Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Groucho's Fact Hunt

War accelerates technical development and The Spitfire was no exception, it was a bit like Lincolns axe, it had 5 new heads and 3 new handles but it was still 'the same one he had for 25yrs.'

1939; 27 litre V12, 3 blade propeller, 1,032HP, 29ft long, speed 355mph
1945; 34 litre V12, 5 blade propeller, 2,350HP, 34ft long, speed 452mph

Walked up Brown Clee hill today in Shropshire - not especially high, around 550m. The next highest point due East is in the Russian Ural mountains, 3500 miles away.

According to the route guide I looked up, anyhow - might have to check the atlas on that one.
Probably true as between them and you is a lot of water and flat countries, and the Urals are pretty high. I once heard a rumour that If you stood on the roof of a certain building in East anglia, you can see the Ural mountains on a very clear day. Don't know how true that is though.

Probably true as between them and you is a lot of water and flat countries, and the Urals are pretty high. I once heard a rumour that If you stood on the roof of a certain building in East anglia, you can see the Ural mountains on a very clear day. Don't know how true that is though.
Could be true - Northern European plain is flat and massive.

Reckon you'd need sharp eyes to see Russia from Norwich ??

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back