Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
We seem to have signed a £45m player who is only capable of operating effectively in a 5m square of pitch.

I'll keep saying it until I'm blue in the face he is performing for us exactly how he performed for Swansea. The only difference is the ball ending up in the back of the net. If he'd been on the pitch to take the penalty it would have been a classic Gylfi performance.

No way would I have trusted him to take that penalty.

No way would I have trusted him to take that penalty.

Not sure if his confidence is shot or not. I'm pretty sure we are just getting what we paid for.

It was indeed the classic Gylfi performance though.

19 touches in 85 minutes however he managed 5 crosses and 1 shot. If one of those crosses was converted and he'd be on the pitch to score the pen it would have looked on the highlights like he was MOTM.

Not sure if his confidence is shot or not. I'm pretty sure we are just getting what we paid for.

It was indeed the classic Gylfi performance though.

19 touches in 85 minutes however he managed 5 crosses and 1 shot. If one of those crosses was converted and he'd be on the pitch to score the pen it would have looked on the highlights like he was MOTM.

He's a playmaker who never looks like assisting anyone, not once has he threaded a ball through to a striker since he joined the club, he doesn't find those pockets of space that proper number 10s like Ozil and Silva do. He cost more than both of them too.

When I think Watford paid £10m for Richarlison, 20 years old, highly rated big, quick, strong, scored 4 in 10 and ideal for us and we paid £45m for Sigurdsson who doesn't fit into any formation I despair of our scouting.

I think he is just bereft of confidence. He will be here for years so hopefully he plays his way back under our new manager.

He's a playmaker who never looks like assisting anyone, not once has he threaded a ball through to a striker since he joined the club, he doesn't find those pockets of space that proper number 10s like Ozil and Silva do. He cost more than both of them too.

He played through Vlasic with that flick against Limassol.

It's kind of hard to play throughballs when Rooney is behind him, like.

He has created loads of chances purely from his set pieces this season.

Barkley coming back and hopefully staying will be great.

Play Gylfi in his correct role - central - with Ross on the flanks as last year but with the freedom to drop in.

Ross can run the game. Gylfi can pick up the pieces.

He looked better yesterday once moved centrally. He works hard to get up the pitch and really should have scored. Pass was slightly behind him but should have done better, same goes for Baines earlier in the game.

There's a place for Gylfi in this side though. There ain't for Rooney, at the moment.

Reactions: gez

When I think Watford paid £10m for Richarlison, 20 years old, highly rated big, quick, strong, scored 4 in 10 and ideal for us and we paid £45m for Sigurdsson who doesn't fit into any formation I despair of our scouting.

Gylfi does fit though.

He just doesn't fit with Rooney. They're too similar so one - or as yesterday, both - of them end up as bit-part players.

He desperately needs a goal but he creates chances. Whether from set-pieces or from crosses in, he creates.

We looked twice the side once Rooney went off yesterday and we had two strikers.

He played through Vlasic with that flick against Limassol.

It's kind of hard to play throughballs when Rooney is behind him, like.

He has created loads of chances purely from his set pieces this season.

Barkley coming back and hopefully staying will be great.

Play Gylfi in his correct role - central - with Ross on the flanks as last year but with the freedom to drop in.

Ross can run the game. Gylfi can pick up the pieces.

He looked better yesterday once moved centrally. He works hard to get up the pitch and really should have scored. Pass was slightly behind him but should have done better, same goes for Baines earlier in the game.

There's a place for Gylfi in this side though. There ain't for Rooney, at the moment.

When Rooney is threading those balls through you mean...

When Rooney is threading those balls through you mean...

as in, if Gylfi is meant to be threading throughballs behind a defence, it's kind of hard when Rooney is playing striker as he doesn't make runs in behind...

We've looked at our best this season when Wayne hasn't played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back