• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Group C: Slovenia, Denmark, Serbia, England

Possible Second Phase Draw based on the Czech Republic beating Turkey (other results as expected)

GER v. DEN
ESP v. TUR
POR v. SLV
FRA v. ROM

BEL v. NED
AUT v. TUR
ENG v. SLK
SUI v. ITA

Can add McLaren to the bad managers.

Keegan was a dinosaur of a manager, struggled to qualify for Euro2000, just about scrapping past Scotland in a playoff.

Then couldn't get out the group, before he cowardly bailed on England following defeat go Germany at last game at Wembley.
Taylor famously bottled qualification for USA '94.

My point re. Southgate is he made players care about playing for England again. He made fans want to watch England again.

Players continuously withdrew from squads; there was no togetherness which was reflected by dismal 2014, 2016 campaigns. I genuinely believe he restored the pride in representing England and watching them (I realise in liverpool it's different, but nevertheless).

Wembley was getting 60,000 for most games now it sells out for Andorra on a Tuesday. He's been his own worst enemy, his time is up, but some of his hard work will hopefully be continued.

He's been exactly what England needed, but that's the end of the line now, go get an attack minded manager and try win the World Cup.
Southgate inherited a golden generation of players for which he deserves zero credit.

Right place at the right time to ruin englands best chance at a trophy in years. Has consistently lost to the first decent opposition in every tournament he has managed.

England are like Everton. Just because we keep scraping the bargain bucket for managers doesn’t mean there aren’t good managers (or even average ones) that can do better.

So, let me get this straight: The England players are upset that pundits are criticising them and putting too much pressure on them while, simultaneously, Jude Bellingham and Adidas are running a "Hey Jude" ad where he's some form of saviour who has "got this" for the nation?

I've just seen the ad. Good grief. Talk about monetising your own hype. No wonder they're cracking under the strain.

Southgate inherited a golden generation of players for which he deserves zero credit.

Right place at the right time to ruin englands best chance at a trophy in years. Has consistently lost to the first decent opposition in every tournament he has managed.

England are like Everton. Just because we keep scraping the bargain bucket for managers doesn’t mean there aren’t good managers (or even average ones) that can do better.
He didnt though. Fat Sam took over a side that had lost to Iceland, had one game then Southgate took over.

He's never once provided entertaining football though, all his England games have been eye hurting
Well he got results, in the end of the day it was all that mattered.
He got semis of World Cup and finals of Euros, your entire history before him (outside that win at home soil) consisted of single World Cup semi final in 1990 and pretty much nothing in Euros.

We country of 4 million independent only since 1991, managed to reach 2 World Cup semis and one final since then.
Just crazy to me for a country of your population, investment and being football crazy how poor you were on big tournaments.

Can add McLaren to the bad managers.

Keegan was a dinosaur of a manager, struggled to qualify for Euro2000, just about scrapping past Scotland in a playoff.

Then couldn't get out the group, before he cowardly bailed on England following defeat go Germany at last game at Wembley.
Taylor famously bottled qualification for USA '94.

My point re. Southgate is he made players care about playing for England again. He made fans want to watch England again.

Players continuously withdrew from squads; there was no togetherness which was reflected by dismal 2014, 2016 campaigns. I genuinely believe he restored the pride in representing England and watching them (I realise in liverpool it's different, but nevertheless).

Wembley was getting 60,000 for most games now it sells out for Andorra on a Tuesday. He's been his own worst enemy, his time is up, but some of his hard work will hopefully be continued.

He's been exactly what England needed, but that's the end of the line now, go get a attack minded manager and try win the World Cup.
Agree 100% with this matey. He has done a lot of hard work in developement at St Georges Park etc, but I think the job is to big for him on the coaching side. Doneca fair job imo,but not able to take us to the next level.

Well he got results, in the end of the day it was all that mattered.
He got semis of World Cup and finals of Euros, your entire history before him (outside that win at home soil) consisted of single World Cup semi final in 1990 and pretty much nothing in Euros.

We country of 4 million independent only since 1991, managed to reach 2 World Cup semis and one final since then.
Just crazy to me for a country of your population, investment and being football crazy how poor you were on big tournaments.
Which is why, when you strip away the money advantage that they have squandered, everything points to the culture - and the type of player that is nurtured. All of the UK countries and Ireland are similar in the sense that the football culture is homogenous - it prizes a certain type of player and a certain type of physicality above any technicality. The "box-to-box" midfielder who "arrives late in the box" is the gold standard in this culture - and that means a Modric, Kroos, Xavi, or Pirlo is less likely to be nurtured, coached or emerge. In other words a Lampard and Gerrard will always be prized over a Scholes. Until that changes, and England produces that kind of midfield link man who knits up the play and sets the tone, England will always look sub-par against countries with more technical cultures - even smaller countries like Croatia.

So just ignore the semi Euro's in 96, which Southgate lost us lol

Most of the times we've been knocked out on pens, which we are notoriously unlucky at

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight: The England players are upset that pundits are criticising them and putting too much pressure on them while, simultaneously, Jude Bellingham and Adidas are running a "Hey Jude" ad where he's some form of saviour who has "got this" for the nation?

I've just seen the ad. Good grief. Talk about monetising your own hype. No wonder they're cracking under the strain.
It's just an advert. The kid has been the best player in Madrid. That's one hell of an achievement. Looks like he's not got enough in him to carry his country too. Although we're still in it

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back