Gareth Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
With absolute respect because it's all about opinions, I totally disagree that Besic has the passing of Barry at his best.

I like Besic, but he has shown no signs he is capable of a number of first time, sweeping passes that Barry makes every single game.

Besic of course loves a switch and has an eye for a through ball, but if he is to take Barrys mantle he needs to be able to dictate the pace of the game. Currently he only knows 250mph.

I do however think that with the right mentoring, Besic could be Barrys heir apparent.

Exactly and this is why there's no reason at all to bring in a £20mil midfielder.

We have a player in Besic who is learning the English game under one of the English games' most experienced players.

It's all about patience.

If not for his injuries, Besic would have been given more time this term.

As it is he's impressed when he has played.

He'll get a run in the team now and I think at home it may be the way to go to have Besic there as we need to be quicker on the ball at times, and then next season after he's had a full pre-season we'll begin to see him rotated with Barry more often.

I suggest keeping Barry fresh for the Semi where his know how will be all important. McCarthy and Basic is the future and should ultimately push Barry into a squad player next season. I thought he was finished after last season but he's done well this just got to be managed properly now!

Exactly and this is why there's no reason at all to bring in a £20mil midfielder.

We have a player in Besic who is learning the English game under one of the English games' most experienced players.

It's all about patience.

If not for his injuries, Besic would have been given more time this term.

As it is he's impressed when he has played.

He'll get a run in the team now and I think at home it may be the way to go to have Besic there as we need to be quicker on the ball at times, and then next season after he's had a full pre-season we'll begin to see him rotated with Barry more often.
But he has to show signs of doing that Toff. He definitely could be GazBaz's replacement from a technical point of view, but does he want to be a deep lying "metronome"? Or instead, does he want to be utilising his main strength - his tenacity?

Look at the last game when Barry had a chest infection. Rather than Besic starting, we changed to a 5-3-2 so that John Stones and his deep lying distribution could be utilised.

Everyone knows Besic is a superb ball carrier, but he still lacks the ability to show for the ball in different angles in order to quicken or slow the pace of the game.

He could do it, definitely, but he'd cease to be the Besic we all love.

With absolute respect because it's all about opinions, I totally disagree that Besic has the passing of Barry at his best.

I like Besic, but he has shown no signs he is capable of a number of first time, sweeping passes that Barry makes every single game.

Besic of course loves a switch and has an eye for a through ball, but if he is to take Barrys mantle he needs to be able to dictate the pace of the game. Currently he only knows 250mph.

I do however think that with the right mentoring, Besic could be Barrys heir apparent.

Fair enough mate, i honestly don't think we would be any worse as a team with besic starting ahead of barry right now, just my opinion ofc, and guess we will see over the next 2 games as they are real tests how much we will miss Barry - my guess is we will be surprised how well we play without him

But he has to show signs of doing that Toff. He definitely could be GazBaz's replacement from a technical point of view, but does he want to be a deep lying "metronome"? Or instead, does he want to be utilising his main strength - his tenacity?

Look at the last game when Barry had a chest infection. Rather than Besic starting, we changed to a 5-3-2 so that John Stones and his deep lying distribution could be utilised.

Everyone knows Besic is a superb ball carrier, but he still lacks the ability to show for the ball in different angles in order to quicken or slow the pace of the game.

think Besic himself was getting over the same chest infection mate, so wasn't a big surprise to not see him starting then in Barry's absence.

As for exact same players - theyre obviously not, but i don't know if we need to be trying to trying to find Barry mark 2 - all said and done a huge piece of criticsm is the pace we play at - which as you said is often set by Barry

Atm he is effectively playing kind f a similar type of role for us Gerrard did in his final few years for that lot, and relying on a player of that age and who has no pace whatsever isn't maybe the wisest decision ever.

I don't understand those who don't rate Barry. Both goals against Chelsea came from Barry breaking up play but not only against Chelsea he's done it in so many games this season. He isn't blessed with pace but lets be honest he's getting on a bit. He's just what we need infront of the back 4 in my opinion, experienced head, good on the ball. Everyone's open to their own opinion but he's been our most consistent player I think
He's got like 41 for pace on FIFA LOL he's rubbish.

I love Gaz Baz, think he was an outstanding purchase and is behind everything good we have done as a team for the last 2 years.

BUT

Im a little bit hard thinking about a McCarthy - Besic midfield for at least the next 2 games.

you know your fav manager is gonna bring in stones for tres ala back don't you?

Oh no mate I agree with you. I've said many times that our system will have to be adapted slightly when Barry does drop out.

However, he (Barry) is such a unique player that it would have to happen whether we brought in a £20mil player or not.

So, I'd rather see Besic take that spot in the team and use the strengths to his game to aid that adaption in our style, but at the same time he can pick up the tricks of the trade from Barry as, in a lot of ways, McCarthy has done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back