Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like him to stay - experience is necessary for youth to learn from, and I don't think Gibson will be back for any great length of time before retiring.

Me too mate, I'd love him to stay. Would you want him to be a starter next season though?

Fair enough if you would like. Personally I'd want him as cover and whilst ideally we'd be able to accommodate that I don't think it's possible for us to have someone on such high wages who isn't in the starting XI. I know we had Heitinga but he wasn't earning anywhere near what Barry would.

Easy to say now though mate - hindsight is always 20/20

I'd like him to stay - experience is necessary for youth to learn from, and I don't think Gibson will be back for any great length of time before retiring.

A player with his experience should have. Im not going to knock him though, he has been good for us

Me too mate, I'd love him to stay. Would you want him to be a starter next season though?

Fair enough if you would like. Personally I'd want him as cover and whilst ideally we'd be able to accommodate that I don't think it's possible for us to have someone on such high wages who isn't in the starting XI. I know we had Heitinga but he wasn't earning anywhere near what Barry would.

Jut because he was on massive wages at Man City, doesn't mean we have to pay him the same. He can't expect those kind of wages at this stage of his career.

If he played 25-30 games next season he'd cope with that workload no problem. We'd be stronger for it. I hope he stays. Superb player when fit.

Will go well with Gibson or McCarthy whenever Gibbo gets fit.

Good points above there, but I'd not only keep him, I'd pencil him in as a starter, yes.

He's had a couple of iffy moments lately but the same could be said for the whole team. If he'd have come here earlier in his career he'd be captain.

I think he'll be realistic about pay, too.

He's on £120k a week though, how much of a wage cut would we be asking him to take?

Even half of that would be a cut of £60K, would he really accept that. Just got JH offf the books and I think he was slightly less than that. For a player of barry's age never mind his experience I think even 60K is on the high side. As I said in a previous post he will be on a free come summer and he will sit back and look at offers. Will he get any though, could well do so from say the likes of Norwich who will offer him more than us and Barry will be off. All about the last pay packet just like JH.

I am thinking we should be looking for a younger player up and coming or some one wth a few years in already rather than some one who is in his last of playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back