Five Matches in 14 Days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait. This international break is doing my head in. So boss that we're back in European competition finally.

Also to be as pedantic as possible it's 15 days.

The only cause for complaint I have in this five game in fifteen day spell is why the Swansea game is on Tuesday instead of Wednesday.

I can't understand that.....it would give the same amount of time between the Palace and Swansea fixture as the Swansea/derby games.

Instead we face Swansea forty eight hours after Palace.

I suppose the Swansea match must be on Sky on the Tuesday.

Personally speaking, I can't stand the League Cup. A few have dropped the cliche "it's a trophy" line in this thread. Yeah, you're right, but only in the loosest possible sense. As a result, I hope to see our kids v Swansea.

Wolfsburg have Bayer Leverkusen (the side that beat them to a Champions League spot on the final day last season) after they play us so they'll have one eye elsewhere hopefully. Perhaps both sides will rotate for that one.

Personally speaking, I can't stand the League Cup. A few have dropped the cliche "it's a trophy" line in this thread. Yeah, you're right, but only in the loosest possible sense. As a result, I hope to see our kids v Swansea.

Wolfsburg have Bayer Leverkusen (the side that beat them to a Champions League spot on the final day last season) after they play us so they'll have one eye elsewhere hopefully. Perhaps both sides will rotate for that one.

What is it you can't stand about the League Cup?

I "imagine" it all the time.

In fact I dream about it. I fantasise about it.

EFC fighting on all fronts come the business end of the season.

What's the matter with some people on here......it is only the first week of September and some guys are already fretting over a hypothetical scenario where our club could be involved in all manner of exciting, meaningful games come spring and worrying about us sending out a team strong enough to win sommat.

Have we really raised a beaten generation of Evertonians?

Bring it on, say I ;)

Nothing to do with a losing mentality, I don't recognise the league cup as a proper trophy, it's a trophy no one cares about until they get to the final. Man u didn't even put a full strength team out in the semi final last year, It's only appeal to me is the europa league place. (my opinion can't help it)

On one hand it's a good chance to get the problems at the back sorted out, on the other if we are still having fitness issues doing the full 90 the lack of rest may impact us.

I hope the team we put out for the league cup game is the u21's and hibbert, really the least of our worries it is a useless tournament for us and will only be detrimental.

I hope the "starting 11" doesn't even travel to that game and just stays in liverpool for the rest. If we did that other than west brom there wouldn't even be any travelling to do.

Don't see us busting a gut to beat swansea, best we can hope for is Injury free

Nothing to do with a losing mentality, I don't recognise the league cup as a proper trophy, it's a trophy no one cares about until they get to the final. Man u didn't even put a full strength team out in the semi final last year, It's only appeal to me is the europa league place. (my opinion can't help it)

Man U didn't put a full strength team out against us in the F.A. Cup semi final in 2009 either.

When we heard the team news on Wembley Way that day it gave us all a great boost.

In fact they went one further at the turn of the century by not even entering the competition.

Do you not regard the F.A. Cup as a proper trophy either?

How about the Europa League?

Do you think that is a hindrance as well, not worth the bother?

Last edited:

How can a trophy, an actual physical trophy, be a trophy in the loosest sense?

Guys..... I would be lying if I didn't say I was a little worried about this many matches for us in that short amount of time.

• Sat 13th 15:00A
    westbrom.png
  • West Brom
    barclayspremierleague.gif
  • Thu 18th 20:05H
    wolfsburg.png
  • Wolfsburg
    uefaeuropaleague.gif
  • Sun 21st 16:00H
    crystalpalace.png
  • Crystal Palace
    barclayspremierleague.gif
  • Tue 23rd 19:45
    swansea.png
  • Swansea City
    leaguecup.gif
  • Sat 27th 12:45A
  • liverpool.png
    Liverpool
I know Roberto is going to take the Europa league as serious as possible as he should. I just hope it doesn't affect the EPL or cup games. I also do not want tiredness to be an excuse when these run of games happens. One team has to win it all in either Europa League, League Cup, etc. and they deal with balancing all these games also.

Not being a negative Nancy but just a little worried. Hopefully, the squad can stay healthy. COYB!

Mate, our euro games will have an effect. You just cant deny this or hide from it.

My theory is that preseason was like it was cause of this fact that I just told you.

Anyways, it is tough no question about it.
Personally Im willing to sacrifice few PL games for Europe success cause we will rotate and use younglings like a drunken auntie in caribian cruise

Man U didn't put a full strength team out against us in the F.A. Cup semi final in 2009 either.

When we heard the team news on Wembley Way that day it gave us all a great boost.

In fact they went one further at the turn of the century by not even entering the competition.

Do you not regard the F.A. Cup as a proper trophy either?

How about the Europa League?

Do you think that is a hindrance as well, not worth the bother?

People say its a trophy, but it terms of how prestigious it is...its often mocked.

Thats all down to the media, that and the EL are mocked simply because they aren't the champions league and dont offer a route into it

There was talk after wigan won the fa cup, and then again when hull got to the final, about whether it was "losing its magic". Presumably because they didnt have a showpiece final. Again, CL team vs CL team is all the media want to see. Couple more wins by the teams that aren't supposed to be successful and there'll be seeding to "allow the smaller clubs the chance to play the bigger teams" but leading to the same semi final/final combinations most years.

Simply, if its not CL or chance of qualifying, it doesnt matter to the majority

The younger everton fans will be no different unless we teach them (im only 27 but was brought up on trophies being the benchmark not qualifying for a competition you'll never win.) So what if we win the league cup and people mock us? its not about them, its about us enjoying the success a trophy brings, not getting a pat on the head from the CL-obsessed media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back