• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Foxtel loses EPL to Optus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is total crap. I have Foxtel for other things as well like AFl, A-League and kids tv for son and maybe some stuff my wife likes to watch. Fetch does not sound like much. Now the other problem I see is watching the FA Cup and any european football. What if we win the FA cup and get into Europa league. Then you would have to have optus and foxtel. FA cup will probably still be on ESPN so would still need Foxtel for that.

No wonder people illegally stream football if you need to pay for each different platform to watch your team. This not including needing Foxtel, Netflix, Presto Stan etc to watch tv shows. People are getting fleeced to watch tv these days and we are letting it happen.

Exactly like here with Sky and BT sports mate. Makes me laugh the way they say competition is better for the consumer. Absolute codswallop.

I can't see them doing that. Their main competitor has a major stake (50% I think) in Foxtel, no way will they be handing them anything other than scraps, and even then it will be week old stuff. Just need a few more of the desirable family/wife channels to appear on fetch and then Foxtel is gone.

If Optus/fetch allow you to record any game, then I'll be happy with that...

not the biggest fan of foxtel, hope they go bankrupt, but no doubt optus will turn out to just as gash but in a different way...they're all the same

I can't see them doing that. Their main competitor has a major stake (50% I think) in Foxtel, no way will they be handing them anything other than scraps, and even then it will be week old stuff. Just need a few more of the desirable family/wife channels to appear on fetch and then Foxtel is gone.

If Optus/fetch allow you to record any game, then I'll be happy with that...

It's being reported in the financial pages that Telstra is looking to sell it's Foxtel holding. I don't know how it will impact on
future access to EPL on TV, but it's another factor to consider.

It's being reported in the financial pages that Telstra is looking to sell it's Foxtel holding. I don't know how it will impact on
future access to EPL on TV, but it's another factor to consider.

All the RL, AFL, The Ashes, Tennis, even the World Cup, aka the stuff that counts, is on free to air anyway. When the Prem goes, what use is foxtel sports package which is nearly 50%of the package, maybe Telstra have twigged this.

I've just come back to see what's happening - not much - but after reading an earlier post from Kithnou I may have found
the solution. If SBS are showing one game live but replays of every other match within 72 hours that'll do for me.

I record and watch most of it later, anyway, so the only difference will be having to wait a bit longer to watch our
match and probably having seen the result. Not perfect, but I can live with it.

The Optus format might be similar to, or even better Foxtel's, you never know, but does it have IQ, or similar? I switched from
Optus to Foxtel a few years ago only because it had IQ and Optus didn't. The programming was almost exactly the same.

Edit. I've re-read Kithnou's post and I might've been getting ahead of myself.

It quotes SBS as showing one match live and replaying every match within 72 hours.
I understood that to mean every other match. Maybe not.

Last edited:

If SBS are showing one game live but replays of every other match within 72 hours that'll do for me.

Is that the case? I must have missed that. If so, it will do me fine as well.It would mean I can avoid anything to do with Optus.

The Optus format might be similar to, or even better Foxtel's, you never know, but does it have IQ, or similar?

Should be announced in about a month, but as it appears to only be available by stream I highly doubt you will get the same HD quality as with foxtel?

Is that the case? I must have missed that. If so, it will do me fine as well.It would mean I can avoid anything to do with Optus.

Should be announced in about a month, but as it appears to only be available by stream I highly doubt you will get the same HD quality as with foxtel?
See my edit, mate. If we do find out in the next month it'll give us plenty of time to make a decision on what we're going to do.

I'm just looking for options right now and there don't seem to be many.

See my edit, mate. If we do find out in the next month it'll give us plenty of time to make a decision on what we're going to do.

I'm just looking for options right now and there don't seem to be many.
"SBS will broadcast matches live and in HD on its main channel (featuring every EPL team at least once throughout the season) as well as providing simultaneous live streaming. SBS will also show a replay of each match within 72 hours."

This is the wording we need clarified.

Is it 1 live match and a replay of every other match for that round? Or is it just a replay of that live match within 72 hours?

If it's the later we are screwed mate.

ok this article sums it up better...we are screwed

It's the 1 live game SBS show that will be replayed within 72 hours only

http://www.adnews.com.au/news/optus-and-sbs-to-show-epl-and-world-cup-games

SBS coverage includes:

• Exclusive free-to-air rights of one EPL game each round as well as a full replay within 72 hours.
  • Simultaneous free-to-air rights to 25 games in the 2018 FIFA World Cup, including first pick on one live game per day, four of the round of 16 games, two quarter-finals, both semi-finals and the final.
  • Free-to-air rights of some games of the 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup, in which Australia will be playing, and the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup.

Unless there's an outfit like BeIN Sports , which offers a lot for $20 a month, that has EPL rights it looks like we'll just have to do
with whatever Optus comes up with.

The choice then might be to buy an old fashioned recording device or a television set with a built in recorder. I'm assuming Optus
doesn't have IQ, but hope I'm wrong.

Unless there's an outfit like BeIN Sports , which offers a lot for $20 a month, that has EPL rights it looks like we'll just have to do
with whatever Optus comes up with.

The choice then might be to buy an old fashioned recording device or a television set with a built in recorder. I'm assuming Optus
doesn't have IQ, but hope I'm wrong.
EPL gone mate. Only with Optus. Wait until June to find out packages.

BeIN going to be awesome and free with sports package.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/bus...s/news-story/2f922ae8c436ec5e822390d180c882aa

As long as Optus make a package available for people using other internet providers, I will be happy. Don't want to have to change providers.

As long as Optus make a package available for people using other internet providers, I will be happy. Don't want to have to change providers.
The package will be available to anyone who takes out a subscription to their pay TV service. There are dozens of ISP'S. I have a mix of Optus services but have Foxtel cable TV.

Incidentally, I've done a search and Optus does have IQ, so that's one problem solved.

Well we just don't know at the moment. This is what everyone is fearing, that they will require an Optus internet connection.
We just wait for details. I'd be happy to drop $20 or $30 per month off my foxtel to give to Optus just to watch the EPL each month. But I am contracted with Telstra so can't move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back