GOT Wrestle Fest Fan Thread

Making an observation shouldn't be equated with caring, much like making an observation on a gang of Klopp, Farage or Trump worshippers. Don't worry though, as a lifelong metalhead I know all about being judged. It is what it is and it'll never stop.

* Sorry, that was meant for you @Gwladysstreetlad
Fair enough mate. Maybe you don't care, I still don't understand why you'd feel the need (especially as a fellow metal guy whose probably used to being judged) why you'd equate a load of adults harmlessly just having a laugh and enjoying something you aren't into as embarrassing. Putting it on a par with Trump/Farage supporters who are actively harming the country just seems silly to me. This whole site and everyone who's into football like us could be labelled "embarrassing" to someone else. I just feel like its kinda sad that labels have to be put on people for enjoying things we don't like. Individual who are into things we don't understand and act like weirdos (a huge chunk of the RS fanbase being a good example) are a different matter imo but even then, it ain't so much the hobby itself, its how they go about enjoying it.

Sid Eudy passed today, 66 years old.

Never the greatest wrestler but he more than made the most of what he had. One of the most intimidating and dominant heels the business has seen. His powerbomb seemed genuinely scary when I was a kid.

RIP.

A while back, I went back to watch WWF from 96 onwards. Sid had 2 championship runs and a few big angles with the Undertaker and Michaels. I think he was only brought in after the Ultimate Warriors comeback fell through.

Anyway, I was immediately struck by how over he was, the crowd were absolutely wild for him, and cheered him even though Michaels was supposed to be the babyface. He was awesome, he had physical charisma in spades and came across as a genuine nutter. RIP Sid

A while back, I went back to watch WWF from 96 onwards. Sid had 2 championship runs and a few big angles with the Undertaker and Michaels. I think he was only brought in after the Ultimate Warriors comeback fell through.

Anyway, I was immediately struck by how over he was, the crowd were absolutely wild for him, and cheered him even though Michaels was supposed to be the babyface. He was awesome, he had physical charisma in spades and came across as a genuine nutter. RIP Sid
It was only in the last couple of weeks a rather sweet pic of him playing with his grandkids came up in my FB feed. He got more of a retirement than a lot of wrestlers seem to get, and seemed happy and content, at least.

Only AEW. You've got Bryan Danielson, the brand new babyface, diminutive but believable, veteran world champion whose beloved by the fans. Who does Tony think would make an excellent first challenger for him? Jack Perry ffs, the most unconvincing tough guy in the world and a legitimate vanilla midget. How often in Danielson's career has he been the bigger guy? This company and its owner are absolutely hilarious.......

Taking my kids to Wembley despite never having watched AEW before. I know there’s a few famous old wrestlers there though, and I’m sure it’ll be a fun day out. If not, there’s always beer.

Curious what you and the kids thought?

Don't worry though, as a lifelong metalhead I know all about being judged. It is what it is and it'll never stop.

That's awful. I don't know why people would judge you for fabricating things out of metal. Do you make like dragons and stuff? Man the internet can be toxic at times I'm sorry. Hope this makes you feel better:

LmpwZw

Only AEW. You've got Bryan Danielson, the brand new babyface, diminutive but believable, veteran world champion whose beloved by the fans. Who does Tony think would make an excellent first challenger for him? Jack Perry ffs, the most unconvincing tough guy in the world and a legitimate vanilla midget. How often in Danielson's career has he been the bigger guy? This company and its owner are absolutely hilarious.......

And if he'd selected a different opponent, one you approve of, I'm sure you wouldn't have mentioned that it's a one and a half week build for the match and that the good opponent was being wasted on such a short program?

In wrestling, since the 90s (for me but before if you're older) there are always crappy ones you don't like. I do also agree that Perry sucks. If you like everyone in WWE and every program then good for you but this isn't anything new for me from WCW, WWF/E, ECW, TNA, NJPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro or any of them. Genuinely not "only AEW" for me it's been the de facto experience with every promotion. All anyone ever did on the IWC for a decade was complain about WWEs booking but all of that is forgotten now.

And if he'd selected a different opponent, one you approve of, I'm sure you wouldn't have mentioned that it's a one and a half week build for the match and that the good opponent was being wasted on such a short program?

In wrestling, since the 90s (for me but before if you're older) there are always crappy ones you don't like. I do also agree that Perry sucks. If you like everyone in WWE and every program then good for you but this isn't anything new for me from WCW, WWF/E, ECW, TNA, NJPW, FMW, Michinoku Pro or any of them. Genuinely not "only AEW" for me it's been the de facto experience with every promotion. All anyone ever did on the IWC for a decade was complain about WWEs booking but all of that is forgotten now.
I sincerely believe that this Danielson Vs Perry situation is unique to AEW. No other booker would have a second ppv like this just two weeks after their biggest of the year. They also wouldn't have their brand new champion face the guy they're pushing mega hard as one of their top heels on a 13 day program. They wouldn't just ignore the fact that they already have two guys with "guaranteed" championship match's pencilled in anyway. The most obvious solution that could've prevented this whole fiasco would be for Tony Kahn to just not have All Out 13 days removed from All In. To have Danielson Vs Jack Parry this soon is absolutely horrific booking. So if AEW are facing a scenario where they face criticism whoever they book in this position then its entirely their own fault for booking themselves into a corner where they needed an opponent for Bryan on such a tiny build.

They wouldn't just ignore the fact that they already have two guys with "guaranteed" championship match's pencilled in anyway. The most obvious solution that could've prevented this whole fiasco would be for Tony Kahn to just not have All Out 13 days removed from All In.

A lot of what you are saying is the "traditional wisdom" of wrestling. Many agree with you. It's also a fact that every single one of those bookers who did things "the right way" (bar VKM) never drew a house like All In.

The PPV buys for the crazy PPV 13 days from another will be double the buy rate of any TNA PPV ever (in 2025 v. twenty years ago when PPV was generally stronger).

The PPV buys will be higher than WCW in 2000 when they spent/lost ~$100 million to get 50k buys per show and WWE could draw ~500k.

I understand it was a while ago but WCW was Moshiri while AEW are the Glazers. You hate both of them as fans of the clubs but one is WAY worse than the other. Nothing AEW does can surprise me having lived through WCW and TK really doesn't seem that crazy to me compared with pretty much any single week of the last 2/3 years of Nitro.

So at some point the "he's dumb and doing the wrong things" has to be balanced with "the results are the best results of any # 2 ever." So why don't the results match how terrible TK is according to some fans? I think to some people the likes of Herb Abrams and pals aren't being considered when Tony is "the craziest booker of all time" and it's the "only in AEW." Literally any Nitro from 99/00 has more completely insane and business killing activity than a full year of AEW. Listening to Vince Russo speak for one minute is worse than every single word I've heard TK say thus far (including all two hour pressers).

So if AEW are facing a scenario where they face criticism whoever they book in this position then its entirely their own fault for booking themselves into a corner where they needed an opponent for Bryan on such a tiny build.

I guess to you the money doesn't matter, you wouldn't run the PPVs so close. But let's say you're the booker and VP and the owner/President says run the PPV. What do you book for a 13 day build for Bryan?

Last edited:
A lot of what you are saying is the "traditional wisdom" of wrestling. Many agree with you. It's also a fact that every single one of those bookers who did things "the right way" (bar VKM) never drew a house like All In.

The PPV buys for the crazy PPV 13 days from another will be double the buy rate of any TNA PPV ever (in 2025 v. twenty years ago when PPV was generally stronger).

The PPV buys will be higher than WCW in 2000 when they spent/lost ~$100 million to get 50k buys per show and WWE could draw ~500k.

I understand it was a while ago but WCW was Moshiri while AEW are the Glazers. You hate both of them as fans of the clubs but one is WAY worse than the other. Nothing AEW does can surprise me having lived through WCW and TK really doesn't seem that crazy to me compared with pretty much any single week of the last 2/3 years of Nitro.

So at some point the "he's dumb and doing the wrong things" has to be balanced with "the results are the best results of any # 2 ever." So why don't the results match how terrible TK is according to some fans? I think to some people the likes of Herb Abrams and pals aren't being considered when Tony is "the craziest booker of all time" and it's the "only in AEW." Literally any Nitro from 99/00 has more completely insane and business killing activity than a full year of AEW. Listening to Vince Russo speak for one minute is worse than every single word I've heard TK say thus far (including all two hour pressers).

I guess to you the money doesn't matter, you wouldn't run the PPVs so close. But let's say you're the booker and VP and the owner/President says run the PPV. What do you book for a 13 day build for Bryan?
So many words to say so little. I could write pages dissecting the madness of this post but it frankly speaks for itself. Its not logical. Its the words of a fan blinded by ill judged loyalty. You're trying so hard to defend Kahn throwing away Bryan Vs Perry on less then two weeks build. Its absolutely mental that you can't see how idiotic it is.

So many words to say so little. I could write pages dissecting the madness of this post but it frankly speaks for itself. Its not logical. Its the words of a fan blinded by ill judged loyalty. You're trying so hard to defend Kahn throwing away Bryan Vs Perry on less then two weeks build. Its absolutely mental that you can't see how idiotic it is.
The thing is about AEW, it isn't about story telling it is about in ring action. So these throw together matches are something I don't mind, as long as they have decent matches.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back