2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
gary neville talking about arsenals's big players turning up today, it's subjective, but this line hits home about siggy so far

"They are leaders by their price tag, their reputation and their skill.

we all know he's a good footballer, but he should be taking responsibility for the side, make it his, and he isn't

Arsenal players turning up today but what about loads of other big games where they flap it. Gylfi needs to do more but its deffo a case of Everton fans making him out to worse than what hes actually been. Hes not been atrocious and hes not been amazing

Arsenal players turning up today but what about loads of other big games where they flap it. Gylfi needs to do more but its deffo a case of Everton fans making him out to worse than what hes actually been. Hes not been atrocious and hes not been amazing
that's why I said it's subjective, but the point stands, he needs to be more for the team

He has been poor generally but today however I didn’t think he did that well or that badly. If DCL finishes from that cut back, he finishes the game with two assists for his stats- and therein lies the truth with Gylfi Sigurdsson. He’s an ultimate fantasy premier league player. He’ll get assists and even a few goals, both mostly coming from set pieces. But when you actually watch him play regularly as we do now, you don’t feel like he’s really influencing the game over the course of 90 minutes.

He’ll never dictate the play or run the show. Not at the level we need him to. He’s a cog in a machine, and when the overall machine is poor, he’s poor. You can make a great highlights package out of him, but the truth is that from open play he’s never been that influential. He’s going to need to step it up a lot to succeed here. He needs to show that he wants the ball at all times so he can make things happen.

It’s really not all his fault that we decided to blow £45 million on him and on a version of him that doesn’t exist. I’m sure Swansea miss him. But the fact is that the expectations at Swansea are very different (at least they should be) from those at Everton. Unfortunately my worry is that when you reach 28 and you’re still at a club like Swansea then there’s a reason for that. Do we think that he somehow just went unnoticed and undervalued by all the top clubs across Europe for some unknown reason?

Just not worth the money at all...another 'Bolasie', 'Schneiderlin', 'Klaassen' big money signing to show we were 'flexing our muscles'...

There's no argument that he's not worth what we paid, but that's irrelevant now. We've really got to stop judging players against their pricetag and judge them for what they have to offer the team.

He needs a run of games in his best position. There can be no excuses for him after that. Lets say 7 to 10 games (some might say 5 or 6 games). Either way he needs to deliver better than what he haa so far.

Yeah, he was awful putting the ball right on DCL's foot at point blank range. He was awful putting it on a platter for Niasse. Seriously, how many bad touches did he make? He was not the problem today.

All about opinions mate, and you thought he was excellent, but in my opinion he really wasn't that good. In the first half he gave the ball away quite a bit, and he was just strolling round the pitch most of the time (the consensus round me at the game was that he should have been dragged off) and he may have had the assist for Niasse, and put a couple of good tackles in that I can remember of note, but that was about it. Agree he wasn't the main problem yesterday though.

The best bit about watching about him at the game yesterday was him fuming at the someone for not tracking back, was dead funny.

Last edited:
Major issue is the team needs to be focused around him, and we haven't and are showing no signs of doing that, he needs either pace around or something to aim for, preferably both, he has neither atm...
The thing is if you did all of that what's the upper limit he would get you to? Not that high I'd suggest. The long and short of it is we should never of bought him for £45 million.

With the greatest of respect, does anyone genuinely believe that Eriksen would prosper in the current team?
Siggy is working his balls off and offering assists / good deliveries.
Until we sort out the fact we can't seem to maintain possession from the defence out, he's just got to keep grafting.
I've no doubt he's a quality player.

gary neville talking about arsenals's big players turning up today, it's subjective, but this line hits home about siggy so far

"They are leaders by their price tag, their reputation and their skill.

we all know he's a good footballer, but he should be taking responsibility for the side, make it his, and he isn't

That's the thing for me, he should be stepping up to the plate, but this season he's mainly gone into hiding. We hear plenty saying he carried Swansea for yonks and was one of the main reasons they stayed up (something I actually said as well) now we've got to start seeing that with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back