• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Gary Lineker knows of 2 gay prem footballers

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's sad that you have to say that. This really should be no major issue. It's no issue in other sports like rugby and the GAA in Ireland, where we've had openly gay players, but football has yet to break that barrier sadly.

When or if it does happen, that a premier league footballers comes out as gay, i honestly think quite a lot of fans won't be able to handle the situation maturely sadly.
I think generally most fans are not bothered about a player being gay at all. (There will be some of course, those people are just odd).

The issue comes when a gay player does something against your club. It's fair too easy for people to throw out the first insult they think of whch would make them an easy target. Thankfully that doesnt happen too much with black players these days (still does of course...) but the gay mockery seems to be deemed acceptable by some people as a bit of fun which it really is not.

Again football like many pasttimes is a mirror of society. If there is an issue with gay people in society then there will be an issue in football.

I think generally most fans are not bothered about a player being gay at all. (There will be some of course, those people are just odd).

The issue comes when a gay player does something against your club. It's fair too easy for people to throw out the first insult they think of whch would make them an easy target. Thankfully that doesnt happen too much with black players these days (still does of course...) but the gay mockery seems to be deemed acceptable by some people as a bit of fun which it really is not.

Again football like many pasttimes is a mirror of society. If there is an issue with gay people in society then there will be an issue in football.
We've come a hell of a long way, in terms of accepting homosexuality and making people of that orientation feel welcome in society. I still feel that we have a long way to go yet, despite the huge amount of progress made on that front.

In Ireland, the UK, Australia, USA, Canada and other countries same sex marriage has been legalized, but i still feel that a lot of gay/lesbian people feel uncomfortable about showing or expressing their feelings in public. I think that's more true for men, because most homophobic abuse to me anyway seems more aimed at males than females.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back