• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Possible Second Phase Draw (based on most likely results tomorrow - SLK-ROM draw, BEL win, POR/TUR do not lose)

GER v. DEN
ESP v. SLK
POR v. HUN
FRA v. ROM

BEL v. SLV
AUT v. TUR
ENG v. NED
SUI v. ITA
Assuming favorites win all of those you could have Germany-Spain, Portugal-France, England-Italy and Belgium-Austria. Just four super games there.

Yes, I genuinely think him, Mainoo and Palmer could be among the stars of the tournament if given a chance. Saka, Foden and Bellingham are all knackered.
Yes for me its no criticism of them as players but they look like they need a rest. At least Saka, Kane and Bellingham. I thought Foden looked quite lively. I'd rest Bellingham and play Foden centrally for the next game.

He isn't gonna change anything though is he. But the pressure on these lads is mental. Bellingham carried Madrid all season now has to carry his national team at what 20? Pickford hasn't had a save to make. Yet the whole nation is booing these kids.
Yeah criticism is valid but booing and throwing cups at them is taking it a bit far IMO

Not much sympathy but 1 goal changes that game last night. Slovenia had no intention of even crossing the halfway line knowing they'll go through with 3 points. You might see a different England against a side who come out to attack. Although i think that could also be the nail in the coffin as the defence when attacked doesnt look great to me. The luke shaw thing currently looks like a right pigs ear call. No natural left back is really showing. No over laps and constantly wanting to cut inside by right footed players.
Tbh its going how i expected. That we'd claw our way out of the group and probably get turned over by the first decent team. I'd have put 5 or 6 teams winning this before England. Potential yes. Liklihood. No.

Not much sympathy but 1 goal changes that game last night. Slovenia had no intention of even crossing the halfway line knowing they'll go through with 3 points. You might see a different England against a side who come out to attack. Although i think that could also be the nail in the coffin as the defence when attacked doesnt look great to me. The luke shaw thing currently looks like a right pigs ear call. No natural left back is really showing. No over laps and constantly wanting to cut inside by right footed players.
Tbh its going how i expected. That we'd claw our way out of the group and probably get turned over by the first decent team. I'd have put 5 or 6 teams winning this before England. Potential yes. Liklihood. No.

Neither did England. Clearly happy with the draw before kick off.

Let's face it, if the Czechs muscle in - or the Georgians beat a second string Portugal - England's name is on the trophy as Slovakia look almost certain opponents then. Southgate has preposterous luck with draws. If it was earned, you'd say fair enough, but it's pure chance - and it always falls well for him.

Correct.

I'm getting 2006 vibes from this tournament so far.

Held in Germany, good group of players hyped up to ridiculous levels pre-tournament, serving up some of the most turgid, unwatchable football you could wish to see, principally because the manager is trying to fit all the biggest name players in rather than creating a balanced team and upsetting someone

No i dont think so. Just not the ability to open them up. They were only a denmark goal or two away from not winning the group and playing germany on saturday.

That would’ve been justice served. However it’s looking in all likelihood that he’s going to scab yet another ridiculous bye through the tournament by somehow landing Slovakia and then someone like Switzerland in the quarters, then we can listen to all his acolytes gas him up for tactically manoeuvring his way to another semi final without looking into any context whatsoever again.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back