Gwladys Street Presents

I’ll be honest once the Southampton game is done I’m not even keen on the concert idea .For me personally It feels really anticlimactic to have events after the final game , all a bit pointless you know. so a mini-tournament would just add to the after the Lord Mayors show feel .
My thinking behind having a sort of farewell tournament would be an opportunity to make some extra money, give people an extra couple of chance to get to Goodison before the move, exactly what they were trying to do with these Gwladys Street events, except would probably attract much bigger crowds. They could still parade some of these "heroes" they were going to parade in the middle of October on a Wednesday night too.

My thinking behind having a sort of farewell tournament would be an opportunity to make some extra money, give people an extra couple of chance to get to Goodison before the move, exactly what they were trying to do with these Gwladys Street events, except would probably attract much bigger crowds. They could still parade some of these "heroes" they were going to parade in the middle of October on a Wednesday night too.
I take your point but my first question would be where would these people be sitting ? Because it won’t be in my seat , not unless they’re a fair distance away from the stadium :D

The end of that final game feels like the end of an era , the end of everton at goodison . I’m ok with stuff leading up to it , do what you like to maximise your profit but I’d rather we walked away after what will be an incredibly emotional afternoon / evening

It was midweek in August and cost £55+ to sit in the Gwladys Street.

It was always a complete non-starter and those who organised it would do well to reflect and consider whether they know their product and audience. There's no excuse really - there's no shortage of people to soundboard ideas too.
They had one planned for October as well. Probably thought they could do this a few times again during the season until they saw how slow the take up was for the one in August.

It was midweek in August and cost £55+ to sit in the Gwladys Street.

It was always a complete non-starter and those who organised it would do well to reflect and consider whether they know their product and audience. There's no excuse really - there's no shortage of people to soundboard ideas too.

Imagine having this the week of the final game at Goodison - you wouldn't be able to get a ticket.

With respect to those players , in terms of speaking about their playing days, for most of them it would be limited conversation.

Looking at the availability of tickets before the postponement , it’s been a dud.

If there has been engagement and meetings on these things and with the kit as well, questions have to be asked about who exactly are they getting feedback from.
I think thats totally wrong to be honest I don't really understand why people think having a won a medal with Everton would make you a better storyteller. I've been to loads of sportsmens dinners and some of the best speakers are lesser known people who've managed to make a career out of it because they're good at it instead of just because they're famous enough to keep getting booked.

I'd personally be happy if Goodison was knocked down 5 minutes after the final home game of this season. No fond memories for me there - our biggest and most important game of my lifetime, Villarreal, we lost and played horribly. That's basically it - too young to have understood the mid-80s success.
That's so sad. I'm genuinely sad that that's all you take away from Goodison.

I've got so many happy memories there. Both on and off the pitch. The laughs I've had with friends and family. The feeling of seeing Goodison every season. It's special. Loads of goals and moments on the pitch too.

Being an Evertonian is hard and depressing. None of us sadly expect any good times. But to say no fond memories of Goodison is madness to me. None?

I think thats totally wrong to be honest I don't really understand why people think having a won a medal with Everton would make you a better storyteller. I've been to loads of sportsmens dinners and some of the best speakers are lesser known people who've managed to make a career out of it because they're good at it instead of just because they're famous enough to keep getting booked.
You have a point, but it depends on whose organising it and at what price. I agree, you have players such as Tim Cahill, Howard, James Vaughan, Anichebe, Neville even somebody like Felaini who would be good to listen to, for different reasons. They didn't win anything at Everton, but you would still get something out of listening to them. This event just strikes at Everton trying to exploit our fans.

That's so sad. I'm genuinely sad that that's all you take away from Goodison.

I've got so many happy memories there. Both on and off the pitch. The laughs I've had with friends and family. The feeling of seeing Goodison every season. It's special. Loads of goals and moments on the pitch too.

Being an Evertonian is hard and depressing. None of us sadly expect any good times. But to say no fond memories of Goodison is madness to me. None?
I guess the best memory was around '95 when our dad got us into the players' lounge and we were able to meet a fair few of the team; Matt Jackson, David Unsworth, Big Nev, Stuart, Rideout, Horne I recall all meeting. Sadly the two main players I really wanted to see, Duncan and Andrei, one was MOM and doing media duties, the other was injured and not there. I was 10 at the time so it felt quite magical and surreal - had my little EFC autograph book with me bought from the club shop and it was quite fantastic.

I've been to about 50-75 games in total so not a frequent match-goer by any stretch of the imagination (and it will remain the case going forward), so I can't really talk to having boatloads of fond memories with friends there, etc.

One thing which I do like, as I only get back to the UK every now and again, is the feeling of walking back up to Goodison after one, two or even three years. Unfortunately it's usually followed by two hours of appalling football or at least the feeling that even if we win it's not going to propel us to any kind of success.

Hopefully things improve in the success department in the future!

You have a point, but it depends on whose organising it and at what price. I agree, you have players such as Tim Cahill, Howard, James Vaughan, Anichebe, Neville even somebody like Felaini who would be good to listen to, for different reasons. They didn't win anything at Everton, but you would still get something out of listening to them. This event just strikes at Everton trying to exploit our fans.
My point was more that Simon Davies being funny enough to make you laugh out loud and Steve Watson dishing some proper dirt on his old team mates and managers can be a lot more entertaining than Kevin sheedy telling us how great the team spirit was in the 80s and what a privilege it is to be at the club and about Howard Kendall opening the window at stoke so I don’t think whether the players won trophies is relevant to how good the night would be. I think it was a bad idea but not really for the reasons some people are saying.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.