Getting old

Threads full of 30 and 40 odd year old kids whinging about getting old. Stop it, get out there and joy life. Then come back to this thread in about 30-40 years and whinge…Another one of my mates died this week, only 69……
Depends on your roll of the health dice, really.

I'm on the fortunate end. I was dealing with a lot of knee, back and neck problems in my late twenties and early thirties resulting from all the athletics as a kid. Turns out that if I take a little better care of them (do things like ditch the soda, don't redline them and don't sit at a desk for ten hours straight), they act up a lot less. I can hike as much as I want, but running is a very bad idea. There are irritations from aging - good luck getting eight hours of sleep in a row - but quality of life overall is a lot better than it was then.

Somebody with an auto-immune condition, or whose joints deteriorated further, would likely have a very different perspective from mine.

Nah, I decided I would cut my ties with live gigging completely. I'm going to sell 3 of my 4 Gibson Les Pauls, the Mesa Boogie F-50, and microphones and stands (mic & guitar stands). As I have said, I've had a good run, probably better than most semi-pros given the longevity and places I've played. Just play at home from now on, on my Taylor 314 acoustic and Eko 12-string.
GLWS of your gear mate

Depends on your roll of the health dice, really.

I'm on the fortunate end. I was dealing with a lot of knee, back and neck problems in my late twenties and early thirties resulting from all the athletics as a kid. Turns out that if I take a little better care of them (do things like ditch the soda, don't redline them and don't sit at a desk for ten hours straight), they act up a lot less. I can hike as much as I want, but running is a very bad idea. There are irritations from aging - good luck getting eight hours of sleep in a row - but quality of life overall is a lot better than it was then.

Somebody with an auto-immune condition, or whose joints deteriorated further, would likely have a very different perspective from mine.
Know a few of them, debilitating I believe is the term...

Nah, I decided I would cut my ties with live gigging completely. I'm going to sell 3 of my 4 Gibson Les Pauls, the Mesa Boogie F-50, and microphones and stands (mic & guitar stands). As I have said, I've had a good run, probably better than most semi-pros given the longevity and places I've played. Just play at home from now on, on my Taylor 314 acoustic and Eko 12-string.

baby-shocked.gif

Yes and no.

The stress they bring isnt as easy when you get older.

I mean the stress for their wellbeing, as a parent you never switch off, but as your kids grow, they become independent, more aware of danger, safe almost.

Just as you start to relax and BOOM, here we go again.
THIS.

I do this now, my son has just turned 20 and I'm constantly messaging him when he's out asking if he's ok.
I cant relax because of modern day society.

When he's away working I'm ok but as soon as he comes back home then goes out with his mates i cant relax fully especially when he doesn't answer messages even though his phone is glued to his hand.:mad:

THIS.

I do this now, my son has just turned 20 and I'm constantly messaging him when he's out asking if he's ok.
I cant relax because of modern day society.

When he's away working I'm ok but as soon as he comes back home then goes out with his mates i cant relax fully especially when he doesn't answer messages even though his phone is glued to his hand.:mad:
My wife constantly refers to what I was doing as a youth (being far from innocent) as some form of reference to let the children get on with life and be free.

I keep reminding her, this is why I'm quite strict in terms of expectations because I do not want my children to be like myself. I've learnt from my many mistakes.

The 'but you did it when you were younger' argument is bounded around far too often, and it ignores the point that most parents want better for their child.

They do need to experience the world and learn from their own mistakes, however on the flip side they don't need to be left to get into trouble like I often did.

Totally agree mate. I have been lucky enough to travel a bit, and meet lot's of diverse people.

Loads of obviously wealthy folk, have been as unhappy and miserable as sin.

Encountered loads of people, living from one pay check to the next, and the nicest, contented people you could wish to meet.

Growing up in Liverpool in the late 60's and 70's was tough, but these experiences now make me appreciate the life I have now.

I will be retiring soon, not able to afford that dockside flat near Bramley Moore, but I will not starve either.
Re the bolded part above, I reckon a lot of what governs whether people are happy or not is what Yobo posts below. Doesn't matter how much money you have if you haven't lived your life as you really wanted to.
If i died tomorrow i wouldnt regret a thing, ive basically lived how ive wanted to the whole time

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back