2018/19 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s far and away our best player.

The claims that he’s lazy or hides show just how ignorant some fans are.

It's bizarre if our fans were Southampton fans in the 90's they would be begging to sell Matt Le Tissier to keep Nel Shipperley or Jim Magilton for no apparent reason because all Le Tissier did was score goals and create chances the waste of space

Coutinho going was the best that happenned to them. They stumbled across the right blend because of that.

We lack the goals is our problem. I'd love to drop him and play a completely different system but it's not that simple when you are as toothless as we are.
If they still had him im sure the title would be theres, ok it still might be but with him this season they would be on another level again, im just glad they are a selling club

I don't get it... We played a City side who let the opposition play because they know they will create more and we created absolutely nothing. Nearly every team that have played city lately have calved out 2-3 decent chances and we had none so we're saying that dropping Sig who creates chances was a master stroke because we played better but we created no chances. I've said it 3-4 times this season he is the most effective player we have Bernard can run around but creates nothing, Walcott is fast but creates nothing, Davies/Gueye are tenacious but create nothing, Gomes is silky but actually creates nothing, DCL creates nothing with all these players we look like we can keep the ball and cause problems but we actually create nothing. Sig creates things he plays the killer pass something no-one else in this squad can do. We can look defensively great we can look composed in possession it means nothing without unlocking the defence and that's what Sig does. I'd take someone who does nothing for 90 mins except have 2 shots score a goal and create 1-2 chances for the rest of the team over a bunch of players who make it look like something might happen but it never actually does any day of the week.

Welcome to the forum, Gylfi

I don't get it... We played a City side who let the opposition play because they know they will create more and we created absolutely nothing. Nearly every team that have played city lately have calved out 2-3 decent chances and we had none so we're saying that dropping Sig who creates chances was a master stroke because we played better but we created no chances. I've said it 3-4 times this season he is the most effective player we have Bernard can run around but creates nothing, Walcott is fast but creates nothing, Davies/Gueye are tenacious but create nothing, Gomes is silky but actually creates nothing, DCL creates nothing with all these players we look like we can keep the ball and cause problems but we actually create nothing. Sig creates things he plays the killer pass something no-one else in this squad can do. We can look defensively great we can look composed in possession it means nothing without unlocking the defence and that's what Sig does. I'd take someone who does nothing for 90 mins except have 2 shots score a goal and create 1-2 chances for the rest of the team over a bunch of players who make it look like something might happen but it never actually does any day of the week.

We're usually losing when he does this.

Davies is actually capable of the occasional killer pass too, but the rest is hard to argue with.

That said, the issue with Sigurdsson (or more so the formation that involves him) is he doesn't come deep for the ball nearly enough, pair that with Gueye and Gomes who usually sit deep and we have a gulf between the two lines. The result is we hit the wings before we even get over half way and usually end up having to go backwards or sideways because it's all too easy to smother.

Davies is actually capable of the occasional killer pass too, but the rest is hard to argue with.

That said, the issue with Sigurdsson (or more so the formation that involves him) is he doesn't come deep for the ball nearly enough, pair that with Gueye and Gomes who usually sit deep and we have a gulf between the two lines. The result is we hit the wings before we even get over half way and usually end up having to go backwards or sideways because it's all too easy to smother.

Yep.

It's okay saying Siggurdson should have more movement around him to get the best out of him...but in order for that to happen, your Gomes' Gana Davies' need more movement/help in front of them. Something Siggurdson doesn't do.

I'd say we're not getting the most out of what Gomes can do rather than siggy.

He hasn't been playing well recently and at the moment I have no issue with him starting on the bench if going 4-3-3 benefits the team more.

Btw, Gylfi can play in a three - he showed that v Huddersfield (albeit a crap Huddersfield side) - and at times when we're looking to get on the front foot in terms of dominating possession we definitely need someone with a bit of craft which Gylfi possesses.

For now I think 4-3-3 is the way to go so I'd start him on the bench. I'd also like to see another system as 3-4-1-2, and in that system I think Gylfi could easily work as the '1' between midfield and attack - think similar to the role he played in the later stages of the Burnley game. That requires two mobile CFs to stretch the opposition defence, but gives us enough width with the wing backs and enough solidity in midfield.

But at the moment, don't go shoehorning him in.

Yep.

It's okay saying Siggurdson should have more movement around him to get the best out of him...but in order for that to happen, your Gomes' Gana Davies' need more movement/help in front of them. Something Siggurdson doesn't do.

I'd say we're not getting the most out of what Gomes can do rather than siggy.

v Watford on Saturday I'd like to see the same team as City with one or two tweaks - and they'd only come in the front three.

Keep the midfield the same as they need to battle and get about.

I will say - and this relates to your point - that Gomes then needs to be the player who takes responsibility for the creativity in that area in the main. He did it to an extent v Wolves but overall the team was poor. But if we can get a settled three then he needs to be the one that drives us up the pitch. That will also require Davies and the front three to be stretching the opposition and opening space for Gomes to burst into.

I think the midfield are our biggest problem, they get overrun so our defence is constantly on the back foot and they don't create anything. When your engine room is bust you aren't going very far.

It's not Gylfis fault obviously but the formation sucks, if we are going to continue using wide forwards then we need the extra body in the middle.

[QUOTE="BernieH, post: 6847989, member: 46939"]
I think the midfield are our biggest problem, they get overrun so our defence is constantly on the back foot and they don't create anything. When your engine room is bust you aren't going very far.

It's not Gylfis fault obviously but the formation sucks, if we are going to continue using wide forwards then we need the extra body in the middle.
[/QUOTE]

It's been an issue for years, we haven't had a competetive midfield since the Arteta, Fellaini, Cahill days.

He hasn't been playing well recently and at the moment I have no issue with him starting on the bench if going 4-3-3 benefits the team more.

Btw, Gylfi can play in a three - he showed that v Huddersfield (albeit a crap Huddersfield side) - and at times when we're looking to get on the front foot in terms of dominating possession we definitely need someone with a bit of craft which Gylfi possesses.

For now I think 4-3-3 is the way to go so I'd start him on the bench. I'd also like to see another system as 3-4-1-2, and in that system I think Gylfi could easily work as the '1' between midfield and attack - think similar to the role he played in the later stages of the Burnley game. That requires two mobile CFs to stretch the opposition defence, but gives us enough width with the wing backs and enough solidity in midfield.

But at the moment, don't go shoehorning him in.
P, please, just say he's rubbish

P, please, just say he's rubbish

He's not rubbish. He's our joint-top scorer and best creative player - by far. It says more about the rest of our squad that that's still the case after he's been tosh for the past month or so.

Like I said C, happy for him to sit out if it benefits the team currently. If he doesn't fit in a 4-3-3, so be it.

He's not rubbish. He's our joint-top scorer and best creative player - by far. It says more about the rest of our squad that that's still the case after he's been tosh for the past month or so.

Like I said C, happy for him to sit out if it benefits the team currently. If he doesn't fit in a 4-3-3, so be it.

I agree that it says more about the rest of our squad, but it still doesn’t make him good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back