• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Football is coming home, Euro 2024 Final, England v Spain(Sunday 8pm)

Driving the ball forward is what Rice is excellent at for Arsenal. At Arsenal he plays like a 8. He got quite a few goals and assists too last season, for England we have him sitting back.
He's a very average player though ability wise. 90% athlete, 10% footballer. Compare him to someone like Olmo and it's night and day.

Yeah I love the tradition of playing 2 attacking mids, one as a makeshift winger who doesn't even go near the wing (Bellingham) and the other (Foden) keeps getting the ball off the actual winger (Saka) for a classic #9 who's instructed to sit deep and run channels.

Set up for antifootball, get poor results, it really is that easy.

A genuinely better option going forward for today specifically:
- - - - - - - - Kane
Gordon - Belingham - Saka

Then don't have two defensive mids doing eff all all game and you're getting places, it's a good start.
You just don’t play Kane its as easy as thT

He has not added anything to the team for the lst 3 tournaments.

Yeah I love the tradition of playing 2 attacking mids, one as a makeshift winger who doesn't even go near the wing (Bellingham) and the other (Foden) keeps getting the ball off the actual winger (Saka) for a classic #9 who's instructed to sit deep and run channels.

Set up for antifootball, get poor results, it really is that easy.

A genuinely better option going forward for today specifically:
- - - - - - - - Kane
Gordon - Belingham - Saka

Then don't have two defensive mids doing eff all all game and you're getting places, it's a good start.
I think my biggest takeaway for England would be you have to sort the flanks out properly. The left being far worse with whatever the Trippier stuff was and the Bellingham being LW today, but also on the right where Saka was left wide with little support or ability to combine a lot. They’ve got great wingers too so this should be fixable.

I don't mind Southgate as a type of DoF for England. He is not blinded by Manure, Arsenal, Chelsea Man city or Liverpool players in the sense of playing for them clubs guarantees a place in the team. He has looked beyond the so called top six to the benefit of the England team but he is not a great tactician to get the best out of those players.

Previous managers have been guilty at looking at 'ONLY' the so called top six teams for players without the hindsight of realising that they may look better than what they really are. I believe Southgate has looked beyond that. He has been a good judge of player despite who they play for and that is why he has got us to the finals of the last 2 euros. He just hasn't got the qualities required as a coach/manager unfortunately
Good shout that. Would like to see him stay on in some capacity. He' s done well since taking over, but just not good enough to take us to the next level as a manager.

He’s not even the best midfielder on either team he plays on.

Someone is going to come in and give me some crap about deep lying midfielders versus other roles and I get it so save your breath, he’s not the best midfielder on either team he plays on.
I made my previous comment without even reading this. You’re utterly clueless about football.

kudos to them making the final, but they never figured out the front 3. The strength of the squad is up top, to sit back and defend is madness. And they only had the right attacking options at the end. Kane thrives with fast forwards who run ahead of him. There’s only one of those in the squad. Southgate far too focused on getting the best 11 out there instead of the best team.

I made my previous comment without even reading this. You’re utterly clueless about football.
Rodri the most vital and irreplaceable player in football went off at halftime and his team played far better and won the game. This is somehow proof of his value. It’s a weird day to be taking this stance!

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back