2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is point the point I was making though, he is far from crap just playing in the wrong system

There's hundreds of players in world football more suited to building a system around though. That's the problem - he's nowhere near good enough to accommodate; he should be accommodating others instead.

A luxury player. A footballer who flatters to deceive, then gains fans like Blue Toff who, unfortunately, are blinded by the odd bit of genius he produces.

If your wingers aren't scoring goals they aren't Doin enough at all..
Look at sane, sterling, mane, Felipe Anderson, even Ryan fraser. All get goals

If our wingers had a 10 who can draw a defence & put a ball on a sixpence like the players those wingers play with, then I’m sure they’d be scoring goals.

Look, you rate Sigurdsson. That’s your right. I think we miss out on far more than we gain with him in the side.

If our wingers had a 10 who can draw a defence & put a ball on a sixpence like the players those wingers play with, then I’m sure they’d be scoring goals.

Look, you rate Sigurdsson. That’s your right. I think we miss out on far more than we gain with him in the side.
All about opinions.
At times he can do more yes.
But there are a lot of players doing a lot less too

Wanted to say sorry by the way I started it & was letting my frustrations out on our current situation apologies. I’ve looked at your posts & you talk a lot of sense I’m just very frustrated as I’m sure you are too.

Not a problem at all mate, don't worry about it! Sorry for my part in it too. ;)

No team he ever plays for can be anything other than an average mid table team. Because he can only play well with a very specific set up around him, and then with that he is not good enough himself to lift that side above a certain level. We are not going to improve while he’s in the side, doesn’t matter who we buy. There’s a reason he’s 29 and never had a big club interested in him ever.

Okay

All about opinions.
At times he can do more yes.
But there are a lot of players doing a lot less too

This.

He's been crap lately, not offering enough.

But he can never win. Same old people have had it out for him from the start. It's boring. I honestly don't know what he needs to do. When he drops deep, he gets accused of not getting into scoring positions. When he stays high, he gets accused of not dropping deep to get involved.

He's our leading scorer and hasn't been playing well for about 6 weeks. Says more about the rest of our squad, surely...

Why isn't Gomes getting the same amount of stick? He has been far worse in the last few weeks. Bordered on being a liability on Saturday, tbh.

We've seen with both of them that on form they're very good players. At the moment nobody is on form. Just don't get why it's suddenly Gylfi's fault that everyone else is tosh.

The system isn't 'built around him' at all, not one bit. All of our play goes down the flanks. When we play through Gylfi, something usually happens...

There's hundreds of players in world football more suited to building a system around though. That's the problem - he's nowhere near good enough to accommodate; he should be accommodating others instead.

A luxury player. A footballer who flatters to deceive, then gains fans like Blue Toff who, unfortunately, are blinded by the odd bit of genius he produces.

We don't build our system around Gylfi.

In our last few league games, here's the 'attacking thirds' percentages.

S'ton
41% left, 22% centre, 37% right

B'mouth
37% left, 22% centre, 41% right

Leicester
33% left, 22% centre, 45% right

So the argument that the system is built around him is void.

You could easily just say the system is built around Gana/Gomes because all you're basing it on is that he's central in the formation, surely?

IF our system was built around him, everything would go through him. It doesn't, not nearly enough.

Now my argument is that that's down to Gylfi's poor form lately, him not doing enough when on the ball etc, getting marked out of games but also the players around him playing poorly - especially Gomes, whose job it is is to get the ball to him.

You can say, and to an extent I agree, that the system is being made to accommodate him. Maybe that's a fair assessment and maybe we should get away from that. But it's not built around him. As a team we are built around attacking down our flanks, as is quite clear from the stats and simply having eyes.

No way do we look to play through him, everything is down the wing.

There's a reason why the likes of Digne has made more crosses than any other player in the league.

No way do we look to play through him, everything is down the wing.

There's a reason why the likes of Digne has made more crosses than any other player in the league.

My shock is that most of our attacks recently have come down the right. I'm gonna scroll back to our 'good' run and see what the attacking third %'s are. It's a good indication of how we attack as a team (obviously, it would help if any of our attacking players - Gylfi included - would make better runs off the ball).

We go down the flanks all the time because Gylfi isn't good enough at 10, he scores goals, worldies mostly but we create absolutely nothing through the middle and when the wingers are doubled up on this is a massive problem.

There are good arguments both ways on Gylfi both sides have valid points. My point is, I seethe 10 as the main playmaker and creator in a team but we play with wingers and utilise the wingers to death, in that situatiom I don't think Gylfi offers enough for us to change play style. hence we have become very predictable, shut down the wings and shut downEverton. Problem also that we are heavy down the flanks but no target man to enjoy all the crosses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back