Golf 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awful. I cannot believe this is happening.

PGA Tour looks spineless here. I bet Rory and guys like JT, Spieth, etc are furious
I see it as more, Liv has deemed it is never going to be nothing more than a cash drain, with no returns, in either financial terms or PR.
Pga and European tour can easily sell this as players crawling back.

Do you think?
Not so sure. I just see this as Liv going away, very soon with a move to more of a world tour.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a league type scenario where the Pga is the top division and if you lose your card, you play on a Euro/Liv tour. Rest of the world tour, if you like.
Might mean some of the Americans who lose their card will have opportunities to play rest of the world golf, instead of their own lower tour. Then the top of rest of the world standings, get a pga tour card for the following year.

Wonder what happens with the signing bonus for the Liv lot. Also wonder what the likes of Dustin Johnson and Bryson make of it.
Koepka I assume will welcome a move back, and he will more than likely severely limit his schedule to manage his knees.
I'm hoping that something like this is the outcome. It's a little weird in the sense that all of the Middle East dates are currently in the UAE. This probably gets the Jeddah date on the PGA/DP calendar. Not sure if the Saudis want to push the UAE dates out or not.

There are a lot of ways they could go with this. They could more or less replace the non-designated events on the PGA Tour with the big foreign ones, and relegate those events to the second-tier tour. It could be good for the golfers in the second-tier in the sense that the money will probably be a lot better, though they'll also probably have to spend some of it on travel.

The best-case outcome is that most of the events on the PGA Tour become 'worth playing' financially, so we get stronger fields every week, and some of the money injected flows downward to grinders like Olin Browne.

The new merged organisation is apparently going to be a profit making organisation, as opposed to the non profit making PGA tour. Inevitably that will at some point mean an increase in the cost of watching golf on the telly!
No doubt they will try and spin it, by emphasising how much more “charitable” stuff will be taking place!

I see it as more, Liv has deemed it is never going to be nothing more than a cash drain, with no returns, in either financial terms or PR.
Pga and European tour can easily sell this as players crawling back.
I would say that what's happening is the Saudis are agreeing to a permanent, more limited cash drain in return for some control over outcomes. You might be surprised how much pull being the single, largest sponsor by a country mile will provide.

Rory's gonna be livid.
Probably more gutted he rejected 40/50m for a nice view atop his majestic high horse.

Don't get me wrong...... LIV was a dumb idea, you can't reinvent golf. Saudi will see the money spent on getting the media coverage as pocket fluff.

A few hours of oil pumping.

Probably more gutted he rejected 40/50m for a nice view atop his majestic high horse.

Don't get me wrong...... LIV was a dumb idea, you can't reinvent golf. Saudi will see the money spent on getting the media coverage as pocket fluff.

I imagine Rory won't be the only one fuming.

Rejecting massive sums to show loyalty to the tour, and not helping a disgusting regime by the way, only for the PGA to spit in their faces and take the money that they refused.

Rory's moral high horse is the correct place to be, the PIF is an absolute stain on sport.

I imagine Rory won't be the only one fuming.

Rejecting massive sums to show loyalty to the tour, and not helping a disgusting regime by the way, only for the PGA to spit in their faces and take the money that they refused.

Rory's moral high horse is the correct place to be, the PIF is an absolute stain on sport.
Aye, he can be happy with himself I'd say. He did his best.

From an impeccable source, it was 10 times that he was offered.

So yeah, hats off for his stance against joining LIV.......

But what a mistake to make.

Each to their own I guess. Like, if you were wealthy beyond your wildest dreams, never needing to work again, and FSG offered you half a billion to support Liverpool and dump on Everton, cos thats basically the equation Rory and Woods squared.

This.

PGA Tour sold its soul
Don't know how much choice they had. The party with deeper pockets tends to win protracted litigation disputes. This one was in a gray area, and would be protracted. Best way I can put it is that the Tour was at the WSOP heads-up, in the pot heavily, short-stacked and had the Saudis come in over the top with a monster bet. Monahan decided that an unfavorable split of the winnings was probably better than sledding uphill with the most likely outcome zero money.

Smart players do this no matter how much they hate the other guy. I don't blame him. I do blame governments for permitting this nonsense. That's the level that should be enforcing the moral outcomes we prefer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back