Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why will he be a squad player in 1 years time?

He's outstanding, it's easy to see why he's been so highly rated. He's the best English holding
Midfielder in the country who's looked after himself very well and doesn't rely on his legs.

We'll have him in our first team for the full 3 yrs I reckon.
There aren't many players that can sustain their performance until their mid 30's. Look at Steven Gerrard. He's not the player he was a couple of years ago.

Not every manager achieved what Martinez did. Not Royle, not Smith, not Moyes.

To even question Martinez ability to get value is ludicrous, after his wheeling and dealing in the loan market last season. If ever a manager gets great deals, it is Martinez. And the player you highlighted was a free transfer that played 7 games last season. I recall Moyes signing a terrible centre half, not on a free, but for £5.5m.

I wasn't aware we'd signed Boselli to be honest, nor that he was a centre half. Although he's that bad of a striker i guess he might have changed position.

To even question Martinez ability to get value is ludicrous, after his wheeling and dealing in the loan market last season. If ever a manager gets great deals, it is Martinez. And the player you highlighted was a free transfer that played 7 games last season. I recall Moyes signing a terrible centre half, not on a free, but for £5.5m. He was that bad, he lasted 4 months before being binned off, and we had to bring back Alan Stubbs from Sunderland to get a degree of stability back and starve off a whiff of a relegation battle.

Joe Royle won a trophy.

How many has your king won, for Everton?

I wasn't aware we'd signed Boselli to be honest, nor that he was a centre half. Although he's that bad of a striker i guess he might have changed position.

Why are you bringing up Wigan Athletic signings? What's that got to do with Martinez' signings for Everton?

What a strange line of argument.

To even question Martinez ability to get value is ludicrous, after his wheeling and dealing in the loan market last season. If ever a manager gets great deals, it is Martinez. And the player you highlighted was a free transfer that played 7 games last season. I recall Moyes signing a terrible centre half, not on a free, but for £5.5m. He was that bad, he lasted 4 months before being binned off, and we had to bring back Alan Stubbs from Sunderland to get a degree of stability back and starve off a whiff of a relegation battle.
This isn't a Martinez vs moyes thread. We're discussing Barry.

Don't care how long it is. He can join the coaching staff in two years time.

He's got the character. He's Martinez's golden boy.

Who can pass the ball really well.

Plus the young players in the squad can learn from him. Barkley. + others

Distin signed for Everton when he was 32, and will still be playing for us aged 37, because he's a very physically fit player.

Barry signed for us last season at the same age, 32. Barry is a similarly physically fit player that rarely gets injured.
And Barry's game has never relied on pace as even in his prime he was never what you would call fast. His skill comes in reading the game.

He did look tired towards the end of the season with so many games due to a lack of cover which led to a few wayward tackles. He might also be vulnerable to a team that breaks very fast.

But as long as we don't run him into the ground playing a full 90 mins week in and week out, think he'll be very valuable especially in Europe.

You have to trust Roberto's judgement on this one, being a qualified physio and also his manager he will be acutely aware of all aspects of physical fitness
Great news in my humble opinion,not that this cuts any ice with our resident experts.

Utterly baffled that people think he won't last 3 years.

He played 37 games last season, only Coleman (41) and McCarthy (39) played more times.
And Barry couldn't play in 2 games vs City because of the loan deal arrangement.

The man is a machine. He eats right, trains right, and stays fit. The likelihood is he'll be playing on until his late 30s, never mind just 36.

No, I brought up 2 examples of great value signings. Just because I think Cahill and Arteta were good pieces of business doesn't mean I think Moyes is a better manager than Martinez.

Those were great value signings, but you used them to knock Martinez' signing of Barry, by saying it was of inferior value.

People have concerns due to the tiredness he showed at times during the season, add another 10+? Europa Leagues and its not gonna get any easier, hes an amazing player, if he wanted 3 and 3 was the only way we could get him, im glad we did it, but seems risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back