Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I fail to see how such an agreement can hold any water legally.

Once his contract is up, he's a free man and not bound to any rules by Man City. He has no association with the club at all.

Does seem strange but from what I've read, there is a £2.5m "fee" to pay as part of the loan agreement if we sign him. I assume that may be the proportion of wages City paid during the loan spell?
Anyway, today's Sunday People has it that Barry has turned down an extra £25k/week at the Hammers to sign for us this coming week ......

Not sure shy everyone is bothered about 2 mil for one of the best players last year. If we bought Barry last summer for 2 mil on a 4 year deal everyone would be happy even though it's the same deal

I fail to see how such an agreement can hold any water legally.

Once his contract is up, he's a free man and not bound to any rules by Man City. He has no association with the club at all.

They held the aces, we either pay his full wages or agree to the fee terms. It might have been in the loan terms, I'm sure we will find out later this week.

That could only stand true up to 1st jUly though, As soon as Barry has seen out his contract City have absolutely no ground to stand on.

Could explain why it's taking so long really.

It could be a clause in the contract, unless we pay the fee we can't legally sign him for another 12 months.

Just a reminder that his contract with City lasts until June 30, making him a free agent from July 1st (basic FM knowledge and also the case for most contracts in real life). It could be that we have to wait until July 1st (when City can't demand anything as he is not their player anymore) to officially offer him a contract to avoid paying the £2m fee that people have been talking about. Just a guess, but I wouldn't be surprised if there is something in this. I think he'll be signed on tuesday or wednesday (July 1st/2nd), and to be honest I think a 3 year deal seems fair for a player of his calibre. He's got many good seasons left in him imo.

That's what I've been thinking, that the clause was put in so that if we completed a permanent transfer at any point within the loan period we pay £2m, this would explain the delay until after the 30th June, so as to avoid the fee.

It could be a clause in the contract, unless we pay the fee we can't legally sign him for another 12 months.

A clause which they'd only have ground to until July 1st. from July 1st Manchester City have absolutely zero say in who and how Barry can sign for anyone.

City probaly put it in to stop us waiting until july 1st and risking other clubs coming in and signing him.

Also I'd just like to point out Michael Kightly only signed for Burnley last Tuesday, even though he's been on loan for the season with them.

No rush .

They held the aces, we either pay his full wages or agree to the fee terms. It might have been in the loan terms, I'm sure we will find out later this week.

If there is a clause in his contract, we can do what we like once said contract expires...

A clause which they'd only have ground to until July 1st. from July 1st Manchester City have absolutely zero say in who and how Barry can sign for anyone.

Nope, it depends what was in the contract. A few years back i left my place of work to join a competitor, legally i could not speak to some of clients for 6 months due to my old place of work. It all depends what was in the contract at the time.

Barry was signed in transfer deadline day at the death. We all know that we never paid his full wages. City of course are happy for this and would not put a clause into the deal. They held the aces on us.

Why are people getting hung up on his contract? If we made an agreement when we agreed the loan that we would pay City £Xm if we signed him after his contract expired then of course we have to pay it to City. It isn't a question of him being a free agent, it is a question of us fulfilling the agreements we made when we agreed the loan with City

If there is a clause in his contract, we can do what we like once said contract expires...

What if the loan contract said " we have to pay a fee of 2 million if we sign him " forget about Barry's contract with City.

Its about the agreement we done last Summer with city.

Reactions: emb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back