Transfer Rumour Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think Pickford at £30M and Sigurdsson if he came at £40+M would be reasonable and justifiable?!

I don't think Sugurdsson is worth £25M to be fair. Pickford is a calculated gamble. If he fulfils his potential then all is well. The other signings are what you would call market value.
To return to your argument that Everton is becoming a laughing stock due to paying OTT prices, is just off.
Everton are being perceived as showing ambition. We haven't done that in over 20 years. Winners show ambition, losers ruminate.

Just the market?

Can you tell me who else are paying drunken sailor prices consistently like we are in this league right now?

I find it all quite seedy, tbh. And I think a lot of people will become VERY uncomfortable and wary if this Sigurdsson robbery takes place.

Bournemouth paid 15m for Jordan Ibe last season mate.

Being young with a price tag on them doesn't guarantee anything.

Sigurdsson, yes. I have petitioned for his arrival for a long time. He is quality. However, 27 years old and throwing anything like over and above £35M at a deal is laughable.

It's just outrageous prices and we should have the courage to laugh in Swansea's face and walk off.

Maybe Walsh can actually do the job he's paid for and unearth quality for a fraction of these prices?

But pedigree as well as being shining young lights at their respective clubs, two have met a high standard at PL level in defences absolutely smashed last season and the third who led his team out in a European final. All three Internationals and likely World Cup players next year. They were ripe.

Two years ago admittedly they prob would have been 15 mill, but inflation happens, I think they are reasonable prices with a decade of careers in front of them. Remember when people were saying 28mill was to much for Rom.

North of 40 mill isn't a value signing for Gylfi, I can understand controversey. But when you look at the development of Chelsea and City in establishing themselves as CL teams the years are littered with players they paid a premium for to establish a foothold to qualify for the CL. It's a necessary fact of our development if we have ambitions to get to the CL.

D
Barkley and Lukaku. They join the sale of Stones last season and tell you all you need to know about this current regime that came in promising to keep all the club's best players.

First three windows of them in place = a massive exercise in churn.

I find it appalling that so many have simply gone for the big swoon over paying ridiculous prices that;s come out of the players sold so far.

Sigurdsson at £40M or so would just be an outrageous step too far.

Improving our defence in a massive way and pocketing £40m would be regarded by most as a master stroke. Lukaku wanted to go after having his best ever season. Koeman probably earned us an extra £25m just with one season of proper coaching. Del is no great loss. Great in the Capital One cup, useless in the league.

A step too far for a significant upgrade to our squad?

Significant upgrade can be done for much less.

I suggest we find a way of doing it and call time on these clubs mugging us for £15M over the reasonable price limit.

Atm it;s a case of "Eh lads, Everton are this season's mug club. Get over there with your players and rob them bind".

Just tell them to koff and walk away. Have some dignity FFS.

Keane £25M
Klaassen £15M
Pickford £15M

Just those three we could have spent £29M less.

Sandro/Onyekuru (haven't seen them so no idea how to value them)
Rooney on a free is a saving grace of this window so far.
With all respect @davek if the club thought we could attain the players for those prices, don't you think they would have done.
Januzzi has one decent game for united (away at Sunderland) he's gone for 10m today. Cleverley 8m. Ake to Bournemouth 20m. Salah 39m to Liverpool. The market has gone crazy, but not crazy enough to spend 50m on siguardsson, a player I admire btw.

Just the market?

Can you tell me who else are paying drunken sailor prices consistently like we are in this league right now?

I find it all quite seedy, tbh. And I think a lot of people will become VERY uncomfortable and wary if this Sigurdsson robbery takes place.
Let's use Rom as a yard stick. He cost Utd 80m, he cost us 28m, Costa was around 32m at that time. Let's say without inflation that would make Rom around 35m-40m in today's money.

That makes Pickford and Keane 15m, Sigurdsson 25m.

Would you really have been surprised if they went for that money back then?

It's the market.

I just think Sigurdsson isn't what we need. Good player but let's be honest he wouldn't get a game at any of the other top 6 clubs.

I don't think Sugurdsson is worth £25M to be fair. Pickford is a calculated gamble. If he fulfils his potential then all is well. The other signings are what you would call market value.
To return to your argument that Everton is becoming a laughing stock due to paying OTT prices is just off.
Everton are being perceived as showing ambition. We haven't done that in over 20 years. Winners show ambition, losers ruminate.
At the end of the day mate it's selling to buy, not ambition...as the final in/out totals will underline.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't demand wise buying of players though.

There is reckless spending going on at the club right now. It's just not on.

With all respect @davek if the club thought we could attain the players for those prices, don't you think they would have done.
Januzzi has one decent game for united (away at Sunderland) he's gone for 10m today. Cleverley 8m. Ake to Bournemouth 20m. Salah 39m to Liverpool. The market has gone crazy, but not crazy enough to spend 50m on siguardsson, a player I admire btw.
They didn't try mate. Koeman wanted them in asap and no bargaining took place it looks to me.

I suggest we find a way of doing it and call time on these clubs mugging us for £15M over the reasonable price limit.

Atm it;s a case of "Eh lads, Everton are this season's mug club. Get over there with your players and rob them bind".

I understand your point, but you're complaining about our net spend figure in one instance being too paltry and in another sentence your complaining we're spending too much. You can't have it both ways.

Name it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back