Goats squad analysis thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed;

A keeper who's not gash. - This
A right back that's not broken - Cuco is incoming. Kenny and Holgate will also be used.
A left back who not past it - Baines will still be 'first choice'. We will (possibly are) in the market for one.
At least 2 centre backs - Tend to agree. Need one 'first choice' as it stands who can partner straight up with Williams. Would keep Jags, and flog Mori and get a ball-playing CB in.
2 wingers who arent gash - 1 Attacking mid (i.e. Gylfi), not winger. If Ross leaves, we need two AMs.
2 strikers - One 'focal point' (i.e. Willian Jose), one 'wide forward' (i.e. Sandro)

Christ

7/8 in.

Madness isn't it; the absolute shedload of quality we have in that central midfield section. Then completely lacking EVERYWHERE else until Coleman gets back and even then that's only the RB spot.

GK
CB
CB
RB (Temporary/ Backup)
LB (Backup)
ACM
RW
LW
CF
CF

A minimum of 10 players..?!

you're looking at it wrong mein frendel.

we do definitely need a large batch of new blood to boo, but in the forward positions we don't strictly need players who are so rigid.

My thinking is we'll go for one 'out-and-out' striker to be the focal point. As back-up/rotation for several poisitions we may then look to bring in a 'utility' player like Rooney (as an example, btw) along with then a wide forward (Sandro).

This will allow us to have the three forward players that Ronny likes to have - one of them being the focal point, one the pacey wide man and the other the playmaker. Kev would be the rotation option for one of those roles and Rooney (in this hypothetical) for the other. Somebody like Gylfi would be to compete with Ross for the other role, as well as providing an option in midfield. Bolasie to come back will also help, but of course can't be relied upon.

Personally, unless we really, really struggle to get bodies in, Kenny is only 1 I personally see breaking through over the 1s I named above.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.

Suspect we will also make some moves for other young uns, but currently, the squad isnt making for pretty reading, not for a team expected to challenge in 4 comps.
Up top looks especially depressing. But I'm hopeful Holgate and Lookman can push on more from last season.

Up top looks especially depressing. But I'm hopeful Holgate and Lookman can push on more from last season.

Im hoping for big things from the boy Mola.

you're looking at it wrong mein frendel.

we do definitely need a large batch of new blood to boo, but in the forward positions we don't strictly need players who are so rigid.

My thinking is we'll go for one 'out-and-out' striker to be the focal point. As back-up/rotation for several poisitions we may then look to bring in a 'utility' player like Rooney (as an example, btw) along with then a wide forward (Sandro).

This will allow us to have the three forward players that Ronny likes to have - one of them being the focal point, one the pacey wide man and the other the playmaker. Kev would be the rotation option for one of those roles and Rooney (in this hypothetical) for the other. Somebody like Gylfi would be to compete with Ross for the other role, as well as providing an option in midfield. Bolasie to come back will also help, but of course can't be relied upon.

I agree and ive simplified the players with regards roles, but I could easily have just grouped the ACM, Wingers and ST in 1 section marked attackers, which changes it up a little.

Suspect Ronny will favour the 4-3-3 as much as he can.

I agree and ive simplified the players with regards roles, but I could easily have just grouped the ACM, Wingers and ST in 1 section marked attackers, which changes it up a little.

I base my thinking on Koeman regularly referring to both Bolasie and Barkley as 'strikers'.

But yeh, bare bones - for now.

Personally, unless we really, really struggle to get bodies in, Kenny is only 1 I personally see breaking through over the 1s I named above.

Happy to be proved wrong of course.

Suspect we will also make some moves for other young uns, but currently, the squad isnt making for pretty reading, not for a team expected to challenge in 4 comps.
He needs to throw Dowell in. He has something no one else has and he'd allow us to vary our approach.

Liam Walsh is another who needs blooding or so I hear, though he's got a queue ahead of him in MF.

433 is a terrible system to play with a piss poor defence....and we have a piss poor defence.

He needs to throw Dowell in. He has something no one else has and he'd allow us to vary our approach.

Liam Walsh is another who needs blooding or so I hear, though he's got a queue ahead of him in MF.

Dowell is very hit and miss Dave.

Class talent but he goes missing too often to be ready imo.

Personally, I'd like to see him loaned out to a decent Championship side after getting a pre-season under his belt.

Think a side like Barnsley - where he'd get a lot of playing time in a side that play good togger - would be ideal.

Personally, I'd like to see him loaned out to a decent Championship side after getting a pre-season under his belt.

Think a side like Barnsley - where he'd get a lot of playing time in a side that play good togger - would be ideal.

Does Dowell always play the same position for Everton u23s, and England? What position did he play against Norwich, I cannot recall but remember him being in CM areas spraying the ball around?

I think we need to mould him into one position, but I'm not sure where that would be......

Does Dowell always play the same position for Everton u23s, and England? What position did he play against Norwich, I cannot recall but remember him being in CM areas spraying the ball around?

I think we need to mould him into one position, but I'm not sure where that would be......

He plays wide right I think, with the freedom to cut inside onto his left peg.

I think he's probably a No.10, but he needs gametime in a more competitive league to a) build up physically and b) get more consistent.

Honestly think at this stage he's too good for the U23s and needs to be loaned out - but only after he gets another first-team pre-season under his belt.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

You dont feed donkeys strawberries.

He's class. Just put him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back