2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We tried to Play a high line against a very good counter attacking team. There were many individual errors from our players and a lot of them just looked like they couldn't be arsed. Very poor show by the players and totally wrong tactical plan by the manager. I hope he takes last night's shambles on board and learns from it.

I am pretty much resigned to the fact that we will go down now, just look at the body language last night. If we are relegated I hope we keep our nerve and stick with Lampard, he got it badly wrong last night, but, I think he is young enough and bright enough to build something here.

It’s the same core.

Coleman Kenny Keane Holgate Siggurdson Davies Tosun: have all been here since Koeman years.

We compounded that by buying Gbamin Gomes Iwobi Delph under Silva

That’s a core of largely useless players that have been underpinning this squad for years.

We’re basically reliant on Mina Godfrey Allan Doucoure Richalrison DCL Gray always being fit and in top form because as soon as they’re not we’re right back into that’s and group of failures. There’s not even enough for an 11 out of that lot. Some of them when they dip below their top form aren’t great either.

So people are correct to say it’s not exactly the same players but it’s certainly a very large core who have been here a while and keep getting selected in squads and 11s.
Those players are in no way a core.

No problem with Lampards tactics.

As ive said before, two types of manager:

A: Those that set up a team based on the players

B: Those that setup a team based on an identity

Lampard is clearly the latter type. The problem is that the players make errors no matter what system we play.

Having said that, he's at fault for playing that back four. Hes said he had no other real options but;

Patterson Godfrey Branthwaite Mykolenko

That has to be the way forward now.

The others are proven as experts in failure.

Lampard’s training has started to take hold… he’s got us defending his way now.

He’s got my backing for certain, but I’ve never been convinced he’s any good at the job, and certainly not for a team in such dire straights.

Still think he will keep us up mind

Lampard is clearly the latter type. The problem is that the players make errors no matter what system we play.
Having said that, he's at fault for playing that back four. Hes said he had no other real options but;

Coleman Holgate Keane Kenny:

The back four that kept Leeds out in a 3-0 win; the back four that kept City down to one goal?

The back four were fine; they just needed to be set up deeper and play us into the game.

Lampard cant be blamed for the players he has, but he made a mistake settting them up so far up the pitch last night.

Disappointed that Lampard did not set us up to defend tightly - so much space between the lines for their forwards to play in.
That's just not Lampard's style (and that is not meant as an insult to Lampard). If we wanted someone in to set us up to defend tightly then we should've appointed someone to do that. No one on our shortlist had a track record of doing that. Which reflects the fact that there is absolutely no strategic thinking on the football side. Not from the decision makers (Moshiri, Kenwright) at least.

Coleman Holgate Keane Kenny:

The back four that kept Leeds out in a 3-0 win; the back four that kept City down to one goal?

The back four were fine; they just needed to be set up deeper and play us into the game.

Lampard cant be blamed for the players he has, but he made a mistake settting them up so far up the pitch last night.
Kenny looked like he was on the left wing for that opening spell. It was very noticeable. Like you say, no qualms with a back 4 that sets up like a back 4 but a back 4 with both fullbacks playing like aggressive wingbacks was odd. Keane and Holgate are no good when given too much to do and they were looking at the gaps behind the fullbacks and worrying about the runners from the middle.

I can understand the thinking though. Early pressure, grab a goal and hopefully Spurs go all Spursy. Gambled and lost big.

Kenny looked like he was on the left wing for that opening spell. It was very noticeable. Like you say, no qualms with a back 4 that sets up like a back 4 but a back 4 with both fullbacks playing like aggressive wingbacks was odd. Keane and Holgate are no good when given too much to do and they were looking at the gaps behind the fullbacks and worrying about the runners from the middle.

I can understand the thinking though. Early pressure, grab a goal and hopefully Spurs go all Spursy. Gambled and lost big.
I can't understand the thinking. It was extremely naive

We're not good enough to start open against a team like Spurs.

Maybe Lampard watched a few lower rated teams get wins against them and thought it was possible for us. That was a bad calculation - especially away from home.

I think if he had the choice over again he'd have left Alli to rot at Spurs in January and gone for another CB.

Most of us knew at the time he'd dropped a bollock there by not getting CB reinforcements in.

He has a hard job on his hands.
These lot have proven they are weak mentally time and time again.
Long beforehand came onto the scene.
He is a young manager and coming into the situation we are in isn't idea to learn the ropes.
He has to learn he really cant rely on most of this lot they are a mix of bluff merchants and just plain not good enough.
His away tactics have been rubbish, but like I say he is a young manager learning his way, we should give him the time to get his mark on the club.
I would take a gamble and freshen it up ,bring Patterson , Mykolenko, Branthwaite, and even el kazhi at least they will put the effort I and havnt got the losing mentally the others have.

Those players are in no way a core.

They’ve played regularly over recent years.

Even when they’re not, the point is they’re not offering effective competition for anyone in the first team. DCL and Richarlison know no matter how poor they are that Tosun isn’t being picked ahead of them.

Same for Allan and Docuoure. They know that Delph Gbamin if they were ever fit aren’t good enough to dislodge them. Gray and Gordon probably feel the same about Iwobi.

Coleman knew he wasn’t being usurped by Kenny at any point. Mina knows he’s straight back in the moment he’s fit, same when Digne was here.

When we have to rely on them they don’t perform, when they’re not in the team they don’t offer competition.

They are the root of the problem at Everton. We can’t get rid of them because no one wants them but they’re preventing funds being made available for new players. As soon as there’s an injury (which there always is) they’re straight back in.

The thing is I know what you're saying and get it but Christ that's the worst defence in the league by far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back