Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking about that boss block against Chelsea which was him winning us over after about 20 minutes of his debut. He's been class this season, got a feeling he's got a couple of screamers in him in these last few games.

Yeah there is a rule stating loaned player can't play against their parent clubs, it used to be upto the parent clubs choice whether they'd allow them to play or not, as was the case when we initially loaned Howard, but the PL had a rule change about 3-4 years back.

Personally I think it should revert back because I think it gives clubs like Chelsea or Man City an unfair advantage over their rivals.
...in fairness to Wenger, that is what he said

...are you familiar with the economics concept of 'marginal utility' ? Look it up and you may change your view

Gareth Barry may not be familiar with it himself, but I don't think he'd be at all bothered, given what he's been earning over the last dozen years, or so.

Yeah there is a rule stating loaned player can't play against their parent clubs, it used to be upto the parent clubs choice whether they'd allow them to play or not, as was the case when we initially loaned Howard, but the PL had a rule change about 3-4 years back.

Personally I think it should revert back because I think it gives clubs like Chelsea or Man City an unfair advantage over their rivals.
Wenger is wrong on that though. The rule was brought in to avoid the even more questionable practice of having someone on your pay roll playing against you, for obvious reasons.

He knows that, but saying nothing wouldnt get in the papers and wouldnt be a potential distraction to opponents.

He's been saying recently that he's got one deal left in him. He's 33 now, so we're probably not going to offer him more than a couple of years and, according to the Mail, he'd have to halve his wage demands to £50k per week to join us.

Maybe there is something in the rumours about him going to the MLS? It would explain why Roberto is looking at switching Baines into the middle.

He's been saying recently that he's got one deal left in him. He's 33 now, so we're probably not going to offer him more than a couple of years and, according to the Mail, he'd have to halve his wage demands to £50k per week to join us.

Maybe there is something in the rumours about him going to the MLS? It would explain why Roberto is looking at switching Baines into the middle.

Correct me if im wrong but surely New York FC doesnt start for another few years yet? PLUS, Roberto isnt looking to move Baines to CDM straight away, its more for when he doesnt have the legs to bomb up and down the left wing every week.
Im 99.9% certain he'll sign in the Summer.

Can we afford to rest him against Sunderland and/or Palace so that he's fresh for United and not suspended?

Maybe we could play Naismith in the hole and Barkley alongside McCarthy depending on the fitness of Osman. We're going to need to find a solution for the City game anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back