Status
Not open for further replies.
Pickford
Coleman Keane Williams Baines
Gueye Schneiderlin
Rooney Klaassen Siggurdsson
Giroud

Stek, Holgate, Mori, Davies, Barkley, Bolasie, Sandro

robles, kenny, martina, jagielka, New CB, connolly, mirallas, lennon, besic, McCarthy, barry, lookman, dowell, calvert-lewin
So after today's news we'll have a bulky squad it seems. With everyone fit and firing, this would be my best XI, best bench and then the rest, which results in 32 players (including siggurdssson and giroud/the striker we'll end up getting that koeman alluded to).

So with that in mind, mori is bolded as he'll lose his bench place to a new centre back, and barkley will likely be off the books replaced by a mccarthy or maybe mirallas. That would still leave us with 32 which admittedly does include a hell of a lot of youngsters, some of which like kenny, connolly and dowell, whom may not figure all too much anyway, but they definitely deserve inclusion imo.

It points out no real need to buy a barkley replacement (we would have gone after siggurdsson regardless of if he'd stayed), i just think all this means is that we now won't/don't need to sell mccarthy. But looking at that list, only really robles seems to also be off (will we buy another keeper anyway?). We still have a few others like niasse, garbutt, pennington, tarashaj, leandro etc. whom also need shipping out as given their ages to game ratio, they won't make it here.

But it definitely seems to me we have a very big and talented squad, which is sadly depleted a bit by some massive long term injuries, but there's a good breed of talent there like mirallas not even getting onto the bench, we definitely have the bodies to compete on multiple fronts this upcoming season, with a very very good starting XI to boot.

p.s. holgate and mori are on my bench because of versatility in covering all 4 defensive positions, which i think is key. The same reason goes to having two centrally focused midfielders on the bench.

If we can add the 3 likely players Iceland, Le Target and a CB we do have a nice squad able to cope with the 4 comps we enter.

Think Robles, Jamo and Ross will all be moved on, very slight chance of Jags, depending what age group and type of quality the CB we get in is.

Can also see a few of the younger lads going out on loan and im sure we will make a few moves for some U23 signings.

Big, big loss Rom and Ross, not even gonna gloss over that, but we have improved the squad in terms of options at least.

Not really sure which thread to put this in.

European squad rules are slightly different. Still have to name a squad with a maximum of 25 players but here are the differences as I understand it. Lookman and Calvert-Lewin will not qualify as B list players as they have not been here for 2 years so would have to be named in the 25 man squad. Where as the likes of Davies, Kenny, Connolly and Dowell are free to be on the B list. Holgate will be a B list player by the time the squad will be named as he will have passed 2 years at the club.

As for the home grown rule at least 8 of the 25 have to be of this status but here comes another difference. 4 of them players need to have been on the books at Everton between the ages of 16 and 21. In this category we currently have 7 players Rooney and Barkley are the only ones who could be considered 1st teamers and Barkley is probably off. The other 5 who meet this criteria are Garbutt, Baxter, Gethin Jones, Conor Grant and Sam Byrne. So the likelihood is we could have 3 players who can play in Europe but not the Premier League. I would personally pick Garbutt, Baxter and Jones to join Rooney.

With these 3 having to take places in the 25 and also Lookman and Calvert-Lewin taking places it might be that we have to leave Coleman and Bolasie out of the squad for group stages and if they are fit for knock out section use 2 of our 3 changes to get them in the squad.

Not really sure which thread to put this in.

European squad rules are slightly different. Still have to name a squad with a maximum of 25 players but here are the differences as I understand it. Lookman and Calvert-Lewin will not qualify as B list players as they have not been here for 2 years so would have to be named in the 25 man squad. Where as the likes of Davies, Kenny, Connolly and Dowell are free to be on the B list. Holgate will be a B list player by the time the squad will be named as he will have passed 2 years at the club.

As for the home grown rule at least 8 of the 25 have to be of this status but here comes another difference. 4 of them players need to have been on the books at Everton between the ages of 16 and 21. In this category we currently have 7 players Rooney and Barkley are the only ones who could be considered 1st teamers and Barkley is probably off. The other 5 who meet this criteria are Garbutt, Baxter, Gethin Jones, Conor Grant and Sam Byrne. So the likelihood is we could have 3 players who can play in Europe but not the Premier League. I would personally pick Garbutt, Baxter and Jones to join Rooney.

With these 3 having to take places in the 25 and also Lookman and Calvert-Lewin taking places it might be that we have to leave Coleman and Bolasie out of the squad for group stages and if they are fit for knock out section use 2 of our 3 changes to get them in the squad.

No point in registering Coleman, Bolasie, Barkley or RFM for the UEFA squad.

No point in registering Coleman, Bolasie, Barkley or RFM for the UEFA squad.

Totally agree although the squad doesn't have to be officially named until after deadline day so if Barkley hadn't been sold I would name him as one of the club trained players instead of one of Garbutt, Baxter or Jones. Funes Mori is written of for the season the other 2 should be for by New Year so would come into contention for when changes are allowed.

Totally agree although the squad doesn't have to be officially named until after deadline day so if Barkley hadn't been sold I would name him as one of the club trained players instead of one of Garbutt, Baxter or Jones. Funes Mori is written of for the season the other 2 should be for by New Year so would come into contention for when changes are allowed.

Got to think as well of any January transfers.

Does seem absolutely mad that we've gone from having pretty much all runners in attack (Mirallas, Barkley, Lukaku, Bolasie) with no one to play them in, to barely any runners and lots of people to play them in (Rooney, Klaassen, Sigurdsson if he signs).

We are lacking:

Another first choice centre back
A creative player who can beat players and score goals for the front 3
A strong, fast, goalscorer

We could maybe get away without the centre back.
As I've made abundantly clear I don't think Sigurdsson is the midfielder we need. Someone like Keita Balde.
I'd say Iheanacho for the striker.

We are lacking:

Another first choice centre back
A creative player who can beat players and score goals for the front 3
A strong, fast, goalscorer

We could maybe get away without the centre back.
As I've made abundantly clear I don't think Sigurdsson is the midfielder we need. Someone like Keita Balde.
I'd say Iheanacho for the striker.
Decent shout for the striker,but I've a feeling Koeman will go with a target man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back