2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised to see a few turning on Lampard already. Maybe people underestimate just how bad this squad was when he came in. We have a new DOF, a new manager and coaching staff. They are currently changing the playing staff, but due to the awful recruitment by the club, they’re struggling to sell, so it’s taking a lot longer to do anything.

People complained Everton was a job for the boys. We’ve seen Dunc and Unsworth both shipped out.
Recruitment was shortism with older mediocre players on big money. They’ve started to bring in younger players with potential.

Our coaching staff at first team level is arguably ‘on paper’ the most experienced and ‘talented’ we have ever had in the Premiership era.

Lampard is a young manager and will likely make mistakes, but him and his coaching staff have a player like Iwobi who i wouldn’t have picked for my kids team, in the best form of his career and really looking like a player.

We need to be patient. It’s easy to say he should stand up to the board etc. but for all we know he is, he’s not Benitez, who cluelessly burns every bridge until it’s too late. Lampard is more likely playing the game behind the scenes with Thelwell. We know FFP wont let Moshiri throw loads of money at it. So why do people think we can go and buy a striker for loads of money without selling first? The DCL injury killed us really on the eve of the season.

Given we don’t have much room to bring players in due to FFP, it would make sense from a business perspective to get the best deal they can for Gordon and use the money to bring in a forward who can offer more of an end product this season.

I get the feeling that Lampard is almost hamstrung by Gordon. His reputation exceeds his ability (perfect time to sell when that happens). We now know he can only play wide, because of his reputation he almost has to start, so Lampard has to play with wingers. You then have Gordon and Gray who don’t offer a lot creatively or in goals. We have decent wingbacks who can offer width, I wonder if Gordon goes, will they sign a mobile central forward, and then play three in midfield, as we possibly now have 3 midfield players who are good enough to play. We didn’t previously. We’d look a lot more solid as a team imo.

I just don’t think we can keep changing managers, Lampard has already shown he can learn from mistakes, I personally think he should be given time to sort the mess out
We've won 1 point out of 9, his ppg is worse than Rafael and we lost to a team who are about to sack their manager

From the last two games it's difficult to see how DCL up front or almost any striker would change things given how little we create. It'd just be someone different up top to chase lost causes.
DCL is Not the type of striker who receives the ball from 30 yards out with his back to goal, spins takes two defenders on and rockets it into the top corner, he is a six yard goal sniffer. He certainly ain't the goal getter some believe he is.

Surprised to see a few turning on Lampard already. Maybe people underestimate just how bad this squad was when he came in. We have a new DOF, a new manager and coaching staff. They are currently changing the playing staff, but due to the awful recruitment by the club, they’re struggling to sell, so it’s taking a lot longer to do anything.

People complained Everton was a job for the boys. We’ve seen Dunc and Unsworth both shipped out.
Recruitment was shortism with older mediocre players on big money. They’ve started to bring in younger players with potential.

Our coaching staff at first team level is arguably ‘on paper’ the most experienced and ‘talented’ we have ever had in the Premiership era.

Lampard is a young manager and will likely make mistakes, but him and his coaching staff have a player like Iwobi who i wouldn’t have picked for my kids team, in the best form of his career and really looking like a player.

We need to be patient. It’s easy to say he should stand up to the board etc. but for all we know he is, he’s not Benitez, who cluelessly burns every bridge until it’s too late. Lampard is more likely playing the game behind the scenes with Thelwell. We know FFP wont let Moshiri throw loads of money at it. So why do people think we can go and buy a striker for loads of money without selling first? The DCL injury killed us really on the eve of the season.

Given we don’t have much room to bring players in due to FFP, it would make sense from a business perspective to get the best deal they can for Gordon and use the money to bring in a forward who can offer more of an end product this season.

I get the feeling that Lampard is almost hamstrung by Gordon. His reputation exceeds his ability (perfect time to sell when that happens). We now know he can only play wide, because of his reputation he almost has to start, so Lampard has to play with wingers. You then have Gordon and Gray who don’t offer a lot creatively or in goals. We have decent wingbacks who can offer width, I wonder if Gordon goes, will they sign a mobile central forward, and then play three in midfield, as we possibly now have 3 midfield players who are good enough to play. We didn’t previously. We’d look a lot more solid as a team imo.

I just don’t think we can keep changing managers, Lampard has already shown he can learn from mistakes, I personally think he should be given time to sort the mess out
People see the results. They won't change until we sort the attackers out and get Calvert lewin back.

What people don't see is the improvements in defence, especially set piece management. They don't see improved fitness levels throughout the team either. There are signs that lampard and the coaches are making a difference, but until players like Davies are not getting minutes anymore, the old frustrations will still happen.

When's the last time we kept a clean sheet?
They will come this season, no doubt. The goals we are conceding are not like last season. We look better defending set pieces and generally more solid and confident in defence.

Coady only signed last week, give it time. The signs are there.

He's had 21 league games as manager and lost 12 of them.

Whilst I am all for giving managers time its ultimately a results business.

If he had anything concrete on his CV to hold your faith onto him turning it around then it would be ideal but his CV consists of an FA Cup final defeat to a disjointed Arsenal side and losing the play offs with a decent Derby team.

He must get results its that simple - he's already been given two big jobs in Chelsea and Everton based off his media profile alone whereas the likes of Potterball, Cooper, Moyes etc have had to slug it oot in the lower leagues and overseas for years before getting similiar opportunities - he can't say he's had it rough.

I disagree. The defence is much better than it was last year. Midfield will be much better once onana is up to speed (and more so if gueye ever signs). Iwobi played really well yesterday (not for the first time).

The concern is the front 3. They look a complete shambles. Gray shows moments but ultimately disappoints. Gordon looks like he could make something happen whenever he gets the ball, but ultimately never does. As soon as rondon went off yesterday, we looked lost. McNeill looks well short of what we need. However, if Calvert lewin was fit, we would've won that game easily.

As a unit we are definitely more solid defensively but we need to see how Tarkowski and Coady develop over the next few weeks. One of them Wolves couldn't wait to get rid of and the other was an integral part of a team that got relegated. There's no certainty they're going to be huge success stories here.

I don't see how DCL changes that game much yesterday given how few chances we managed to create. We also can't bank on the idea he's going to be fit for any decent period. He hasn't been for over a year now.

Brentford (a)
Leeds (a)
Liverpool (h)
Arsenal (a)

Given our away form under Lampard, it’s not unlikely we could be on 1 point after 7 games.
He'll be looking down the barrel if that's the case, then, because, history tells us he'll have five games to save his job at that point.

All managers need time, but the Everton managerial seat is a prestigious position that comes with its own set of historically-mandated demands, some relevant, some obsolete throwbacks to different days. If an experienced and highly successful manager like his predecessor could not navigate those demands, then the worry for Lampard is that a relative novice certainly won't. When you take all of the emotional hot air our of the equation, the reality is an Everton manager will not usually survive a run of less than 12 points from 12 games. If Lampard has 1 from 7, he's going to need three or four quick wins or the knives will be out.

Benitez was sacked after taking 5 points from his last possible 36. Mike Walker, surely the most obvious comparison to such a shocking run, was terminated after a run of 7 points from 36 in 1994. In 2002, Walter Smith was finally punted after taking 7 points from his last 36.

So, different eras but very similar patience metrics. The 12 matches that preceded their eventual sackings yielded between 5 and 7 points for all three of these managers. In worse news for Lampard, Roberto Martinez managed 9 points from his last 12 games and still got the bullet. Marco Silva picked up 10 and Ronald Koeman 11 (though three of those points were from the end of the previous season). Big Sam actually took 18.

Allowing for a certain amount of goodwill, Lampard might be given a little more time - Martinez and Silva had had full seasons before being sacked. But let's not delude ourselves. If the board might stomach 1 point from a possible 21 - or even the time-honoured red alert metric of 6 from 36, I suspect that would only happen if there were three or four other sides in similar to worse situations. The real danger, therefore, is that we get cut adrift while going through a horror run. That would, if history is any guide, be terminal.

It's almost like we have a rule of 12 - take less than 12 points from 12 games at a particular point in your tenure - and you will be fired. Almost.

Last edited:
All of you already trying to push for Lampard to go.... you are not Evertonians

We wont forget how you enjoyed winding up fellow supporters during last season under Benitez

Embarrassing reading this thread
Evertonians who say people aren't 'evertonians' are the worst.

We are on a forum discussing football. I don't rate lampard and I'm allowed waste my time arguing with strangers on the Internet if that's what I wanna do.

Benitez was awful but it is possible we didn't replace him with the right manager, you know.

Evertonians who say people aren't 'evertonians' are the worst.

We are on a forum discussing football. I don't rate lampard and I'm allowed waste my time arguing with strangers on the Internet if that's what I wanna do.

Benitez was awful but it is possible we didn't replace him with the right manager, you know.
Nope

People have been waiting to jump on his back from day 1. Often people who were 100% behind and defending benitez.

I think there is a clear agenda.

The results and the signings will come. The back 5 is starting to look like they have a plan . Onana in the middle is going to be a star. Gordon will be gone and hopefully we get 2 decent forwards . Then play 5-3-2 and all will be good. Frank is trying to make this team his own and getting rid of some of cowards who has cost us dearly over the last few seasons is a tough ask . Need to support the team and frank !

He's had 21 league games as manager and lost 12 of them.

Whilst I am all for giving managers time its ultimately a results business.

If he had anything concrete on his CV to hold your faith onto him turning it around then it would be ideal but his CV consists of an FA Cup final defeat to a disjointed Arsenal side and losing the play offs with a decent Derby team.

He must get results its that simple - he's already been given two big jobs in Chelsea and Everton based off his media profile alone whereas the likes of Potterball, Cooper, Moyes etc have had to slug it oot in the lower leagues and overseas for years before getting similiar opportunities - he can't say he's had it rough.

By all accounts Onana has signed for us over Moyes because of that same media profile.

I realise it’s a results business but given the situation we were in as a club, I’d rather see what Lampard and Thelwell are doing in bringing down the average age of the squad, organising the defence so we can defend set pieces, bringing in leaders which we haven’t had for a long time, and having a good coaching staff with experience. Rather than a short term fix like fat sam was brought in for. Ultimately short term fixes are only that and you’ll always end up in the same situation unless you remedy the issues, which I feel Lampard is doing.

Acting like a striker is the only reason we never beat Forest at Goodison, I am pretty sure Rondon is a striker isn't he?

We narrowly avoided relegation last season and this season we have 1 point from 9, who is going to come here that will carry us to wins? we need much more than a striker, get Claire sold and go again with more attackers.
I think people meant a striker ho could run and jump.

As a unit we are definitely more solid defensively but we need to see how Tarkowski and Coady develop over the next few weeks. One of them Wolves couldn't wait to get rid of and the other was an integral part of a team that got relegated. There's no certainty they're going to be huge success stories here.

I don't see how DCL changes that game much yesterday given how few chances we managed to create. We also can't bank on the idea he's going to be fit for any decent period. He hasn't been for over a year now.
Calvert lewin would've definitely changed the game. Forrest are a poor side and we were getting in behind them frequently. the rs will absolutely destroy them with how they play.

Unfortunately rondon has no pace. He actually did ok yesterday. He held the ball up well, but couldn't keep up when we broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.