2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a good player, to begin with. But seems our system has been found out recently - he's not much involved in midfield play and seems to disappear a bit inbetween boxes. Love it when he arrives late or picks a great pass, but that's just so rare to see these days. He's not been great, but it's not down to him alone.

Reactions: Sy-
Put him in the man city team and he would be a different player imo.

Singling good players out for playing badly when the whole team is massively disjointed is daft and we do it all the time.

Just like under RM, koemi and fat sam, good players do not become bad over night, you need to look at the bigger picture rather than resorting to the usual derisory comments.

Put him in the man city team and he would be a different player imo.

Singling good players out for playing badly when the whole team is massively disjointed is daft and we do it all the time.

Just like under RM, koemi and fat sam, good players do not become bad over night, you need to look at the bigger picture rather than resorting to the usual derisory comments.

He’d never get into the Man City squad because he’s not good enough. And he was never a good player to start with, he’s a massively overrated inconsistent player whose entire career is solely based on stats rather than what he offers to the team

He has a list of what he can’t do rather than what he can. The entire team needs to be built for him, so much so even silva has changed his plans for Everton to accommodate him

He’d never get into the Man City squad because he’s not good enough. And he was never a good player to start with, he’s a massively overrated inconsistent player whose entire career is solely based on stats rather than what he offers to the team

He has a list of what he can’t do rather than what he can. The entire team needs to be built for him, so much so even silva has changed his plans for Everton to accommodate him

I love how you're replying to a post that states "Singling good players out for playing badly when the whole team is massively disjointed is daft and we do it all the time" and you go on and do exactly that. Mate he's not a bad footballer allright. You won't succeed at making the case that he is.

You want to replace a player who has scored 9 goals so far this season, with 2 utter midgets neither of which have a single goal between them bar against some League One farmers?

Its certainly a bold call my frandelino, BOLD CALL.

He can score 25 goals, if they’re all scored in draws or defeats, its not really helping.

I just want midfielders who get on the ball & dictate play. Not one that just sticks a leg out at everything.

IMHO, our whole performance is being stifled by him.

He's a good player, to begin with. But seems our system has been found out recently - he's not much involved in midfield play and seems to disappear a bit inbetween boxes. Love it when he arrives late or picks a great pass, but that's just so rare to see these days. He's not been great, but it's not down to him alone.

Spot on, Gomes and Gueye both sit deep, which widens the gap so opponents can prioritize closing off the wings, which is our only play.

We had a strong 10 minutes after half time on Saturday and it looked very much due to Sigurdsson being told to drop deeper for the ball, but it didn't last long.

Gomes has gone completely off the boil, McCarthy is my first choice to come in, but failing that I'd sooner try dropping Sigurdsson into Gomes' position and put Lookman in front of them.

By what measure? At least you need to find some parameters we can agree to grade him on. For most football nerds, statistics are used. Things like goals, pass completion, and the like. According to statistics accumulators like Whoscored, you can see he is rated as our 2nd best player this year after Digne. Would you say that their assessment is incorrect, mate?

How do I assess him?? With these

200w.gif

Spot on, Gomes and Gueye both sit deep, which widens the gap so opponents can prioritize closing off the wings, which is our only play.

We had a strong 10 minutes after half time on Saturday and it looked very much due to Sigurdsson being told to drop deeper for the ball, but it didn't last long.

Gomes has gone completely off the boil, McCarthy is my first choice to come in, but failing that I'd sooner try dropping Sigurdsson into Gomes' position and put Lookman in front of them.

Indeed, that's what i was getting at. There's a lot of options, but I'm leaning towards changing formation rather than personnel. Put Davies or McCarthy in there to add support, or ask the striker to help out more. There's a case to be made for Richarlison being at fault for Siggy's disappearing act.

My point exactly! Your subjective view of this is prone to fallacy, isn't it?

It's quite apt that you chose to illustrate that using a picture of the eyes of Gollum, a fictional character whose foremost attributes are corruption, delusion and untrustworthiness.

Amazing correlation between Gollum and Gylfi there, didn’t notice it myself but well done

Indeed, that's what i was getting at. There's a lot of options, but I'm leaning towards changing formation rather than personnel. Put Davies or McCarthy in there to add support, or ask the striker to help out more. There's a case to be made for Richarlison being at fault for Siggy's disappearing act.

Yep, our play and movement around the box is painfully basic, without bodies getting up in support, even just as decoys it all breaks down far too easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back