Gerard Deulofeu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wish Martinez would leave him on in games, even when he is quiet, his assist in the West Ham game proves he can create something from nothing.

As good as he is, he has visibly tired in games. Doesn't seem to have the stamina to last 90 mins in a Premier League game, or at least not yet he doesn't.

Don't really have an issue with how he has been used. He was struggling to play more than half an hour a couple of months ago without looking like a 60-a-day man who's doing the santa dash after a night on the lash

Of course he has to agree. I would have thought that would be plain as day. He is officially an Everton player.
You are quite right. I think a lot of the worry on here is because people naturally presume that if Barca come calling for a player, it is a given that said player will want to go.

What they are perhaps not considering is that there is now a fair bit of history between Gerard, Barca and ourselves (in relative terms at least) which means that such a presumption is far from a given. Even as a boyhood Barca fan, the relationship between him and his former club is not 100% amicable. The incumbent manager has publicly undermined him on more than one occasion. Moreover, and more importantly imho, the lad is happy here; he actively pushed to come back; he makes no secret of this. He may be young and Catalan, but that does not do much to diminish the mentality that anyone would have in his position i.e. once bitten twice shy.

Given the fee is fixed too, his agent's influence in such a deal would be minimal. Agents are historically our biggest enemies in terms of losing our most cherished stars.

Nothing worth getting in a flap about at this stage - the time for that was when we first signed him on a permanent deal, and that time has long since passed.

Just the impression I got from the wording by Martinez. He described an elaborate loan deal.

As said, I think that would be illegal in practice as you either have a player under contract or you don't, but I have a feeling that's the agreement.

I don't think you're right mate. There would be little point in it being a "permanent" deal in the first place, why not a loan instead?

Buy back clauses are quite common in Spain, particularly for Barca and Real Madrid. It's totally understandable that a team would insert a clause to force us to accept a certain figure as a transfer fee as a hedge against the player achieving his potential. How would that work with the player? We've presumably given him a pay rise on what he earned as a Barca youth player to join us full time. How do you insert an agreement in a transfer that he has to agree to come back as part of the package?

It won't matter though - I would expect that if Deulofeu goes back, it will be because he wants to play for the team he supports anyway. That's always been his aim, so if he thinks he has a chance of doing that, he'd probably walk there.

No problem, I'm happy he's here and I'd rather we had him on this kind of deal than not at all, which was the alternative.

For me Barca would only sign him back if he was in the senior national side and playing as one of the best in the league (ala fabregas at arsenal)

Deloufeus very good but Messi-Neymar-Suarez will be the front 3 for atleast the next 2 seasons in my opinion, then you have the squad players. I don't think Deloufeu would go back to be a squad player. You then have Enrique who doesn't seem to rate him, his job will be safe for next season should they win la liga and possibly the season after.

For me he has the touch of Rom about him in that he knows he has to play week in week out to reach his potential. He's got alot of work still to go.

There's no way Barcelona would have allowed us to pay £5M for him without this release clause, his value is much nearer £10M. We did really well to get him in any way we could.

If he keeps going as he is, we'll have been paid between 2-8 million to have one of the best young players in Europe here for 2 seasons, I don't think anyone would have turned that offer down given the other options available.

My hope with Geri is that with a few of the younger generation in spain strugling for game time, such as Olli Torres, Dennis Saurez etc and even young players at lesser teams, Geri gives them glowing reviews of Everton and sells playing for us to them.
That was Mark Hughes aim with the likes of Bojan & Iniesta

It was well documented at the time, and again today, that this was the only deal Barca were willing to do. If Barca do buy him back we get a 3m euro profit and a % of any future sale, as well as Deulofeu playing well enough that Barca want him back.

Not sure how that is silly?

It's not as bad as some are making out, just hope we have him for atleast 2 seasons

Barcelona will be watching his progress with interest,I doubt two good outings against young defenders playing in fairly average leagues will over excite them.But if he scores a hatrick v Arsenal or City......

Even if we had him on a deal with no buy-back, if he steals the show this season or next then we'd be expecting bids from the likes of Barca. He's that good.

We shouldn't be worrying about something we can't control lads, let's just enjoy him whilst he's here.

Just wish Martinez would leave him on in games, even when he is quiet, his assist in the West Ham game proves he can create something from nothing.
They are still probably being a touch cautious about his fitness and especially his hamstrings.

He played hardly any football for several months and Martinez said in one of the interviews “If I showed you the stats against West Ham you wouldn’t believe them. He had more high intensity off the ball than on it. That is the first time ever since he has been in professional football."

He's building up his strength but we are better doing that gradually rather than rushing it and pushing him to breaking point.

Reactions: obc
I predict Barca will sign him from us for 9m next summer, then loan him back to us for a year. Then sell him for +30m the following year.

At that point we will have had three years of lovely Del Boy at an approx 5m profit. It could be worse, like.

Edit: unless he signs for Klopp's all conquering Liverpool and they win three leagues on the spin captained by RoboGerrard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back