Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Forgiving players....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know he's not playin' anymore so it's a bit of an irrelevance, but I've never understood all the nostalgia with kanchelskis, meself.

Two goals at the barn (I was in the kop end for that :yahoo: ) all very well & good, but I'll NEVER forgive him for actin' like a right c*** at the end, and that backpass against bradford cancels out anythin' good he did for us.

Lescott. No.
Pienaar. Was more about the fee of buying him back.
Rooney. Yeah. Kid got battered. He's world class now. Still a blue. But hes also a bad wind up merchant (done it to us, United, and the RS in terms of causing meltdowns) so he was bound to upset loads

Rooney and Lescott arguably both went on to bigger things. Both earned shed loads more money and won trophies. The way they went perhaps wasn’t ideal but I’d welcome both back provided the deal was right for the club.

Pienaar for me is the worst one. He didn’t play in the derby cos his head wasn’t right (I hope he didn’t get paid that week) went to spurs for the money (arguably no bigger a club than us) didn’t get a game so came back, a year older, on loads more money than he was on originally, plus we paid a fee for him!! I can never get my head around this one, play any player alongside Baines enough and they’ll form a good understanding. Take Baines out and Pienaar is average.

For the lad who mentioned Kanchelskis, he was immense for us in that first season, and it was felt at the time he was pushed to move on by some dodgy connections he had.

If I was Rooney's age and I'd been persauded by both the trophies and legendary status and lets not forget the clubs dire need for funding (you really think Bill wasnt telling him it was in the clubs best interest for him to leave) and then I came back to the reception he got at the club I loved I think I'd have let my anger and frustration get the better of me.

Yeh he went to far but who hasn't been wound up to the point of doing something you normally wouldnt?

I'd love him back.

Depends on the crime.
I'm not just saying it because of his death but I never had any anger towards Gary Speed when he refused to play as the general feeling was there was something very dodgy going on and Speed refused to talk about it.

Pienaar: As far as I know it has never been confirmed he refused to play and its nothing more than a rumour which is now so infamous its become the truth.

Lescott: Personally I didn't think Lescotts performance against Arsenal in his last game was any worse than any body elses and I thought it a bit odd the Moyes came out and said what he did. Lescott was fantastic for us, he inst a local lad, he now has a Premier league winners medal to his name so for him personally he made the right decision. I would gladly have him back

None of them really bother me anymore. I hated Rooney for a while after he left, but I was only a kid then and Everton seemed like the most important thing the world.

I wasn't very happy with Stubbs coming back after all the claims and counter-claims about clauses in his contract. He really did his best to make the club look bad before doing a U-turn when things went poorly for him at Sunderland.

Did we cheer him when he came back? Not sure we did, so what exactly do you expect someones reaction to be when they're bombarded with stick from the terraces? How dare he give as good as he gets. It's this attitude that says fans can shout whatever they like at players but if a player gives any back they recoil in horror at the sheer affront of it all. Some folks need to get a grip. You're a grown man ffs.
I for one never gave Rooney any stick when he left Everton and im sure im not alone in that so when he came back and acted the way he did i was very dissapointed. Just because people act like idiots giving him abuse does not mean he should stoop to the same level as them.I know he was an 18 year old man but He behaved like an idiot and it changed my opinion of him for the worse and he's done nothing to change my mind since, but its not just footballers who are vile human beings most people are when it suits them, me included.

Money aside...

Rooney has won 4 PL titles, 2 carling cups and a champions league plus other sh*t ones, chances are he would of won none of that here. So yeah I'd forgive him.
I don't hate Rooney because he left us to win things and treble his wages I can fully understand that.I hate him because the way he acted when he came back to Goodison and treated the fans,Many of whom had given him no abuse at all and those who did give him abuse should be ashamed of themselves. I wouldn't like him as a person but if he was slotting goals for us im pretty sure i'd get over it.

Lescott no, Rooney yes. I don't think we'd win any more games with Lescott in the team, genuinely don't
Really? Huh. I strongly disagree but fair enough.

Also, shoe on the other foot, I bet a lot of us would tell Galaxy fans to "get over it" and "he's furthering himself" if Donovan joined us. No double standards there.
Not really the same situation though given their ages and situations. There are some Galaxy fans who think he should go and give it a shot because they know his time with them is likely at an end. There weren't many Evertonians who felt that way about an 18 year old Rooney.

This is a more common situation in US sports (where they have rules which essentially prevent 18 year olds from leaving the teams which developed them) but often a player puts in a decade or so with his original team and then (if he hasn't won anything) goes to another team to try to win. Not all but a lot of the fans respect the decision and end up supporting him in his new team (as much as you can support a team other than your own) because they have so much respect for him.

He'll then often return to his original team (often signing a "one day contract") so he can retire with the team he likes. When someone leaves early or handles the situation badly (Lebron) it still causes ill-will but a lot of guys who put in their time and gave the original team a chance to win with them in their prime are allowed to leave with very little ill-will from the fans. So I don't think Galaxy fans would mind that much actually (there will always be a few nutters of course).

Regardless so far a lot of people who say they might forgive them have used the insanely tired "they're all the same/you'd do the same thing" argument.

They're not all the same (Baines didn't leave when he had the chance) and I wouldn't do the same thing. That said ... I'd forgive both Lescott and Rooney if they wanted to come back because while I think they both handled their respective situations very badly it is not a capital crime.

So I go both ways (nudge nudge): YES they acted like douchebags at the time and I refuse to subscribe to the "they're all the same" or "you'd do it too" nonsense ... and YES I'd forgive them and welcome them back because ultimately in the grand scheme of things (and given Rooney's age) it wasn't that big of a deal.

I'd forgive Rooney, Lescott (just) and have forgiven Pienaar, but someone like Barmby will never be forgiven.

Never ever.
It was all the more satisfying to see his gradual decline as a player culminating in him ending at Hull!

What about the likes of Keown, Hutchison and Hinchcliffe??? Obviously they are long retired now but do their departures still linger uneasily in our memories!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back