Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
*surveys list of bids from Prem teams for Barry...... falls asleep waiting.

He's past it, and pretty much every Prem team knows it. The only way he goes anywhere is if City agree to loan him out AND keep paying the majority of his wage. I would take him as Hitz's replacement in that scenario.

How do you even know who he is talking to....the papers said us and Arsenal, a team in the CL, like the other team that he is leaving, is that good enough for you?

Or if it was us and Fulham and Sunderland, you would probably be moaning about the quality of the other clubs interested in him then.

This country!

How do you even know who he is talking to....the papers said us and Arsenal, a team in the CL, like the other team that he is leaving, is that good enough for you?

Or if it was us and Fulham and Sunderland, you would probably be moaning about the quality of the other clubs interested in him then.

This country!

I have no idea who he's talking to. That's why I referred to BIDS. And, as yet, there are none. Why would the perceived "quality" of another bididng club be of any consequence to me?

My point was, and remains, that not a single club has made a public bid for him, which I believe indicates the level of interest in a 39-year old midfielder.

I have no idea who he's talking to. That's why I referred to BIDS. And, as yet, there are none. Why would the perceived "quality" of another bididng club be of any consequence to me?

My point was, and remains, that not a single club has made a public bid for him, which I believe indicates the level of interest in a 39-year old midfielder.

My whole point.

I would wait and see before commenting on it personally, but each to their own. He was only told 3 days ago that he was suprlus to requirements at City, as they have no place in their expensively assembled squad for a 40 year old holding midfielder.

My whole point.

I would wait and see before commenting on it personally, but each to their own. He was only told 3 days ago that he was suprlus to requirements at City, as they have no place in their expensively assembled squad for a 40 year old holding midfielder.

There's a difference between "talking to" a player, which clubs do via agents all the time in private, and formally submitting a bid. That's my point, and I'm surprised you don't get it.

Three days ago Barry and his agent were told the news. If his agent was any good at all, Barry would have been preparing for this possibility the moment the City signed the Brazilian lad, and would have been sounding out prospective suitors ever since. If anyone was keen on Barry, they would have let the agent know before now. I'm not saying he and his agent aren't talking to clubs, I'm simply observing that as yet no club has followed up on these conversations with a bid.

I'm guessing there are 41 reasons why.

At his age Barry needs regular football as he'll soon put on some timber if he's sat on the bench every week, it's no place for a 42 year old.

No brainer if we can get him on a loan..... has been an integral part of city's last two seasons in which they finished 1st and 2nd in the league..... ok, he's no spring chicken but he's a tough, experienced central midfielder who would probably start every week for most premier league teams.

No brainer if we can get him on a loan..... has been an integral part of city's last two seasons in which they finished 1st and 2nd in the league..... ok, he's no spring chicken but he's a tough, experienced central midfielder who would probably start every week for most premier league teams.

Agree with all but the last line. He wouldn't start every week for any more than about half the prem. He would see significant time in a rotation pretty much everywhere, but he's not a starter for any top-ten team anymore. I can see him going to Newcastle if Cabaye leaves and starting there, but are they a top-ten team? He wouldn't crack the first XI at Utd, Chelsea, Spurs or us unless there were departures.

Last edited:
Agree with all but the last line. He wouldn't start every week for any more than about eight teams. He would see significant time in a rotation pretty much everywhere, but he's not a starter for any top-ten team anymore.

I have a feeling he would start every week here and we are a top 8 team :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back