Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it's as easy as taking out Macca or Barry and that meaning we are more attacking.

It still needs to be a workable 11 and apart from Barkley, who has barely played there and been injured recently, we don't have a replacement to hold the centre and slot in winning the ball/recycling possession.

With a rejigged squad we may have that luxury but its not so simple now, as well as the difficulty coping without Pienaar in the team when it comes to our build up.

Barry does look tired though. Getting a bit sloppy.

Last edited:
His legs went after an hour against Spurs. But of course we had nobody at all we could bring on to replace him. As well as playing 4-6-0 when we were a goal down as we didn't have a fit striker.

Don't worry though, we left the January transfer window stronger than we went in or something.

Even half of that would be a cut of £60K, would he really accept that. Just got JH offf the books and I think he was slightly less than that. For a player of barry's age never mind his experience I think even 60K is on the high side. As I said in a previous post he will be on a free come summer and he will sit back and look at offers. Will he get any though, could well do so from say the likes of Norwich who will offer him more than us and Barry will be off. All about the last pay packet just like JH.

I am thinking we should be looking for a younger player up and coming or some one wth a few years in already rather than some one who is in his last of playing.

Why don't we cut the salaries to 40K max but give win bonuses scaled to a top 4 position at seasons end would as much as double (or 2.5x) your basic wage...that's what I do in my company (but obviously not linked to Everton getting in the top 4 ...lol)

Hard call to make yesterday against Spurs. We were only losing by a goal and we were in the ascendency for most of the game.To take off one of our central midfielders would have made us vulnerable to breakaway attacks and could have conceded a second very easily.
After Spurs scored they shut up shop and it is difficult for any team to break down a dogged defence of eight players.

I was surprised that Barkley was brought on as first sub, I thought it was going to be Deulofeu.I am not sure bringing Barkley on really worked an I believe Barkley is more suited to a deeper midfield role rather that the no. 10 role he is playing at present.

I'm a massive fan of Barry, but shocked noone has mentioned the fact he placed the ball down for Spurs then walked away from it, they then took the freekick and scored.

Any player knows you either keep hold of the ball, or stand infront and block it being taken quickly. It was amateur from him and cost us all 3 points

Even half of that would be a cut of £60K, would he really accept that. Just got
JH offf the books and I think he was
slightly less than that. For a player of barry's age never mind his experience I think even 60K is on the high side. As I said in a previous post he will be on a free come summer and he will sit back and look at offers. Will he get any though, could well do so from say the likes of Norwich who will offer him more than us and Barry will be off. All about the last pay packet just like JH.

I am thinking we should be looking for a younger player up and coming or some one wth a few years in already rather than some one who is in his last of playing.

Bizarre post this. Our number one priority in the summer will be tying up a 2 year deal for Barry, and rightly so. He's an immensely important member of the squad and i'm sure he will want to stay.
Absurd to suggest he will be playing for 'the likes of Norwich' next season.

Rumours are we tried to sign him from city and get Rodwell on loan as he would have been not a loaned player - Barry is to have believed to have refused this as he wants to keep his options open at the end of the season when he becomes a free agent if that is the case, then we should not break the bank to keep him- Arsenal will pay bigger wages than us - McCarthy does his job if he had a more creative player I feel McCarthy would flourish more he is doing a lot of work for the aging Barry as good as they have both been for us this season we still lack creativity in midfield also McCarthy used to get further forwards at Wigan and score he has not had that role for us!

Rumours are we tried to sign him from city and get Rodwell on loan as he would have been not a loaned player - Barry is to have believed to have refused this as he wants to keep his options open at the end of the season when he becomes a free agent if that is the case, then we should not break the bank to keep him- Arsenal will pay bigger wages than us - McCarthy does his job if he had a more creative player I feel McCarthy would flourish more he is doing a lot of work for the aging Barry as good as they have both been for us this season we still lack creativity in midfield also McCarthy used to get further forwards at Wigan and score he has not had that role for us!

Just a rumour as you say mate, but don't think I believe it.

I would love us to sign Barry full time, if the price is right. It is no surprise though that Arsenal are being linked, he is on a free in the summer and it would'nt surprise me if someone was prepared to match his wages (even though it is really high). If you think about it to sign a player like him, even at his age, they wouldn't be that cheap.

If we can't get him then hopefully we get a replacement in quickly

I thought the rumour was that it depended on City signing Fernando?

I think it best we reserve judgement on keeping Barry until we see how things go by the end of the season. Barry has been tremendous so far but opposing sides have undoubtedly now sussed out how we've been playing him and are now tightening up on him, making him look slow and ponderous of late. He's no longer being allowed to sit on the ball in acres of space and pick the pass. Assuming that's going to continue to be the case RM might decide that next season he'll want to put a sharper, faster player in that role.

When Barry signed for us on loan, it was agreed between him and Martinez that no talk of contracts would happen until the season closes, as Barry wanted to only concentrate on football afterhaving the 12 months previous while at Citeh dominated by lengthy contract talks. I highly doubt that Martinez would of gone back on this in order to bring in Rodwell.

It just stinks of throwing three seperate situation in a pot and this story is what came out.

.....will be a matter of Barry considering his options, which is understandable as there will be plenty on offer. He has been brilliant bringing real continuity and even improvement to what most expected would be a difficult season. If he goes, we will have Gibson back and RM might well bring in somebody who will add an extra dimension to our play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back