Golf 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monahan had alresdy said players who turned down contracts might have to be compensated so presumably no such clause exists.

Players who weren't party to any agreement cant be subsequently bound by it. The players weren't even informed prior to the announcement.
Ah, I see, the PGA Tour did not have contracts with the players. That could get very interesting, then. I have absolutely no idea how a court would handle that. You would probably have to ask a bunch of attorneys who are experts in that area of contract law, because there would be options on where to file. I know about the tidbit with respect to market power and contracts because it was a detail on a licensure exam (which was not the bar exam).

I stand by the points with respect to pro-rating and a non-disparagement clause in the LIV contracts. Never seen such a contract without that clause.

1. I don’t think there’s much of a chance that Monahan didn’t have his hands greased here. Lost all respect for him as I’m sure many others did
2. If I’m Rory, JT, Spieth, etc. where I actually chose morals and legacy over the blood money grab, I would be absolutely furious, and my first reaction would now be maybe getting the star players together and starting their own breakaway of sorts. This decision essentially just spits on them and the loyalty they showed. Probably won’t happen but if the top 20 decided to start their own, and Tiger was willing to front it, there would surely be some new VC money out there and others would follow

Sad day for the game in my opinion, but maybe I’m just too much of a purist when it comes to golf

This is what I was thinking today, I would not be surprised if there was some kind of revolt at player level. Tiger certainly has that clout and all the main players still look up to him as the unofficial head of everything golf. If he says it, again, I would not be surprised if something like this was put on the table and enough players and courses/sponsors around the world, sign up to it.

LIV golf- “The PGA tour is a monopoly, and that’s not right or good for the game of golf. We’re gonna sue you.”
Also LIV golf- “Ya know what would be cool? Let’s create an even bigger monopoly. It’ll be great for the game of golf!”

Hope this gets blocked. Hypocrites all around.

A grade A moron
Someone I know who, was good friends with a very intelligent grinder on tour, once told me the player told him, "Intelligence is not an advantage on the golf course. It's too easy to start thinking about what could go wrong. Most of the guys on tour are thick as bricks."

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back