2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no, it hasn’t done very often in his case actually.
So if he scores and we do not win then I can see why it would be his fault. I love that people are still annoyed about his fee so do mental gymnastics to blame him for not carrying the team. Yes he is in poor form but him and Richarlison can only do so much. If the rest of the team chipped in with a few more goals we may start winning.

So if he scores and we do not win then I can see why it would be his fault. I love that people are still annoyed about his fee so do mental gymnastics to blame him for not carrying the team. Yes he is in poor form but him and Richarlison can only do so much. If the rest of the team chipped in with a few more goals we may start winning.

That’s the point.

If he could perform the role of an actual midfielder then other players would probably score more goals and the team would be better off overall

That’s the point.

If he could perform the role of an actual midfielder then other players would probably score more goals and the team would be better off overall
You mean like creating the most chances in the premier league? "DER JUS STATS HE DUSNT GET INVOLVED ENUFFFFFF!!!!!"

Think we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

How many points have his goals won us this season?

Edit: 9 points I’ve worked it out as. 9 of 30. That’s not too bad considering he’s been so poor.

Everyone asking for him to be dropped, do we have anyone else in the squad that we can play here?

I mean realistically, not the FM and FIFA shouts of Lookman or Bernard.

That’s the point.

He has created plenty of chances this season. How is it his fault if they aren't put away?

Recently he hasn't been playing well.

But he isn't used as a midfielder either. He's used pretty much as a striker.

Look at his fee and understandably you can say he is under performing considering. Don't look at his fee and judge him with our other players then you can understandably say he is one of our better players. I would have him playing every week.because he is good.

He has created plenty of chances this season. How is it his fault if they aren't put away?

Recently he hasn't been playing well.

But he isn't used as a midfielder either. He's used pretty much as a striker.

This. Its nonsense that we're playing 4231, he spends more time up top than R9.
We've been playing 442 without a target man. It is literally madness. Weirdest 442, I've seen...

Mate for 45m he should be setting himself up, scoring and saving penos apparently

This. Its nonsense that we're playing 4231, he spends more time up top than R9.
We've been playing 442 without a target man. It is literally madness. Weirdest 442, I've seen...

I think we saw how it could work well in our good run, tbf.

Gylfi is key to it working because of the press. And in fairness, in the earlier parts of the season he was dropping off and getting the ball in between the oppo box and the halfway line and looking to play from there. That's where he creates chances from, that 30-20 yard out mark.

He isn't doing that lately as much and when he is he has been sloppy more often than not. I'm not using his positioning to excuse his poor play.

But, as you say, we don't actually play him as a midfielder, until we go 1-0 down and Silva panics and does that ludicrous thing of throwing all of our attacking players on so we're just left with a gap of 30 yards between Gana and the rest of the team.

I think we saw how it could work well in our good run, tbf.

Gylfi is key to it working because of the press. And in fairness, in the earlier parts of the season he was dropping off and getting the ball in between the oppo box and the halfway line and looking to play from there. That's where he creates chances from, that 30-20 yard out mark.

He isn't doing that lately as much and when he is he has been sloppy more often than not. I'm not using his positioning to excuse his poor play.

But, as you say, we don't actually play him as a midfielder, until we go 1-0 down and Silva panics and does that ludicrous thing of throwing all of our attacking players on so we're just left with a gap of 30 yards between Gana and the rest of the team.

I'm using his position to excuse his poor play. He is a second striker, but if he is going to be a second striker, it needs to be behind a number 9 whos duty is to have the back to goal. Alas players like Giroud, dare I say Mitrovic etc. R9 isn't that good with his back to goal, nor should we expect him to be given the type of 9 he is.

And yes it did work well in our good run, but when Gomes/Gueye aren't playing at their absolute best, we get found out. There is a reason majority of clubs don't play 442 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back