Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think it matters all that much these days as to the duration of contracts. He'll likely only stay 2 of the 3 years max, before heading to the MLS or out on loan for the remainder.

Arsed? 3 years is great, he is 33 not 73, he will play a similar role to Gerrard has, withdrawn and dictate play, Barkley & McCarthy will do the leg work that everyone believes he won't be able to do, plus his experience at City in Europe will give us something we never had previously.

Think he'll also join our coaching staff. Why its 3 not 2.

If we'd missed out on him to a club who was willing to pay him it would be universal condemnation on here. As it is we look like for once we're doing whats necessary and there's still criticism for it. He's a good risk free player. Worth the money for me.

Nothing money in todays game plus the position and way he plays dilutes the age thing. If Sky are correct and he's turned down more from the hammers it's a real vote of confidence in bobby and us. Make no mistake GB is nobody's fool thumbs up from me.

Securing Barry is decent business. The attack really needs sorting out though. As it stands we have one recognisable out and out forward in Kone with Mirallas drafted in there at a pinch. We need two big signings there. Established in that position at a very decent level.

Over to you fathead.

The key to getting the best out of Barry for the next two to three years is having some decent cover for him so that he doesn't have to play more than about thirty games per season. If it's true that we've got him that's fantastic news, because he'll be around as a first-team player long enough for Ledson and Lundstram to make the step up.

BUT in order for us to maximise this signing, we need Gibson to be able to play 25 games this season and there's no guarantee of that. I wouldn't be against another CM signing, perhaps a youngster on loan from a big european team a la Deulofeu.

The key to getting the best out of Barry for the next two to three years is having some decent cover for him so that he doesn't have to play more than about thirty games per season. If it's true that we've got him that's fantastic news, because he'll be around as a first-team player long enough for Ledson and Lundstram to make the step up.

BUT in order for us to maximise this signing, we need Gibson to be able to play 25 games this season and there's no guarantee of that. I wouldn't be against another CM signing, perhaps a youngster on loan from a big european team a la Deulofeu.

It's such a shame we never landed Fer. Personally, I'm not a big admirer of the two defensive CMs - although both of ours do a little bit more than that, admittedly. Gibbo wont be fit ever I dont think, certainly not long periods. We need to either get Barkley in there or buy in someone like that. Wanyama at S'ton might be a shout now the firesale is on there.

Absolute no brainer for me. If the lad wants 3 years then so be it regardless if he lasts that long or not. Reasons why -

There is no one better suited to the role than him
Senses danger hence his lack of pace has never been an issue
Terrific role model for the younger lads ( and not in a crap Phil Neville kind of way )

It's such a shame we never landed Fer. Personally, I'm not a big admirer of the two defensive CMs - although both of ours do a little bit more than that, admittedly. Gibbo wont be fit ever I dont think, certainly not long periods. We need to either get Barkley in there or buy in someone like that. Wanyama at S'ton might be a shout now the firesale is on there.

I share your fears about Gibson. It's frustrating, because when he's fit he usually plays very well.

If Southampton have just banked around £56m for Lambert, Shaw and Lallana, I can't see them letting any more first-team players go. They've sold the two likely to raise the most cash but left their defensive core intact by keeping Lovren, Schneiderlin and Wanyama. If they sold any of those three now, I think they'd be risking plummeting back down the table.

It would be a very welcome development if Barkley showed an ability to play a little further back - not saying I DON'T want him as a 10, but flexibility is always welcome.

Yeah this.

At his age its downhill all the way, when his legs go they go. He'll still be a very good player but you can't afford to carry any passengers in the premier league. He'll need to be rotated more and more through the next 3 years.

Personally i'd love to get Medel from Cardiff, reckon he'd be perfect to play as a dm who drops back between the 2 centrebacks in our system. Probably won't happen but we can't use Barry for 40+ games a season and Gibson being a bad sicknote we'll need another dm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back