Golf 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
PGA have thrown some of their senior players under a bus here, not to mention the European tour. Can see this backfiring on them.

Wonder if players who turned down LIV have a case to sue the PGA for loss of earnings? McIlroy turned down a reported 400-500m dollars, Tiger north of that.

Penny for Greg Norman's thoughts today. 🤔 He seems to have gone MIA.

PGA have thrown some of their senior players under a bus here, not to mention the European tour. Can see this backfiring on them.

Wonder if players who turned down LIV have a case to sue the PGA for loss of earnings? McIlroy turned down a reported 400-500m dollars, Tiger north of that.

It would be interesting to see what is going to happen with the money the Liv lot got.
Did they get the money upfront, or a yearly amount? Is there anything in the contract that says if this happens, the remainder of the contract is terminated?
Will there actually be a 2 tier thingy, where Liv are employees and earn a salary and no prize money, until they make a matching amount?

But most importantly, how does this affect Phils gambling debts?

At least we can do away with the pretense that golf is not just for disgusting ultra-rich Tory types. Basically no better than polo or fox hunting.

Don't even watch golf, it excites me about as much as F1.
But Today news really did paint a picture of where Sport is headed.. Absolutely Disgusting !!!

And what a surprise, the chairmen of it is the Newcastle owner.
Sport, It's all headed one way 😔

Doubt it. Having read my fair share of contracts as the contracting party with far less market power, I can tell you that they all heavily favor the oligopoly/monopoly. This is because courts assume that the small fry had no choice but to take what was on the table, and rule that if the big fish wanted something, they should have clearly specified it. Such contracts run dozens of pages or longer for this reason, rather than to fluff up lawyers' fees. There will almost certainly be some sort of "changing market conditions" weasel word clause, unless the PGA Tour's lawyers were absolutely incompetent.

Lord only knows what will happen with the contracts the LIV golfers have. Lot of speculation about whether the up-fronts were prorated. Devil will be in the details on that one. Given what roydo had to say about Lefty, that could get real interesting for him.

I guarantee you Norman's contract has a clause precluding him from saying anything negative about LIV, and by all accounts the penalty clauses in the LIV contracts are large multipliers of the money paid up-front. Since he has nothing good to say at the moment, his only option is to remain silent until his PR people tell him how he can express himself in a manner that won't get him sued.

1. I don’t think there’s much of a chance that Monahan didn’t have his hands greased here. Lost all respect for him as I’m sure many others did
2. If I’m Rory, JT, Spieth, etc. where I actually chose morals and legacy over the blood money grab, I would be absolutely furious, and my first reaction would now be maybe getting the star players together and starting their own breakaway of sorts. This decision essentially just spits on them and the loyalty they showed. Probably won’t happen but if the top 20 decided to start their own, and Tiger was willing to front it, there would surely be some new VC money out there and others would follow

Sad day for the game in my opinion, but maybe I’m just too much of a purist when it comes to golf

Doubt it. Having read my fair share of contracts as the contracting party with far less market power, I can tell you that they all heavily favor the oligopoly/monopoly. This is because courts assume that the small fry had no choice but to take what was on the table, and rule that if the big fish wanted something, they should have clearly specified it. Such contracts run dozens of pages or longer for this reason, rather than to fluff up lawyers' fees. There will almost certainly be some sort of "changing market conditions" weasel word clause, unless the PGA Tour's lawyers were absolutely incompetent.

Lord only knows what will happen with the contracts the LIV golfers have. Lot of speculation about whether the up-fronts were prorated. Devil will be in the details on that one. Given what roydo had to say about Lefty, that could get real interesting for him.

I guarantee you Norman's contract has a clause precluding him from saying anything negative about LIV, and by all accounts the penalty clauses in the LIV contracts are large multipliers of the money paid up-front. Since he has nothing good to say at the moment, his only option is to remain silent until his PR people tell him how he can express himself in a manner that won't get him sued.
Monahan had alresdy said players who turned down contracts might have to be compensated so presumably no such clause exists.

Players who weren't party to any agreement cant be subsequently bound by it. The players weren't even informed prior to the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back