Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
would be a excellent signin woulsd get into most first teams in the prem so i wouldnt sniff my nose up at it

end of the day rob martines knows more than most of u quegs

If he was in his mid-20's, this would be a positive. However, he's 32 so it's actually a massive negative: we're talking about a player who was never even moderately quick to start with, who is older than Osman, who has played a LOT of games in the last couple years. His pace is going to disappear totally, and it's going to happen soon. Look at Kone for instance - he doesn't look anywhere near as a rapid now as he did even a year ago. The loss of pace in athletes from ANY sport as they approach their mid-30s is well documented.

"Pace isn't everything" I hear you cry, and I don't entirely disagree with you. But Barry is also not especially technically proficient - I would go as far as to say that were it not for Owen Hargreaves' horrific injury record, Barry would never have got more than 5 or 6 England caps. He's just not that good.... there's a reason City have replaced him.

Measuring him up against what we have, I'd say Barry's not as good as Gibson or Felli at DM, nor as good as Felli at CM. He can't play ACM or wide midfield, so we'd be bringing him in as Gibbo's and Felli's backup: if we can get him on loan at a reasonable wage, say £30k a week, then fine. But otherwise I would rather not. I certainly don't want to pay any sort of fee for him, even if Felli goes. In THAT scenario, I would rather we spent £12m on McCarthy or £5m on Diame than £2m on Barry. Alternatively, we could be trying to get De Guzman from Villareal or Schneiderlin from Southampton if Felli goes - again, both would be better than Barry.

Hooray, thank god some one put it better than me.

Not bothered if we sign him or not, just a bit underwhelmed as to why we are after a 33 year old on loan, when most other teams who finished below us are showing real ambition to improve their squads. One other thing if Barry comes it better not push Barkley back down the pecking order.

I swear to god, I'm sure everytime someone wants to make a post against Barry he gets a year older!

would be a excellent signin woulsd get into most first teams in the prem so i wouldnt sniff my nose up at it

*surveys list of bids from Prem teams for Barry...... falls asleep waiting.

He's past it, and pretty much every Prem team knows it. The only way he goes anywhere is if City agree to loan him out AND keep paying the majority of his wage. I would take him as Hitz's replacement in that scenario.

Last edited:
My flow chart for new players goes like this:

IS HE BETTER THAN OSMAN?

IF YES = SIGN

IF NO = DON'T SIGN

#endofflow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back