Goodison memories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes,same team for years,no transfers,same kit,players going in to the game on the bus with the fans,much more innocent times and better in a lot of ways some would say👍
Yes it’s a fact that the squad who got relegated were the same squad who got them promoted three years later except they were three years older, not one player was bought in that perio.

As for going to the game I used to get the bus in St. Anne Street and have a gab to Dave Hickson, John Willie Parker,Ted Buckle and Jimmy Harris with Davie always willing to talk to all of us,a wild and robust player on the pitch a gentleman off it.

One of my favourite memories at Goodison would have to be The Andy Johnson 90 min winner against Arsenal 06/07 ,Last minute winner, Fernandes showing what a boss player he could of been, I had a migraine for days after ,Not because of the booze celebrating after the game , But because of the Hailstones hitting my bald head during the game sitting in the park end .

….times are bad but it’s nice to get away for a bit of late summer sun & read through this terrific compilation from our own @alan ball. With Christmas around the corner, it’s highly recommended.

1542D0ED-97DA-40A4-A03C-9C0FFFE5C9BC.jpeg

So many.
Quick one off top of my head. Beating Man Utd 5-0 as the Champions of England. We were such a dominant side at Goodison.
Great memory, however we weren’t Champions until the end of the season.
Week prior to Utd we won 1-0 at Anfield(Sharp) then the following midweek won at OT in the League Cup.
Those 2 weeks we knew our time had come.

wa
I’d forgotten about that Johnson one. The ridiculous hail storm just added to the drama!
I was in the LG that day and it was freezing and windy. The hail started with about 5 minutes to go iirc. The hailstones were big and bloody hurt. You could sense the Arsenal players just wanted to get off the pitch. I remember Phil Neville wincing as the hail fell. The LG went bonkers when AJ scored. The hail just added to one of those Goodison moments I will never forget.

As far as funny shouts, I heard one of the funniest during the same game. The ball was up at the Park End so the LG was quiet. Arsenals keeper Lehman had been moaning to the ref about something moments before, possibly a challenge, and he continued to rub his leg or something.
Out of nowhere, this old fella who sits about 5 seats away from me and never usually says boo to a goose shouted out load.
'Grow up Lehman you German tart'
Most of the LG heard him and everyone just burst out laughing. Another moment I'll never forget.

wa
I’d forgotten about that Johnson one. The ridiculous hail storm just added to the drama!
I was in the LG that day and it was freezing and windy. The hail started with about 5 minutes to go iirc. The hailstones were big and bloody hurt. You could sense the Arsenal players just wanted to get off the pitch. I remember Phil Neville wincing as the hail fell. The LG went bonkers when AJ scored. The hail just added to one of those Goodison moments I will never forget.

As far as funny shouts, I heard one of the funniest during the same game. The ball was up at the Park End so the LG was quiet. Arsenals keeper Lehman had been moaning to the ref about something moments before, possibly a challenge, and he continued to rub his leg or something.
Out of nowhere, this old fella who sits about 5 seats away from me and never usually says boo to a goose shouted out load.
'Grow up Lehman you German tart'
Most of the LG heard him and everyone just burst out laughing. Another moment I'll never forget.

In the grand scheme of things, last night probably doesn’t warrant a place even in the Top 100 in terms of memories, but to me it epitomised what Goodison is all about. Players 100% committed, fans 100% behind them; cheering every tackle, every opposition mistake. Us against the PL; us against the world. Such a difference from some of the toxic atmospheres we’ve had over the past few years. Finally feels like we’ve got our club back.

We don’t have this place for much longer, so let’s cherish her while we can and give her the send off she so richly deserves.

In the grand scheme of things, last night probably doesn’t warrant a place even in the Top 100 in terms of memories, but to me it epitomised what Goodison is all about. Players 100% committed, fans 100% behind them; cheering every tackle, every opposition mistake. Us against the PL; us against the world. Such a difference from some of the toxic atmospheres we’ve had over the past few years. Finally feels like we’ve got our club back.

We don’t have this place for much longer, so let’s cherish her while we can and give her the send off she so richly deserves.
The other night as Goodison celebrated wildly, I glanced across at those around me in the Upper Gwladys and saw limbs flailing all around and sheer delight on peoples faces, and thought, ‘make the most of it mate, you won’t be able to do this at this place, ever again, very soon’.
A very special but bittersweet Goodison moment.

Strange one because we got beat. !966 charity shield against the RS. Came after that cup final fight back against wednesday, then the world cup final. I was an 11 year old football mad kid at the front in the paddock and to see the FA cup, League trophy and World cup carried round the pitch by Ball, Wilson and Hunt etc was amazing! Goodison felt like the centre of the football world. Shortly after I had my tonsils out at Broadgreen hospital, a great summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.