Go on then... own up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Birmingham 04-05 season (I think). they equalised to make it 1-1 and we left with seconds to go. we won 3-1. that's how i remember it anyway.

I'm not one who generally leaves early, the last time I did, we were 1-3 down to United & I heard the roof come off just as I got into SP, never again.

I left early when Arsenal raped us 6-1 first game. I have no issue with people who do it. I felt humiliated watching us that day.

i've only ever left a football match once early (dad's decision) we were losing 1-0 at home to newcastle on a sunday 4pm game and we left 86th min i think, keiron dyer went and scored a goal of the season candidate just as we were leaving. It's a 200 mile drive home and we actually got home earlier than what we did for 3pm kick offs (because we avoided the mass of traffic), so my dad was sort of happy about that.

if the decision is up to me though, i'll never leave a game early. Just highlighting the importance of avoiding the after match traffic for some, i just wouldn't leave because anything can happen. people leaving a game at 30 mins when their team is 3-0 down is stupid though

There's a motivation issue for players here though too. We are 'supporters' are we not? To a team that's already trying to rally having gone down to an unfortunate goal (or fortunate, depending on your perspective), what do you think seeing queues of people at the exits does for your drive to get back into the game? Admittedly our support isn't anywhere near as bad as some in this respect, but I always find myself asking myself asking the question what must they hear when someone asks them who they 'support'. Who do they follow would be a fairer question to answer with EFC at that stage.

Jags himself said it in his post-match interview, after the equaliser went in, the crowd more or less sucked the winner into the net. If more people felt it was prudent to leave at this stage of a game, that effect (even if purely psychological for the players) would be diminished in line with the proportion of people who leave.

I can appreciate people need to get home etc, but trust me, it's no less of pain in the derriere sitting in the 2 mile queue for the Wallasey tunnel on Scotty Road (or whichever particular queue you're in) when you've witnessed a result like that last night than it is when you've been hoofed. Either way, many fellow road users are going to get the bird (read middle finger or other half, I used alternately at will, both equally degrading) and you're still gonna hornblast the feck out of whoever believes they have free reign to jump the queue in their X3!

Have never left a game early. Don't get to enough due to distance and like to clap the boys off. I did once miss a goal though. Having a beer at fulham with my mate last year and missed Drenthes opener gutted it was a screamer!

Status
Not open for further replies.