2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for admitting that he is rubbish.

Nah, good player.

He's mainly been in the team through our bad run because unfortunately he's one of our only players who can pick a pass.

Like I've said above, if he misses out on Saturday - which I'm fine with - Gomes is gonna need to step up and do both roles (not sure if Bernard will start).

He's not rubbish. He's our joint-top scorer and best creative player - by far. It says more about the rest of our squad that that's still the case after he's been tosh for the past month or so.

Like I said C, happy for him to sit out if it benefits the team currently. If he doesn't fit in a 4-3-3, so be it.

That's poor logic sorry. If he wasn't playing, another would be. He isn't independent from the poor form of the team as a whole - indeed, my view is that he's largely responsible for it. Not completely, but he's such a square peg in a round hole that he actively harms how we play.

We can't afford to play 4 attackers. We aren't good enough.

We need to play 433.

The number 10 role in football is pretty much dead. You need to play fast and direct. He needs to play wide left, in a midfield 3, or more likely, be a sub.

Inclined to agree with this. David Silva, who is an absolute gem of a creative player, now plays in a midfield 3. It’s only really Hazard flying the creative number 10 flag now. It’s about having a dynamic, fluid attack, not just going through one man.

He's not rubbish. He's our joint-top scorer and best creative player - by far. It says more about the rest of our squad that that's still the case after he's been tosh for the past month or so.

Like I said C, happy for him to sit out if it benefits the team currently. If he doesn't fit in a 4-3-3, so be it.
I agree. The Gylf is quality, but if we cant play like we did early in the season, where he was effective for us, we shouldnt shoehorn him in. The team performance is the most important.
There are a couple of players id sacrifice way before him, as they are bigger detriments to us collecting points.

That's poor logic sorry. If he wasn't playing, another would be. He isn't independent from the poor form of the team as a whole - indeed, my view is that he's largely responsible for it. Not completely, but he's such a square peg in a round hole that he actively harms how we play.

If...

His replacement is Davies - no goals this season, one assist.

His replacement is Lookman - one goal this season, three assists.

His replacement is Bernard - one goal this season, three assists.

So not really poor logic. He's been playing because we don't particularly have anyone else who is reliably creative - which he is, even if he 'needs to do more' in the overall game (which I won't disagree with based on the last few appearances).

I'm not even going to dispute that shoehorning him in hasn't helped us. But the point is I can see why he has been shoehorned in.

Also, earlier in the season, he wasn't been shoehorned him. He was working well as a second striker both on and off the ball.

If...

His replacement is Davies - no goals this season, one assist.

His replacement is Lookman - one goal this season, three assists.

His replacement is Bernard - one goal this season, three assists.

So not really poor logic.

No it really is, and what's more you've displayed even worse logic here.

Those players haven't played in the same role, and if they played in a different system our return could easily be a lot higher as a team.

Tom Davies looked more threatening and effective in terms of impact on the game against City than Gylfi has for months against weaker teams.

No it really is, and what's more you've displayed even worse logic here.

Those players haven't played in the same role, and if they played in a different system our return could easily be a lot higher as a team.

Tom Davies looked more threatening and effective in terms of impact on the game against City than Gylfi has for months against weaker teams.

How?

If we need a creative player in the side, then those three are the most likely ones to come in at Gyfli's expense.

I have no issue with changing the system like he now has done - I've said as much for months.

I also said if Gylfi doesn't fit, then so be it.

But I can see why we haven't changed system, because Silva has wanted Gylfi in the side. And a lot of that will be down to not having replacements with a proven record of scoring goals and creating chances.

Davies has done well in this new look 4-3-3 type system, and I hope it continues.

You said exactly this about Lukaku. You downplayed his goals and said another type of striker like Tosun would improve us as a team.

That didn't happen, did it... :p

The "If he wasn't playing, someone else would be and we'd be doing better" is a tad silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back