Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
People have concerns due to the tiredness he showed at times during the season, add another 10+? Europa Leagues and its not gonna get any easier, hes an amazing player, if he wanted 3 and 3 was the only way we could get him, im glad we did it, but seems risky.

Which is why Martinez has said he wants to sign 6 or 7 players, to have a bigger squad, so Barry won't have to play in all the additional games.

If its a 2 year deal I'll be chuffed. If it's a 3 year deal I'll be pleased we've made a signing but miffed that we've been duped into having a risky high earner on the books whose legs might go after a year.

Those were great value signings, but you used them to knock Martinez' signing of Barry, by saying it was of inferior value.
I wasn't knocking Martinez I just don't think it is a great value signing if what is reported is true. Same way I had doubts about signing Kone last year. IMO you get more value from younger players. That's all.

3 year deal for a player who'll be 34 in February is totally daft.

Nah if that's what he wanted then it's what we had to do. We could have paid twelve million for someone who turned out to be pap. (Spurs know about this) This is a no risk signing of a well established player who will without doubt be a vital team member for the next two years.

It was plain to see he needed a rest at the back end of last season, but Roberto's system requires two DM's. We only had two (fit) in the squad.

If Gibson had been available, even just for 10-15 games, we wouldn't be talking about fatigue and we'd all agree Barry had had a great season. That's a key factor here, sign him, but sign some cover too. Especially with Europa to play in.

Utterly baffled that people think he won't last 3 years.

He played 37 games last season, only Coleman (41) and McCarthy (39) played more times.
And Barry couldn't play in 2 games vs City because of the loan deal arrangement.

The man is a machine. He eats right, trains right, and stays fit. The likelihood is he'll be playing on until his late 30s, never mind just 36.

Yep.

Everyone debating 2 or 3 year contract length needs to hold their roll until details are announced.
My gut reaction was I'd prefer 2 years at 80k to 3 years at 60k until I stop, think and realise you're almost freerolling that 3rd year.
We can wait till we know what the score is.
Also Barry has never had pace and has played this position for years. It's very different from transitioning an ageing winger (Giggs) or box to box mid in to this role for the twilight of their career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back