2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were under 1 ppg under Benitez though mate, and actually our points ratio would have probably already seen us relegated.

He also had an entire summer to plan and inherited a stable squad, not one bereft of confidence.

Lampard has taken a bit of time to begin to get his message across. There's probably an argument that it got worse before it got better, but we are now improving. Whether it's enough until the end of the season, we will see.

Not entirely sure about this. Carlo left in June so every transfer plan that he’d spent the season working on was out of the window. Benitez joined end of June so had a few days to get ready before preseason. Throw in the alleged incident with a key player, the way James finished the previous season, the poor form at the back end of the previous season, it clearly wasn’t a stable squad by any means. They were all there for a project under Carlo then he ripped that up out of the blue.

This is why I’m desperate we keep hold of Lampard whatever the result of this season. He’ll have made transfer plans that we need to act on. A new manager coming in starts from scratch and we lose any first mover advantage in the window just like we did last summer. Managers then fall back on their personal contacts or previous scouting from other managers at the club rather than working together for a whole year with the scouting team to see what’s needed then being unified on bringing players in.

We were under 1 ppg under Benitez though mate, and actually our points ratio would have probably already seen us relegated.

He also had an entire summer to plan and inherited a stable squad, not one bereft of confidence.

Lampard has taken a bit of time to begin to get his message across. There's probably an argument that it got worse before it got better, but we are now improving. Whether it's enough until the end of the season, we will see.
An entire summer to plan? He joined on 30 June. The club mishandled sales and we didn’t land his important targets. No right back, no Luis Diaz.

The summer window was a calamity by the club that let Benitez and the fans down. This was coupled with Richarlison going away for two summer tournaments and DCL picking up an injury while away with England that screwed his whole season.

Ill blame Benitez for some pig headed tactics, but the majority of our problems were rooted in years of mis management and a crippling injury list.

An entire summer to plan? He joined on 30 June. The club mishandled sales and we didn’t land his important targets. No right back, no Luis Diaz.

The summer window was a calamity by the club that let Benitez and the fans down. This was coupled with Richarlison going away for two summer tournaments and DCL picking up an injury while away with England that screwed his whole season.

Ill blame Benitez for some pig headed tactics, but the majority of our problems were rooted in years of mis management and a crippling injury list.

Fully planned pre season, most of the squad fit, decent summer window landing proper targets, and we’re not in this mess (whatever people thought of Benitez).

The club has to have managerial stability now. Otherwise we risk this happening season after season, shoddy botched recruitment leading to wasted money and players who don’t want to play for managers. Lampard has done a lot of work steadying the ship, let’s not waste it all in the summer with an emotional firing.

Not entirely sure about this. Carlo left in June so every transfer plan that he’d spent the season working on was out of the window. Benitez joined end of June so had a few days to get ready before preseason. Throw in the alleged incident with a key player, the way James finished the previous season, the poor form at the back end of the previous season, it clearly wasn’t a stable squad by any means. They were all there for a project under Carlo then he ripped that up out of the blue.

This is why I’m desperate we keep hold of Lampard whatever the result of this season. He’ll have made transfer plans that we need to act on. A new manager coming in starts from scratch and we lose any first mover advantage in the window just like we did last summer. Managers then fall back on their personal contacts or previous scouting from other managers at the club rather than working together for a whole year with the scouting team to see what’s needed then being unified on bringing players in.

I do take the point we were up and down under Ancelotti, and ran out of steam/some key injuries caught up with us. But we were in the top 4 with 10 games to play with quite a patched up squad. We had 59 points. We had a system of defending set plays, of attacking set plays etc. I do also take the point there was a lot of dithering on the appointment, which wasn't really on him, but in as far as you can have a good situation to inherit he had a good situation.

On reflection, he tried to change too much, too quickly, particularly in relation to set pieces, which cost us games earlier on this season. I had hoped he would be able to be a continuation on Ancelotti, but just tried to make too many drastic changes. Chasing James was also a big mistake, for a time that lacked creativity.

Lampard on the other hand came into a squad that had lost almost every away game for months, had 1 win in 14 and confidence was on the floor. He didn't have a pre-season to put his ideas. I'm sorry but it's a completely different situation. He had the pressure, from day 1 of being in a relegation dog fight.That makes it a lot harder.

I'm not sure what happens if we go down, but the fact Lampard has stuck it out says a lot about him and I would be tempted to keep him whatever happens. I've said for some time, the club needs stability. Ancelotti have us a bit of that until he was tempted away, but we need stability. I think we will do better with a full pre-season under Lampard. Some players will go and be missed, say Richarlison and DCL, but if we can add wisely, and the likes of Gray and Gordon can keep improving that will fill the void.

Fully planned pre season, most of the squad fit, decent summer window landing proper targets, and we’re not in this mess (whatever people thought of Benitez).

The club has to have managerial stability now. Otherwise we risk this happening season after season, shoddy botched recruitment leading to wasted money and players who don’t want to play for managers. Lampard has done a lot of work steadying the ship, let’s not waste it all in the summer with an emotional firing.
Couldn’t agree more.

Continuity is the key this summer, even more important that its a manager who the majority of fans will get behind whether we stay up or go down.

That's why Lampard stays.

That's partially true.

I mean we are told he was planning all the time he was in discussions. He was also finalising things for about 2 weeks. But either way he has 6 or 7 weeks to prepare. That is a long way from what Lampard was faced with. That's the key point really.

I also agree, the clubs dithering over such things is really unprofessional.

I just can't get on board with this being a key target considering we already had Richy, Gordon and Gray at LW.

I don't think it was ever serious, or that he was serious of coming here. Lots of talk about if we loaned James we could afford his fee. 6 months later he goes for 50 odd million. None of it makes much sense to me.

Continuity is the key this summer, even more important that its a manager who the majority of fans will get behind whether we stay up or go down.

That's why Lampard stays.

There's an argument, however unpalatable that he should stay more if we go down than stay up.

He knows the championship, has shown he has the hunger for the fight and is able to work with younger players. He is probably as well qualified as anyone. If we stay up, and an Ancelotti became available, there's perhaps a case for going another direction.

Happy for him to stay, and hope he wants to, regardless of the outcome in the next few weeks.

I think he has made an effort to understand the club more than his predecessors, and has seen immediately the warts and all version of Everton, so its unlikely he will be in any way wet behind the ears as to the task facing him, whether we stay up or not.

I also like the effort he has made with the fans, and his passion and enthusiasm, I don't think that's fake, and again, it's refreshing, and not something we've seen in recent times. For a club low on quality players, and with morale sometimes at rock bottom, give me a bit of jumping up and down and clenched fists anyday. It's not much, but football is an emotional game. I want to see that the manager cares, and to me it seems like he does.

Need an away win soon. I think he has done ok whilst being a little naive with how he approached the earlier games.

There's an argument, however unpalatable that he should stay more if we go down than stay up.

He knows the championship, has shown he has the hunger for the fight and is able to work with younger players. He is probably as well qualified as anyone. If we stay up, and an Ancelotti became available, there's perhaps a case for going another direction.

I say stick Catcher either way. If an Ancelotti came available we simply wouldn't have the funds to back him.

I've got a feeling Lampard and Thelwell will look at doing a bit of wheeling and dealing and they'll be happy to do so.

People forget he's still very new to management, he's had about 70 PL games hasn't he across his spell with Chelsea and what he's had so far here. About 130-140 overall when you add the season he had with Derby and various cup and European games. It really isn't much that, especially for a guy managing a club as difficult as us.

It also can't be overstated what horrendous luck we've had with injuries and officials. The away form has been catastrophic yes but that was the case before him as well, it's a deep-rooted problem throughout the club that no manager, no matter who he is, can fix quickly.

Still undecided if he'd be the man to bring us back if the worst does happen, but if we do make it over the line I'd back him to the hilt next season. Full pre-season, hopefully shift some shysters and a couple more additions, I could see it being a very quiet but solid year (which would be brilliant for us tbh). Just please somehow, someway, get us over the line.

Liked how he quickly said the result was just the start to the 6 games that were left. Very easy to get carried away with yest as we're still up to our neck in the sh!t. In fact im a bit uneasy with some of the feelings among certain media outlets how leeds are going now and Everton aren't. Posted other day we had 6 cup finals. Thats only 1 out the way. If we roll over now at leicester and watford yesterday just proves these players only respond to certain game types. Im scared the level of intensity will drop simply because there is history with a lot of these players high fiving it after one performance.
Thats why i liked lampards comments. Very quickly pointed that out. Lets hope these players are not dining out on yest.

Status
Not open for further replies.