Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

GOT Fitness LOG

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completed my first ever marathon yesterday, the Liverpool Rock n Roll.

The furthest I'd ever raced before was 10k, so I knew it was going to be difficult. The training was hard, I left myself 10 weeks to get ready for it, starting by running a few 3 to 4 mile runs during the week and doing a 6 or 7 mile run of a weekend. Extending the runs each week by a mile or 2, towards the last few weeks I was running 10 to 15 miles every Saturday and my longest run was 17.5 last Thursday.

For anyone who is thinking about doing one bare in mind the training, it takes a lot out of your normal life. I was going the match some weeks, not drinking, getting home and going out for a 2 hour run. That was hard, you really miss them warm Chang!

The race itself I was dreading, I decided to do it for Alder Hey Children's Charity to give me a bit more motivation and set myself a time of below 3 hours 30. Some people sponsored me then said they'd double it if I broke my time, which spurred me on a bit.

It was organised brilliantly and with it being around the city and covering as many landmarks as possible it was pretty scenic. The volunteers who help out and the crowds who come to watch are a god send and probably helped me knock at least an extra 5 min off my time.

For anyone who is ever thinking of doing a marathon, don't feel too daunted, it is a long distance but with some training and determination you will get through it. The feeling of crossing the line will make it all worth it also!

I managed to complete it in 3:26:41 but more importantly raised £900 for Alder Hey.

I would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of doing it next year.

That's a huge accomplishment. Congratulations.

Final turbo session done this morning before heading out to the Maratona on Sunday. Went well and am feeling in decent shape. Hopefully will go well on the day. Can't wait to hit the mountains :)

Sounds good Bruce, how much cycling will you do whilst in Italy? Km and altitude?

Sounds good Bruce, how much cycling will you do whilst in Italy? Km and altitude?

I suspect over the course of the week we'll get through 3-400km. No idea how much altitude, but I suspect around 10,000m of climbing or so. Most of the climbs around Corvara peak out at just over 2,000m. Can't think of any that go much higher, and we probably won't venture out as far as the Stelvio or Gavia.

I suspect over the course of the week we'll get through 3-400km. No idea how much altitude, but I suspect around 10,000m of climbing or so. Most of the climbs around Corvara peak out at just over 2,000m. Can't think of any that go much higher, and we probably won't venture out as far as the Stelvio or Gavia.

Isn't Passo di Pordoi the highest at around 2250m?

I've just had to have a lie down reading this!

I've just had to have a lie down reading this!

Magic part of the world ;)

1043967_10151716017106142_877457288_n.jpg

Clare 10k for me this morning, adrenalin kicking in as i'm going to try to run with a mate of mine who is the pacemaker for 55 minutes,which,if I manage it will be my fastest time by about 3 minutes.laughable really when I see some of the achievements and times on this thread,but i've found that running is quite a personal past time ,and runners today will be finishing in under 40 mins but won't get the buzz I might get if indeed I manage anywhere near 55 mins.

Clare 10k for me this morning, adrenalin kicking in as i'm going to try to run with a mate of mine who is the pacemaker for 55 minutes,which,if I manage it will be my fastest time by about 3 minutes.laughable really when I see some of the achievements and times on this thread,but i've found that running is quite a personal past time ,and runners today will be finishing in under 40 mins but won't get the buzz I might get if indeed I manage anywhere near 55 mins.

It's all relative mate. As long as you beat your own times, it doesn't matter what other folks do :)

Best of luck with the race today. Looks like a super day for it.

I had an incident on June 2nd and I ended up collapsing in the gym, for a couple of weeks after I completely lost my appetite and struggled to eat anything besides a small snack.

Since then my appetite has regained but I'm not feeling confident enough to head back to the gym, so I've just been on the exercise bike at home and doing an hour a day on that and watching what I eat and drink and having a couple of treats over the weekend, since I made a show of myself early this month I have dropped a little over a stone when I was 16 stone exactly going into June and weighed in at just under 15 stone this morning.

There is obviously so much more weight I want to lose but I can already see my belly has started to go a little so that's good enough progress for me. :)

died a death today,pace was just too fast and I never got near to it in the end,not to worry,6 weeks back I would have been bouncing if i'd come in under the hour and I did that.now to go online and pick July's run !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back