• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Keegan and taylor were abit before my time so can't really give my opinion on them, but I don't get the whole brought pride back and that, he's been lucky almost every tournament in the draws he's been given, every single time we have faced a decent ( not even good ) team in any tournament we've bene knocked out.

The only one game he's won is Germany in the last euros, a way below par Germany team at Wembley, every other decent team have beat us. He's a terrible manager.

Get him gone ASAP and get someone decent in to make the most out of this squad.

Can add McLaren to the bad managers.

Keegan was a dinosaur of a manager, struggled to qualify for Euro2000, just about scrapping past Scotland in a playoff.

Then couldn't get out the group, before he cowardly bailed on England following defeat go Germany at last game at Wembley.
Taylor famously bottled qualification for USA '94.

My point re. Southgate is he made players care about playing for England again. He made fans want to watch England again.

Players continuously withdrew from squads; there was no togetherness which was reflected by dismal 2014, 2016 campaigns. I genuinely believe he restored the pride in representing England and watching them (I realise in liverpool it's different, but nevertheless).

Wembley was getting 60,000 for most games now it sells out for Andorra on a Tuesday. He's been his own worst enemy, his time is up, but some of his hard work will hopefully be continued.

He's been exactly what England needed, but that's the end of the line now, go get a attack minded manager and try win the World Cup.

So, from what I can surmise, England play Holland UNLESS the Czechs beat Turkey or the Georgians beat Portugal.

Croatia are eliminated and the only question now is whether the formula for distribution of the third-placed sides in the draw is CDEF or ACDE.

As of tonight, the table is:

1. Group D - Holland 4 (GD 0)
2. Group E - Slovakia/ Group C - Slovenia 3 (GD 0)
4. Group A - Hungary 3 (GD -3)
5. Group B - Croatia 2 (GD -2)
6. Group F - Czech Rep 1 (GD -1)

So, it's ACDE tonight, which means England v. Holland.

Slovakia and Romania will SURELY play for a draw in their game as it guarantees both progress. Prepare for West Germany v Austria 1982. If so, the lowest points total for third place in that group is 4 points, as Belgium and Ukraine also have 3 and play each other. So that means Group E will be part of the formula.

So, it's a question if Group F can muscle in instead of Group A - Hungary, who are currently the side in jeopardy.

That means the formula is either ACDE or CDEF.

If it's CDEF then England play 3E - whichever of Romania, Slovakia, or Ukraine finish third. Belgium cannot finish third. They either win the group (with a win, if there is a draw in the other game), finish second (with a draw or a win if the other game produces a winner), or last - if they lose to Ukraine. If both games end in a draw, Romania win the group.

So, from what I can surmise, England play Holland UNLESS the Czechs beat Turkey or the Georgians beat Portugal.

Croatia are eliminated and the only question now is whether the formula for distribution of the third-placed sides in the draw is CDEF or ACDE.

As of tonight, the table is:

1. Group D - Holland 4 (GD 0)
2. Group E - Slovakia/ Group C - Slovenia 3 (GD 0)
4. Group A - Hungary 3 (GD -3)
5. Group B - Croatia 2 (GD -2)
6. Group F - Czech Rep 1 (GD -1)

So, it's ACDE tonight, which means England v. Holland.

Slovakia and Romania will SURELY play for a draw in their game as it guarantees both progress. Prepare for West Germany v Austria 1982. If so, the lowest points total for third place in that group is 4 points, as Belgium and Ukraine also have 3 and play each other. So that means Group E will be part of the formula.

So, it's a question if Group F can muscle in instead of Group A - Hungary, who are currently the side in jeopardy.

That means the formula is either ACDE or CDEF.

If it's CDEF then England play 3E - whichever of Romania, Slovakia, or Ukraine finish third. Belgium cannot finish third. They either win the group (with a win, if there is a draw in the other game), finish second (with a draw or a win if the other game produces a winner), or last - if they lose to Ukraine. If both games end in a draw, Romania win the group.

Czech had some truly rotten decisions so far, so there's a chance there.

Turkey looked all over the shop against Portugal.

If that happened, it'd be Belgium Vs. Netherlands, which would be a cracker.

Czech had some truly rotten decisions so far, so there's a chance there.

Turkey looked all over the shop against Portugal.

If that happened, it'd be Belgium Vs. Netherlands, which would be a cracker.
Let's face it, if the Czechs muscle in - or the Georgians beat a second string Portugal - England's name is on the trophy as Slovakia look almost certain opponents then. Southgate has preposterous luck with draws. If it was earned, you'd say fair enough, but it's pure chance - and it always falls well for him.

I have no faith in us getting any further but, we've won the group at a canter. That booing is absolutely shocking and counter productive. England fans are seriously backwards.
It’s absolutely deserved, we didn’t win the group at a canter, Serbia didn’t bother trying to get a point in the first game, Denmark should have beaten us and tonight was a snooze fest that if Slovenia had put any decent ball in would have got them 3 points

Possible Second Phase Draw (based on most likely results tomorrow - SLK-ROM draw, BEL win, POR/TUR do not lose)

GER v. DEN
ESP v. SLK
POR v. HUN
FRA v. ROM

BEL v. SLV
AUT v. TUR
ENG v. NED
SUI v. ITA

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back