• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The package will be available to anyone who takes out a subscription to their pay TV service. There are dozens of ISP'S. I have a mix of Optus services but have Foxtel cable TV.

Incidentally, I've done a search and Optus does have IQ, so that's one problem solved.
Is that with their Fetch TV?
They say EPL will be in HD, but why do i have a visualization of poor streaming/regularly buffering viewing?

Is that with their Fetch TV?
They say EPL will be in HD, but why do i have a visualization of poor streaming/regularly buffering viewing?
Yes. I can't work out exactly what Fetch is, but IQ is referred to in the description. I'm sure it will be in HD but if you search
Optus pay TV packages you'll find out as much as you need to know - except , of course, the detail of the EPL format.

Yes. I can't work out exactly what Fetch is, but IQ is referred to in the description. I'm sure it will be in HD but if you search
Optus pay TV packages you'll find out as much as you need to know - except , of course, the detail of the EPL format.
The streaming part worries me. I guess we wait until June.

I'm sure it will all be just as sophisticated and as simple as the Foxtel coverage is. They've paid $63 million for the rights and it's
not going to be a Mickey Mouse presentation for that money.

I've seen references to streaming but from what I've heard it's blurry, scratchy, come and go and often illegal. Optus is a first rate cable TV operator. Don't worry.

Rights to sports come and go, but Optus has ESPN which currently has the FA Cup, and has beIN* which has everything else you need
for $15 a month. I'm paying $20 thru Foxtel.

BTW. If you do a search, click onto Optus with Foxtel.

*World Cup, Euro' Nations, Champions League, Europa League, League Cup, Championship, German, Spanish, Italian and French Leagues..

.....oh, and the Scottish PL. Can't be bad for $15.

I'm sure it will all be just as sophisticated and as simple as the Foxtel coverage is. They've paid $63 million for the rights and it's
not going to be a Mickey Mouse presentation for that money.

I've seen references to streaming but from what I've heard it's blurry, scratchy, come and go and often illegal. Optus is a first rate cable TV operator. Don't worry.

Rights to sports come and go, but Optus has ESPN which currently has the FA Cup, and has beIN* which has everything else you need
for $15 a month. I'm paying $20 thru Foxtel.

BTW. If you do a search, click onto Optus with Foxtel.

*World Cup, Euro' Nations, Champions League, Europa League, League Cup, Championship, German, Spanish, Italian and French Leagues..

.....oh, and the Scottish PL. Can't be bad for $15.

It's not though mate. It's not going to be Cable like Foxtel. Fetch TV is an internet based streaming vehicle.

It's not though mate. It's not going to be Cable like Foxtel. Fetch TV is an internet based streaming vehicle.
Well, I don't really know what streaming is, apart from Blues on the match thread trying to find one and complaining about the
quality if they do. I still say that Optus will provide a good HD service.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

Well, I don't really know what streaming is, apart from Blues on the match thread trying to find one and complaining about the
quality if they do. I still say that Optus will provide a good HD service.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
Streaming (Optus' Fetch TB) requires an Internet connection to view, unlike your current Foxtel. You are essentially watching through the internet as you do when watching media/YouTube on your computer.

Streaming (Optus' Fetch TB) requires an Internet connection to view, unlike your current Foxtel. You are essentially watching through the internet as you do when watching media/YouTube on your computer.
OK, if I'm having to watch the picture quality of stuff on my computer monitor Optus might have wasted their money. A lot of Foxtel subscribers
might not bother switching to Optus. A lot will, but will it be worth $63 million to them?

I googled 'streaming' before. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but it's obvious that a lot of people don't understand it. I just don't think Optus would fork out that much money and give us an inferior product. Analogue quality vision on such a big product in 2016 doesn't make sense.

Is that what 'streaming' gives us - inferior picture quality - or am I getting it wrong?

Or do you mean that Optus has to be our ISP to access it?

OK, if I'm having to watch the picture quality of stuff on my computer monitor Optus might have wasted their money. A lot of Foxtel subscribers
might not bother switching to Optus. A lot will, but will it be worth $63 million to them?

I googled 'streaming' before. I didn't spend a lot of time there, but it's obvious that a lot of people don't understand it. I just don't think Optus would fork out that much money and give us an inferior product. Analogue quality vision on such a big product in 2016 doesn't make sense.

Is that what 'streaming' gives us - inferior picture quality - or am I getting it wrong?
This is what we are all waiting to find out. The Optus spin is that it will be HD. All good and well, but if we are getting frustrating buffering then ciao..

I dont have foxtel but signed up for fox sports premier league pass which has 4 live games a week and the rest on demand over the internet. Stream quality is really good on ipad and watchable / average when I push it to the TV. Quite often I will be watching football, wife watching netflix and kids on youtube all at the same time with no problems.

I dont have foxtel but signed up for fox sports premier league pass which has 4 live games a week and the rest on demand over the internet. Stream quality is really good on ipad and watchable / average when I push it to the TV. Quite often I will be watching football, wife watching netflix and kids on youtube all at the same time with no problems.
Then I will pass if this is the case.

I'm stuck on a Foxtel contract. I really hope there's some way they can work out a deal for Foxtel to show the matches through Optus.

SBS will be showing 1 EPL game per week on free to air (also a replay). Every team will feature at least once per year.
It'll just be the The [Poor language removed]'s game every week. With such a large fanbase in Australia, it's the obvious choice from a broadcasters point of view. Also gets them past the technicality of promising to show every team at least once. I have literally zero evidence to base this theory on, but it just wouldn't surprise me. You see a Liverpool shirt every time you leave the house in Sydney.

I'm stuck on a Foxtel contract. I really hope there's some way they can work out a deal for Foxtel to show the matches through Optus.
As am I. Unfortunately that ship has long sailed. Best we wait for all the ways Optus will allow people to see the EPL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back