2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.

You've got to give some credit to them for sorting out the set piece defending. Only 2 (I think) conceded so far is a big improvement on the shambles of last season.
I agree, I cant think of much more.... Obv we went through a period of being unbeaten which is positive but I think back to the West Ham and Southampton win and I remember they weren`t great in those games and lucky on some occassions, we could have just as easily lost. It wasnt "the great run" alot make it out to be.

I just cant see how Frank turns this around..... His system seems to inhibit the attack and we seem passive in CM, the formation against Palace suited us yet we haven`t played that since! The chopping and changing of formations means that players cant get any sort of form or consistency...

I dont buy this is all on the players being "not good enough", we had rubbish last season, upgraded in many areas and now we are worse!

Looking at the Bournemouth games (x2) the players couldn`t look less arsed, Frank struggling to motivate? Or if that is Frank losing the dressing room then this is going one way and we may as well get rid before it gets really messy....

Actually, its my fault.

www.jpg

Now that the dust has settled (slightly) since our back to back maulings by the mighty Bournemouth, I go into the World Cup break with a more than a hint of trepidation towards the manager's future. I believe he's had a disaster with the last two games especially and has put himself in an extremely invidious position with both his actions and his words.

To rail against our second string players, who are known to be diabolical by anyone with a memory longer than 5 minutes, only for your first teamers to come back in and stick the place out just as badly reflected badly on him as he tried to pass the blame.

We all know that we've got a poor squad, but I was encouraged by the effort we were putting games earlier in the season, even ones that didn't go our way. That effort was completely missing at the Vitality and our players can't hide behind the World Cup excuse as there's only about 3 of them going and one is a goalkeeper. It's a possible sign that Frank is losing the dressing room. The way he's used Idrissa Gueye recently harkens back to his baffling use of Ngolo Kante at Chelsea, he is overcomplicating an incredibly basic squad.

He must galvanise the players over this break, it's vital he gets them back on side and that we add attacking quality to our ranks as soon as the January window opens. It would be a travesty after the relief of last season and the groundswell of support he had from the fanbase if his term ended here with a whimper. He needs to do better and I am really hopeful that he does.
The bolded part is what confuses me the most. At the beginning of the season, we were putting in some decent performances but just not getting the results because we had no recognizable striker at all. But at least the effort was clearly there, and some of the play was actually pretty good.

But the last couple of weeks, both the effort and the standard of play have completely disintegrated. So what changed in the meantime?

I completely agree with some of the talk up thread about the mis-configuration of the midfield. The Palace game it was spot-on, but he hasn't been playing that way since for some inconceivable reason. It has to be Gana and Onana deeper with Iwobi pushed up as a 10. So there's that.

But it feels like something else going on maybe behind the scenes or something, because even the attitudes of the players seem to have changed from earlier. I guess it could just be the same old issue of this group of players absolutely wilting at even the first hint of any adversity, but a lot of these players are new, so?

Status
Not open for further replies.