Getting old

I found myself single 5 years ago at the age of 57 and realise I'm not gonna find anyone now as after 55 you invisible to the opposite sex. Find it quite liberating that I not got to try and impress anyone. I got full control of the remote, the toilet seats down all the time and can walk round in my granny pants and not shave my legs for weeks lol

Well hellooo……

Tbf though guys, it is a change of life, for the better I may say. Once you get past the can’t do what I used to do, or climb a long ladder, you begin to enjoy what you can do and take a far more relaxed view of life. All my friends are now retired and none of us would go back to our old lives of working like a dog, never seeing the kids or wife, paying mortgages or whatever…it’s liberating, enjoy it, it’s the best time of your life…..

How rubbish is it?

Spent all day yesterday doing jobs around the house, picking up kids toys mainly! Now my back is actual broken.

Also ive noticed that my sentence forming is getting worse, missing complete words off sentences, adding words that dont belong, just general derpisms that I never made in my younger days. I aint even gonna talk about the penis things.

Lets have a good old moan about getting old.

Young uns, pipe down.

Just looked it up, still don’t have a clue….

As others have said, I think one of the better things about getting old(er) is the shifting perspective: nowadays I don't bother much about stuff that I can now see is trivial, whereas the much younger me would get all bent out of shape about all sorts of (what I now know to be) totally meaningless crap.

And speaking of getting bent out of shape - I spent the afternoon weeding the garden, and may as well have spent the afternoon being kicked by a horse, given how I'm feeling now. The garden would look much the same, too.

As others have said, I think one of the better things about getting old(er) is the shifting perspective: nowadays I don't bother much about stuff that I can now see is trivial, whereas the much younger me would get all bent out of shape about all sorts of (what I now know to be) totally meaningless crap.

And speaking of getting bent out of shape - I spent the afternoon weeding the garden, and may as well have spent the afternoon being kicked by a horse, given how I'm feeling now. The garden would look much the same, too.

Get a gardener mate, honestly ……

I had my first white collar boxing match aged 45 and another aged 46.

Put myself through months of hard training and was in fantastic shape, probably fitter than when I used to play football Saturdays and Sundays in my 20’s and 30’s. This photo shows how good shape I was in.

I just like to tick over now but I still reckon I could get myself in decent shape again if I really had the desire.

I believe if you think you can, you can, need luck and health permitting of course.

That said, I still doze off quite easily these days, but I have a 12 year old daughter who keeps me thinking young.
View attachment 169752
You look svelte in that black outfit ?

We do a lot together but equally we enjoy doing our own thing. It’s good to have mutual interests but also the opportunity to individually do what we like.

Jealousy is the most pointless feeling in the world. Also, the best thing we did was set up a mine and hers living rooms: no arguments over TV.
Our lives are pretty similar.

We're both happy doing own thing with our own circles, but occasionally enjoy meeting up as a couple and enjoying the others usual activities.

We have a shared TV room, a shared master bedroom (the wardrobes/drawers in that are just for linen/towel storage... Not overflow for her 'sometimes' outfits) and we each have a spare bedroom that's instead used as home office/dressing room/tv/games whatever.

A bit like Kurt I do most of the cooking, most of the cleaning and all of the ironing, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. (Like me flying 7 hrs to watch bloody Everton several times a year doesn't bother her.)

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back