who would profit from that? Would Leeds and Burnley if they were both in the PL - which they will be nest season in all likelihood - want to drag the PL into court?
I dont think so.
The Commission / PL have the ability to see this off with a window transfer embargo ultimately. That would pacify their potential detractors.
It'll be up to Everton to persuade them to hand down something less than that, of course.
Oh God! Liquidation it is then. :eek:

But they've gone public now mate, so there has to be some outcome to this or again they loose credibility, again i think it depends on the scope of the loss this year. If say Paul is right and we lost 50 mill we are bang to rights really. Though its actually prob unhelpful speculating - because his figure doesn't include likely deductions as the lads were saying earlier we need to match the loss figure of 13 odd mill to be compliant.

If the loss is on the smaller side or arguably compliant bar splitting hairs - then both the PL and we both have a climb down and a nominal punishment - if its out there and we arguing another 80 mill in Covid losses - then they've jumped now publicly and will be severe - like an embargo.

It is all speculation. But they'll want to be seen to punish us somehow. The 'somehow' part is the question. A points deduction kills us. All parties know that and IMO would ruin the PL next season. A fine would be seen as weak - especially with City's case coming after ours. An embargo would be manageable.

We need to park this issue as of next week and focus on the real existential danger: relegation this season. Let's hope it hasn't affected the players.

It is all speculation. But they'll want to be seen to punish us somehow. The 'somehow' part is the question. A points deduction kills us. All parties know that and IMO would ruin the PL next season. A fine would be seen as weak - especially with City's case coming after ours. An embargo would be manageable.

We need to park this issue as of next week and focus on the real existential danger: relegation this season. Let's hope it hasn't affected the players.
Id really surprised to see a points deduction - as a precedent i think it would only be used if we absolutely flouted the rules and increased our costs as opposed to reducing them, that and the argument of covid and impaired assets would be compelling.

The embargo would be the strictest i think, i wouldn't rule it out depending on the scope of the loss. Again i think that the thing, if we are marginally out a finger wagging and a fine, if we are 10s of million out i can see an embargo.

Id be surprised if it effected the players, there was a lot of narrative about the same thing last year with Leeds and Burnley and it didnt impact - once their wages are paid they wont mind.

Nah. That ship has sailed.

It's one season that's being investigated: 2020/21. If Everton are punished over that then they wont be hearing any other cases.
Not sure about that all….if I am in their shoes, I am scrutinising every little detail around the context of what we were reporting to be exempt from the calculations….they’d have no say over any potential sanction in any event, but they may want to complain over other elements.

I genuinely don't think any of this off field stuff bothers the players, manager, coaching staff. Why would it?
Their contracts and salary are bullet proof and lets be honest that's all they care about, so if we were hit hard and relegated they would just move on as they would anyway. if we got relegated by just being crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back