Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Total respect for the guy, he didn't take the easy option of sitting on City's bench getting lots of money with the odd run out to collect the medals they will probably win (like Lescott seems to have done). Instead he took the risk of coming to a club with a new manager to get game time and to fight for a place in Brazil. After ages on the sidelines he was thrown into a high stakes game with new teammates with very little pregame training, was nothing less than brilliant and blocked a certain goal. He has been an utter professional both on and off the pitch his entire time with us.

Would love to sign him next year but it will likely be his last contract and he will probably be looking for a good wage plus regular playing time. Think we will be able to offer the latter, especially if get into Europe of some kind, but think there will be far more lucrative offers than ours. Wish him well whatever he decides to do.

don't really think we should be breaking the bank for him, if he's want to sign on a first team players wage then great, if not I'm not sure its the end of the world as some suggest, he's a very intelligent player and I like him but we'd have to get quality cover for him next season anyway

Total respect for the guy, he didn't take the easy option of sitting on City's bench getting lots of money with the odd run out to collect the medals they will probably win (like Lescott seems to have done). Instead he took the risk of coming to a club with a new manager to get game time and to fight for a place in Brazil. After ages on the sidelines he was thrown into a high stakes game with new teammates with very little pregame training, was nothing less than brilliant and blocked a certain goal. He has been an utter professional both on and off the pitch his entire time with us.

Would love to sign him next year but it will likely be his last contract and he will probably be looking for a good wage plus regular playing time. Think we will be able to offer the latter, especially if get into Europe of some kind, but think there will be far more lucrative offers than ours. Wish him well whatever he decides to do.

Can't find the quote right at this minute but I've read an article with him quoting he'd like to stay on.

I would like that.

Rumours are we tried to sign him from city and get Rodwell on loan as he would have been not a loaned player - Barry is to have believed to have refused this as he wants to keep his options open at the end of the season when he becomes a free agent if that is the case, then we should not break the bank to keep him- Arsenal will pay bigger wages than us - McCarthy does his job if he had a more creative player I feel McCarthy would flourish more he is doing a lot of work for the aging Barry as good as they have both been for us this season we still lack creativity in midfield also McCarthy used to get further forwards at Wigan and score he has not had that role for us!

All in one breath as well!

Can't find the quote right at this minute but I've read an article with him quoting he'd like to stay on.

I would like that.

When I see them [Everton fans] they say: 'You'd better be signing next season!', Every time!" Barry told The Telegraph.

"My answer is the same every time: 'Hopefully! Hopefully!', That's a genuine answer.

"From day one, the manager said: 'I'm not going to put any pressure on you throughout the season, we'll have the conversation in the summer, see how the club feel about you, see how you feel about the club and take it from there.'

"I'm more than halfway through the season now and it couldn't have gone any better.

"It's going to be a nice conversation to be having come the end of the season."

He's looked really leggy recently to me. Looks a bit bereft of ideas as well. Could do with a rest, to get the best out of him for the last 10 games or so.

I'm a massive fan of Barry, but shocked noone has mentioned the fact he placed the ball down for Spurs then walked away from it, they then took the freekick and scored.

Any player knows you either keep hold of the ball, or stand infront and block it being taken quickly. It was amateur from him and cost us all 3 points

His fault for the goal IMO, he should have stood over the ball to stop them taking the quick free kick
it was noticed mate

I would like that.

Me too and think his wish to stay is geniune.

However if his former boss Mancini (who I think he got on well with) offers him say a 3 year contact at galatasaray on lots more money with CL to boot guess it would be hard to turn down for anyone.

Any idea of his family situation - not wanting to move kids about may make a difference.

Its a strange situation, vital part of the team, but age means hes gonna get less effective over any 2-3 year contract, think we have to realize hes not able to play as much as hes had to if we want the best out of him

All comes down to wages in the end, 60k+ is a huge wedge for us to pay anyone, especially someone whose influence will decrease over time along with his role

As much as he has been great for much of the season, he arguably contributed a lot to us losing two games to our 4th place rivals. He was shocking in the derby, and not just in losing his man and injuring Lukaku for the first goal, and then at Spurs stopping the ball on the spot for Walker to take a quick free kick was just naïve.

I can’t quite work out if his role has changed recently as he seems to get forward more and is getting caught the wrong side of the ball when teams break on us. Earlier in the season I felt he was able to stop a lot of breaks before they had even begun but now he just looks out of position and can’t get back quick enough.

He’s not getting any younger and while he is a good player, I’d be loathe to make him the top earner if I was the manager. We had too much of that with the last manager, giving long expensive contracts to players whose influence on the game was declining. I think under the Martinez system especially, we perhaps need someone with a bit more mobility and pace in midfield as well. Chelsea and the rs are currently employing a sort of anti-system where they are hitting teams on the counter with pace and in numbers, and unless our midfield stay disciplined tactically we will just get out-run against these sides. So many sides started off the season trying to play a similar brand of football and with the success of Chelsea and recently the rs, against this style, more sides will set up to try and adopt this, so we at least need to match their athleticism in certain areas. Twice now Spurs showed that they could bully certain players out of games, can you imagine lining up against Barry, Osman, Naismith and Pienaar? I bet we’ve got 14 year olds who can push most of them off the ball with ease, and beat them in a race. I know there is more to football that athleticism but the last manager really left us with a team very short in that area, and I’d like to see more balance to that aspect in the future.

He and McCarthy are similar players and I don't think the two should play together.

As we paid 15m for McCarthy and Barry is not getting any younger you have to think he won't get quite as many games next season.

We should be looking for a creative attacking player to rotate with Barkley and maybe another winger. I would love to keep Barry, but making him a top earner might not be the best idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back