• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

George Green

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought he gave a decent down to earth tweet when told he'd been let go by the Club. Good luck to the lad, hope he makes a career for himself in the game.

I would like to give a big thank you to the people who supported me through out my whole time at Everton, football will be football...
And things happen for a reason however I now have to crack on and do what's right for my career thank you again.

I'm amazed, 47 pages for a lad who never played a minute for the first team.

200w_d.gif

Nah both were immensely talented but got into other stuff. Baxter turned it round to be fair.

I don't blame the other either as I'm sure scoring a goal for Everton at Goodison is nowhere near as good as the feeling of powerdrilling a bit of filth on a cocktail of beak and garys at that age.
well.. baxter turned it around untill he started doing the white stuff again, and failed his drugs test

This hasn’t come as a great surprise to me and certainly not to those in and around the club. I intimated at issues there had been with George earlier in this thread when he went out on loan to Tranmere. It would have been unfair of me to divulge much of the information other than to say there had been difficulties. It’s not fair on the young man himself, the club or the coaching staff.

More will come out and has by the looks of things. The general feeling was that Tranmere offered George a kind of last opportunity, maybe playing first team football would wake him up a little bit.

That the isuses he has were in part caused by him being a big fish in a small pond. The problem is, that the problems he faced aren’t necessarily solved by throwing him into mens football. I can see the thinking, but it was probably a bit short sited. Having said that, there’s not an awful lot more the club could have done.

What does it mean? Well I think it’s a great shame and I think that George moved much too young. There is a part of me that feels he has thrown away a fantastic opportunity, being paid money most of us could only dream of. The other part of me feels incredibly sorry for him. He was a teenager who moved away from home and struggled to cope with it. Throw in the competitive culture of pro football, the pressure of being a 300k signing and 2k per week and it’s a toxic mix for some. From a footballing perspective I had to say some are going a little OTT on this issue. Some saying it makes out our young players are no good, or we’ve just let a world class talent go, or wasted money.

The reality is George was no longer considered a top talent. You could easily name 10 players who are ahead of him in terms of potential. Feel free to go and vault me, but I’ve never suggested he was one who was close to making the first team. Around his own age we have Long, Browning, Galloway, Pennington and Jones who are ahead of him. Younger than him we have Dowell, Walsh, Ledson and Kenny.

He was rarely in the reserve team. He should not be used as some stick to beat our young players with. Yes we have spent a little bit of money on him. 300k down payment and none of the rest. The blunt truth is, if we signed 20 George Greens, if 1 makes it to the first team we have done brilliantly.

What it shows is you have to take with a pinch of salt the idea of “world class” 16 year olds. Aside from Rooney it’s hard to think of any young English player in the last 50 years who you could say was good enough at age 16. Rooney was a freak, a player you get once in a life time. Even great players like Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard etc were not first team regulars at age 18, never mind 16. Everything depends on the development between 16-21. For George he has gone off the rails.

I hope for the sake of the lad himself he sorts himself out and gets a club. I doubt it though, Tranmere was an audition for him and he flunked his lines. For Everton, brutal though it may be, we need to focus on the dozen or so young players who are in advance of Green.

Does anyone genuinely wish him the best or just the 'not coming back to bite everton in the arse' best
I hope he does in a way.

Clearly has talent and if he can go away and sort himself out it would be great for the lad.

Hate seeing talent unfulfilled when most of us would kill for half the ability some of these guys have who don't make the most of it.

I hope he does in a way.

Clearly has talent and if he can go away and sort himself out it would be great for the lad.

Hate seeing talent unfulfilled when most of us would kill for half the ability some of these guys have who don't make the most of it.

It's hard with footballers, as they earn some grotesque amounts of money if they are successful to feel in any way sorry for him. There's little doubt he's been a pain and upset people. At the other end we are talking about a teenager who is homesick, lonely and has struggled to cope emotionally with the world around him.

Without trying to sound too hippy, I hope he can find a sense of calm and happiness in whatever he does going forward, be that in football or not. That's true of any young person, particularly those who have been entrusted to the care of Everton at some point in their lives. Whether he can get back on the straight or narrow via football, or another avenue isn't important to me but with anyone who goes through the club I hope that life works out ok for them.

This hasn’t come as a great surprise to me and certainly not to those in and around the club. I intimated at issues there had been with George earlier in this thread when he went out on loan to Tranmere. It would have been unfair of me to divulge much of the information other than to say there had been difficulties. It’s not fair on the young man himself, the club or the coaching staff.

More will come out and has by the looks of things. The general feeling was that Tranmere offered George a kind of last opportunity, maybe playing first team football would wake him up a little bit.

That the isuses he has were in part caused by him being a big fish in a small pond. The problem is, that the problems he faced aren’t necessarily solved by throwing him into mens football. I can see the thinking, but it was probably a bit short sited. Having said that, there’s not an awful lot more the club could have done.

What does it mean? Well I think it’s a great shame and I think that George moved much too young. There is a part of me that feels he has thrown away a fantastic opportunity, being paid money most of us could only dream of. The other part of me feels incredibly sorry for him. He was a teenager who moved away from home and struggled to cope with it. Throw in the competitive culture of pro football, the pressure of being a 300k signing and 2k per week and it’s a toxic mix for some. From a footballing perspective I had to say some are going a little OTT on this issue. Some saying it makes out our young players are no good, or we’ve just let a world class talent go, or wasted money.

The reality is George was no longer considered a top talent. You could easily name 10 players who are ahead of him in terms of potential. Feel free to go and vault me, but I’ve never suggested he was one who was close to making the first team. Around his own age we have Long, Browning, Galloway, Pennington and Jones who are ahead of him. Younger than him we have Dowell, Walsh, Ledson and Kenny.

He was rarely in the reserve team. He should not be used as some stick to beat our young players with. Yes we have spent a little bit of money on him. 300k down payment and none of the rest. The blunt truth is, if we signed 20 George Greens, if 1 makes it to the first team we have done brilliantly.

What it shows is you have to take with a pinch of salt the idea of “world class” 16 year olds. Aside from Rooney it’s hard to think of any young English player in the last 50 years who you could say was good enough at age 16. Rooney was a freak, a player you get once in a life time. Even great players like Ferdinand, Lampard, Terry, Gerrard etc were not first team regulars at age 18, never mind 16. Everything depends on the development between 16-21. For George he has gone off the rails.

I hope for the sake of the lad himself he sorts himself out and gets a club. I doubt it though, Tranmere was an audition for him and he flunked his lines. For Everton, brutal though it may be, we need to focus on the dozen or so young players who are in advance of Green.
Was it you who said in one line "Green wont make it" in a reply to me.

I remember thinking from the bluntness it sounded like there was something going on and was said by someone ITK.

Was it you who said in one line "Green wont make it" in a reply to me.

I remember thinking from the bluntness it sounded like there was something going on and was said by someone ITK.

I am not sure mate in all honesty, but probably! I remember saying on here he wasn't really being talked about as a first team player and was well below others in the pecking order. They have had concerns about George for a while. He would get very homesick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back