Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't we cut the salaries to 40K max but give win bonuses scaled to a top 4 position at seasons end would as much as double (or 2.5x) your basic wage...that's what I do in my company (but obviously not linked to Everton getting in the top 4 ...lol)

Sounds to me like you are about ready to make a takeover bid for our club, heck we need your ideas.

Bizarre post this. Our number one priority in the summer will be tying up a 2 year deal for Barry, and rightly so. He's an immensely important member of the squad and i'm sure he will want to stay.
Absurd to suggest he will be playing for 'the likes of Norwich' next season.

You are missing the point, he will be a free agent in the summer and open to offers. Say Everton offer him 50k per week and Norwich offer him 65k per week which is going to plump for?

Personally as I said in my post I would prefer Roberto to look for someone younger with perhaps a couple of years playing in the PL, not an aging stop gap.

Last edited:
You are missing the point, he will be a free agent in the summer and open to
offers. Say Everton offer him 50k per week and Norwich offer him 65k per week which is going to plump for?

Personally as I said in my post I would prefer Roberto to look for someone younger with perhaps a couple of years playing in the PL, not an aging stop gap.

He'll plump for Everton. Quote me on this. Like Martinez says, we need a good blend of youth and experience.

He and McCarthy are similar players and I don't think the two should play together.

As we paid 15m for McCarthy and Barry is not getting any younger you have to think he won't get quite as many games next season.

We should be looking for a creative attacking player to rotate with Barkley and maybe another winger. I would love to keep Barry, but making him a top earner might not be the best idea.

...we did ok with Reid and Bracewell as two ball winning midfielders.

...we did ok with Reid and Bracewell as two ball winning midfielders.

That team also had the likes of Sharp, Gray, Lineker, Sheedy and Steven.

We don't have those riches and we're struggling for goals despite dominating possession in games. We need to find another way of being a bit more productive in front of goal.

BOOM!

Eggs mate, you are one of only a few on here that I actually take notice of re players, systems, that sort of stuff.

...Roydo, its just that some lads on here aren't old enough to have watched some of these lads play. McCarthy does at times remind me of Bracewell, that run and pass setting up a Lukaku goal a few games ago shows he has another dimension to his game.

That team also had the likes of Sharp, Gray, Lineker, Sheedy and Steven.

We don't have those riches and we're struggling for goals despite dominating possession in games. We need to find another way of being a bit more productive in front of goal.

......agree, but the point is that we can have a winning side with 2 relatively defensive central midfielders. To be fair the likes of Pienaar, Baines, Mirallas, Coleman and Barkley are creative type and he has brought in McGeady, but you are right that doesn't always translate to chances/goals.

You are missing the point, he will be a free agent in the summer and open to offers. Say Everton offer him 50k per week and Norwich offer him 65k per week which is going to plump for?

If that choice were presented to him, I genuinely believe he would take about 5 seconds to choose Everton.

[Poor language removed] me, that was nearly 30 years ago! Somehow I suspect the game, and how to win, has changed somewhat in intervening years.

That team would be running away with this league mate, thinking it wouldnt shows your too young to have seen it

Well if we get a younger central midfielder when Barry is perfectly capable of doing a good job there then we have to sacrifice either a striker (we own one, and on evidence we've seen he's not very good) or a creative attacking player (we have two, and an ageing pienaar) as we can't afford much.

He and McCarthy are similar players and I don't think the two should play together.

As we paid 15m for McCarthy and Barry is not getting any younger you have to think he won't get quite as many games next season.

We should be looking for a creative attacking player to rotate with Barkley and maybe another winger. I would love to keep Barry, but making him a top earner might not be the best idea.

So the answer to us not scoring, is to concede more goals? The solid foundation of Barry and McCarthy isn't to blame, it's the fact we've got people like osman and Naismith in front of them. The issue is in the front 4 and that's where the money needs to be spent. If we don't sign Barry we need to replace him, which will cost, meaning one less striker or no attacking creative midfielder

As mentioned by littleralphy I can't work out if Barry has been told to push further more or he has just been a bit gash recently.

From the day we signed him until Christmas he didnt put a foot wrong, looked immense in every game I saw. Against the ****e and spurs he looked more like Neville, his passing which is usually crisp was woeful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back